1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How Much Paint For Full Respray

Discussion in 'Detailing and cleaning' started by Cream_Revenge, Jul 12, 2016.

1. Hey

How much paint do I need for a full respray (front mudguard, tank, nose, both sides, seat unit) of a 999?

According to RS Paint i need a base colour + paint + lacquer and i expect an undercoat as I'm getting a bit keen on sanding.

TIA

2. I assume you are doing it Red? If so you do not have to go the clear over base route you can buy Rosso Red in an ICI or Lechler colour that is full gloss from the can. If you wish you can still lacquer it.

As far as base coat goes it is not necessary but you need to paint it in Beige primer if you want the correct colour or white primer if you want it a fraction lighter.

Primer colour does ultimately affect how the top coats turn out.

1 litre of paint should be sufficient if thinned correctly and also used with the correct amount of hardener.

To finish you will need to colour sand it and then finish with a decent mop and compound

3. I'm currently favouring yellow (don't tell DB!) if that makes a difference?

4. Several times I have seen OE plastic re sprayed yellow over red by Ducati on new bikes. As Red998 says, the top coat colour will be affected by the colour of the undercoat so the number of top coats will give you differing shades and depth. Sadly I have no experience of modern 2 pack or water based paints so have no idea how much you will need. If the advice is 1 litre buy 2 to be safe. I also have no idea what paint costs today either. Andy

5. Costs more than I was expecting!

6. I was looking at a recent thread about 1098R gold wheel paint - £160/litre ! Andy

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. ICI Rosso Red is about £33 to £35 Per Litre. If you go to RS paints then expect to pay double or more.

I have used their paints and many are water based and in my opinion are harder to work with.

Two litres is a huge amount of paint so if you want err on the generous side buy 1.5 litres. Paint is often not pro rata cost wise . So for ICI it's about £33 for one litre but £20 for half a litre and so on.

When you get to quarter litres it's at the point where you might as well get a half litre.

If you are thinking of Yellow then buy what you need as a batch as colour match is harder. You want white primer for that colour to bring out a good tone.

#8 Red998, Jul 14, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information