1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help.! 1098s Won't Start.?

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Turbo1098s, Mar 13, 2016.

1. Hi and can anyone help...

Took bike out, filled up at petrol station and now it won't start.?

Got what I think is a code saying load, chef in a box and then underneath 005...

image.jpeg

2. Usually associated with battery issues. Check all your connections are tight on the battery.

How good is the battery? Fully charged? Replacement is probably due.

Also check the output from the R/R to the battery.

3. Have checked battery looks pretty new. It's been on trickle charge for last 3 hours. Battery charger says 13.4 volts so plenty in that. All fuses are ok.

Just can't get my head around the dash display.?

Also what is r/r.?

4. Anybody seen this display on the dash before.? image.jpeg

5. R/R = regulator / rectifier.
    Steve

6. What actually happens when you attempt to start, is there nothing at all? Does it turn over but not start, more info might help.
    A bad battery may show full charge but fail when put under load. I had this with my sons battery fully charged showing 13v on the charger and when the starter was pressed it dropped bellow 4v.
    Steve

• Like Like x 1
  7. Nothing at all happens, won't turn over. I Didn't check to see if it drops when I try and start it. The horn works and the light pass button but indicators and full beam don't.?

Have checked the obvious side stand thing but not that.

Can't understand why it says LOAD on the dash.?

A mate said about disconnecting the battery to reset ecu.? And re-recognise the key...

8. Those errors are certainly new to me!
    Do you have different battery to try? Remember V is the volts which isn't what starts the bike.
    Taking the battery on and off isn't going to reset anything.
    Have toggled the l/h switch to check for other errors?

9. Have tried all the switches. The up and down mode switch doesn't move to any other codes all that is on the dash is what is in the picture with all the lights at the bottom running back and forth like the knight rider...

Will have to try a few more things tomorrow as the problem apart from the obvious is I've got work tonight so have had to begrudgingly leave it in my mates garage...

Have only had it since Thursday and today was gonna be my proper ride out...

10. shit luck dude.. hope its nothing too serious

11. What? The dash lights are actually flashing?

12. Yep, running from both sides starting at the indicators, meeting in the middle and the going back out again... Just like knight rider...

13. Simple things first.
    Can you hear the starter solenoid click when you press the button? If you can and then things go dead, that is a symptom of poor battery connections.
    As Chris W says, check the battery connections. Take the connectors off, check for corrosion and give them a good clean. Do them up good and tight. If this helps, make sure they are then covered in grease to prevent further corrosion.

14. Have you tried talking to it...? :Nailbiting:

• Funny Funny x 2
  15. Was it a private sale or from a shop?

16. Maybe a cable KITT might help??

17. From a shop - Motorcycle Centre in Orrell.

18. When I turn the key on I get all there buzzing and stuff but then when I press the starter button nothing - no clicking - nowt...!

19. Do you need to pull the clutch in to start it?
    Could the kill switch have been disturbed?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information