1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Front Forks

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by acelav, Oct 19, 2016.

1. another question, has anyone had the forks on a 900ss ie rebuilt and what did you have done, and is it worth getting the rear shock rebuilt or better to get a new one and ho did they use ????

2. I can only answer with regards to my carby. I got Maxton internals and one of their shocks. Its been set up for my weight and riding style. I love it, vast improvement over stock. K Tech, Ohlins, Nitron, theres loads of options for either shocks or rebuilt forks, I would upgrade shock, not rebuild standard. I have an Ohlins on my SSie and my ST4s and they are very plush but I feel the road better on my Carby with the Maxton. It wasnae cheap but well worth it!

3. thanks for your thoughts, was thinking about maxton will have to give them a ring and see whats what

4. One of the journos in Performance Bikes, Rupert Paul had one for a few years and sorted it over a couples of years. Upgraded brakes, ecu, and forks and shock. He used Mark Brewin at BSD and experimented quite a bit with back and front suspension. The forks are a bit budget and not well designed apparently. One solution is GSXR 600/750 internals. I might have the relevant mags stashed away. Cant remember what shocks he tried. I have ohlins on my ie, a lot plusher ride. I like it a lot and it has adjustable ride height.

5. I have not touched the forks but I had a Wilbers shock

Wilbers Suspension UK

I had never heard of them but the bike was so much better after it made the front end feel much less crap

6. I would go to Maxton as their blurb about what to improve in handling echoes my thoughts exactly. Too hard for the road and runs wide. Carby worse than IE.

But I'm skint so I am breaking the posh bits on my bike.

7. One of the options I looked at, they are very good from what I read.

Maxton are very much awesome

8. Ian is your carby more plush than your ie then? I'd hope so....

9. Rich, no. The carby gives me more feedback from the road, It just feels really sorted, slightly firmer than the ie but I guess this is whats required to give you best feedback. I should add that it gets better the faster you ride! The ie is really nice too with its Ohlins rear. My ST4s is the plushest but its also the softest in the corners and under braking so my fave is the Maxton!

10. "Front Forks" ..why? Has your's got rear forks? ...sorry that's pedantic

• Like Like x 1
  11. Depending on your time scales my shock will be for sale soon. Bike going back to stock to sell in the new year.

12. Firmer? Jeez. I need to go with a different brief then. I want softer.

13. I said touring, fast road. Its firm but very good. You just tell them the setup you want when they make up the suspension

14. The Marzocchi forks on my SA were super-firm, so firm I'm convinced that's what causes the frames to crack. When my frame was replaced, I drained the stock 7.5 wt oil and replaced it with a 50/50 mix of 2.5 and 5. It made all the difference. Suddenly the forks were depressing on bumps instead of the frame flexing!
    I had more dive on braking but no more than with the 999 I replaced the SS with and the ride was so much plusher than before. The stock ride can only be described as harsh..

15. On the SS, the amount of oil has to be absolutely spot-on.......the slightest amount over and they become rock hard.

Apparently the Marzocchis do compression damping on one leg and rebound on the other. Regardless that it is quite normal for some other makes of bikes to have the same sort of set-up; personally I don't like it.

In my mind, there must be some sort of twisting action upon the yokes and headstock when the suspension is working.

That's why I changed over to the fully adjustable Showas.......you can actually feel them working properly.

16. thanks all for the thoughts and replys been on a jolly to london to see me mum so thats why no responce over the weekend will have a look at the info and a think and get back thanks :upyeah:

Do Not Sell My Personal Information