1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Featured Forum Creations - Anything You Build/make/paint - Art, Sculpture (no Cars Or Bikes)

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by The Royal Maharaja, Dec 13, 2023.

1. Thought we could try a thread showing other things we tinker with outside of engines and bikes...I suspect a lot of people on here are building more than just motorbikes.

I've just finished these...took a decent amount of time to get them right, actually bloody ages. :rolleyes:

IMG_20231213_184038[1].jpg

• Like Like x 13
  2. Rietveld chairs! They look true to the originals to me. I always wondered what they'd be like to actually sit on...

• Like Like x 1
  3. amazingly comfortable...the angles are really well thought out :upyeah:

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. Had the welder out so spent a day making this 20230730_133324.jpg

• Like Like x 11
    • Love You Love You x 1
  5. mountains out of mole hills. i can make them.
    and landscaping. i appear to be quite good at that. doing most of it with sleepers so i'm learning a few wood skills.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Nice!!!! really only a day?? :)

7. Yes. My grandson (16) is on an engineering course so I set the welder up gave him a bit of instruction and let him loose.
    He made this in a day and a half. It will have a large ladybird sat on it 20231101_150958.jpg

• Like Like x 16
    • Like Like x 1
  8. I made this model plane engine a few year ago. It's a 50cc 5 cylinder radial. The only parts a didn't make aside from nuts, bolts, bearings and springs etc are the piston rings and the carburettor.
    IMG_20231214_100255_268.jpg IMG_20231214_100259_749.jpg IMG_20231214_100309_819.jpg IMG_20231214_100320_333.jpg IMG_20231214_100328_410.jpg
    It's a 4 stroke glow engine which runs on methanol/10% nitro methane and oil mix.
    Spins this 20x10 prop at 7000 rpm which equates to roughly 5 hp.
    Next project is a little sterling engine.

PS: I've since figured out how to make piston rings too.

• Like Like x 30
  9. Amazing! Beautiful too. :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. incredible, not that it's a competition, but I think the benchmark just got raised a few notches.

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. My main Hobby was oil painting but the only subject that interested me was aircraft
    I have long spells between putting brush to canvas but now I'm retired I fully intend to get stuck in

• Like Like x 5
  12. A thread closing post I’m afraid, my baking can’t compete with that marvel of engineering prowess.
    Flipping well is….

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Love You Love You x 1
  13. Every now and then I do a bit of pottery stuff.
    Here's one of my wonky vases.
    This piece I used an ancient Japanese technique called 'Nerikomi' where you blend coloured clay together.
    No paints involved, just chemistry, mixing oxides into the clay.

upload_2023-12-14_17-56-32.jpeg

• Like Like x 18
  14. Fixed that for you;)

Do you have your own kiln?

• Like Like x 1
  15. I don't do enough work to justify having my own kiln, but luckily I can hire space in one of the community run kilns in Stoke-on-Trent which isn’t too far away. Do you do any pottery/ceramics?

• Like Like x 2
  16. ooooo I like that

I like everything on this page too :)

• Like Like x 2
  17. No but my Mrs is a ceramics teacher which is very much a rarity, however due to funding issues ceramics isn’t being taught any longer.

18. That's really nice Todders, ceramics are super cool, shame it is no longer a valued craft.
    I've tinkered too ;)

IMG_20231214_202050.jpg

IMG_20231214_202039.jpg

• Like Like x 9
  19. It's such a shame ceramics isn't being taught in EVERY school! It's such a fun and creative process that gives kids the opportunity to learn about all types of design, history, structural engineering, chemistry, manufacturing processes... and because they are living in an environment where they spend so much time online, ceramics is one of the few activities that let's them create their own tangible items which could last for thousands of years. Such a shame.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information