1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fuel Level Sensor

Discussion in 'Sport Touring' started by Poorly bobs dad, Jun 13, 2016.

1. Hello - you may remember my ST4S cafe racer project from a while back? its all finished now apart from an issue with the 916/996/998 tank, pump and fuel level sensor working with the ST4S dash - In a nutshell -
    I am trying to make a 996 tank / fuel pump and level sensor work with a ST4S wiring system. The bike is running and riding but I am struggling to get the level sensor to work. (I realise the level display on the ST dash won’t count down as standard – I just want the orange reserve light to come on to avoid running out of fuel)
    I can apply the correct resistors to the circuit to correct the 996/8 pump / level sensor to work with the ST dash but need a base line understanding of the 996/8 level sensor to avoid any damage when making the modifications.
    Question
    Please can anyone you tell me how the 996 fuel level sensor operates, I suspect it is like a 4-20ma sensor (with hysteresis to stop the reserve light flickering) but I don’t wish to damage it by applying 12v……
    Presently when I apply +12v to the white wire and expect to see a change in current on the output (we think the black wire should be pulled down to ground/negative via some resistor value – we don’t know what this is?!).
    Can anyone tell me if this is correct, and the output current change so that we can match it to our dashboard.
    If the sensor operates in a different manner to that described above please let us know.
    I would really appreciate any help you can offer!

011.JPG

004.JPG

2. Thread moved

Do Not Sell My Personal Information