1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

High Idle 3.5 K !

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by bluey, Dec 11, 2016.

1. I'm out for a ride and the idle has just shot up to 3500 rpm! Any ideas why. Cables seem to be ok but can't be absolutely sure as I cant see them. They feel smooth in operation.

2. My 1000ds multi used to do this, was something to do with TPS from memory, in that when it got hot the unit would 'jam'. May have been a fast idle or some other part tho.

3. My 999s used to do something similar now and again, usually after spending time on the m3 in cold weather, would be rather embarrassing sat at lights in neutral when I'd come off with the bike doing about 4 thousand revs! (had to kill it half the time!)... think ET is right there, TPS or throttle cable cable sticking... mine was never fixed as it didn't always happen and mechanics could not work it out... I just called it my cruise control.... never happened in warm weather....

4. Sorted it. The cable had stuck, a bit of wiggling and it went away as fast as it started.

• Like Like x 2
  5. I'd strip the cable out and check for fraying/damage? Re lube if required? I'd definitely want to be sure everything is perfect,
    What's wrong that a " wiggle" can fix? This problem raises its head on a slow corner or traffic you could have a big problem!
    Better safe than sorry!

6. Id not ridden it properly for a couple of weeks so maybe just a bit a shit inside. It's with a new owner now, as of yesterday, he is signing up to the forum so he'll read this soon enough. :)

Maybe it just needs a quick lube up.

7. so you sticking with us or moving on for pastures more reliable?

8. [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. I'll stick around for now. :)

10. my multi 2004 1000 sometimes does this although mostly at 2.5k usually if i put it in neutral it will return to normal idle until i pull the clutch in again, only happens in winter for me like a dodgy choke ( dealer has told me the choke early multis is pretty dodgy)
    never been a long term problem

Do Not Sell My Personal Information