1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 DVT I Have The Ducati Panniers... But Need More.

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Moonfruit, Dec 19, 2015.

1. So I got the Ducati panniers with the silver panels when I bought the bike, and I've never liked them. And now, on my recent trip I managed to break one of the plastic restraints, and then got rear ended by another bike which scratched up the left side pannier (the other guy came off his bike, and totaled his bike and leg too).

So, its time to dig deep and buy some proper panniers for the bike. While I am surprised at just how sturdy the OEM ones are, considering how flimsy they feel, I need to big assed 35-45 liter aluminium type things.

On my last bike, I had Givi trekker outbacks, which I loved. Anybody got recommendations for the Mutley?

2. My recommendation would be Touratech
    I've had them on my 2011 MTS for 3 years and love them,great bit of kit,robust and secure.
    If your into camping,the boxes double up as seats as well.

3. I got a givi trekker top box, 58 L, then stuff strapped on top if need, and with 2 side panniers, and then a dry bag across the back seat that is a lot of gear, unless ofc you have a pillion

4. The original dvt panniers regardless how careful you are the 2 lugs are not up to scratch and will snap rather easily, i thought about a ventura rack and gave them a call but as of yet there's not one available.

5. Snapped a lug on my DVT pannier, it is apparently can be replaced under warranty. Just have to take pannier to dealer.......by car as it won't attach to bike!

6. Were the "original" dvt panniers redesigned or improved in any way ?

7. Sorry to hijack , but do Givi do a top box plate yet for the Dvt ?
    I have had a look online, but no joy

8. As of 2 months ago when I was trying to avoid buying Ducati TOP box, no, they do not. [emoji30]

9. Sent motech have one, its called ALU rack I think

10. Givi dont do one. They arent allowed to legally from a licensing point of view as they are the manufacturer of the Ducati branded boxes and plates.

SW Motech do though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Can't you buy the top box fittings separately from Ducati and then use whichever box you want?

12. The up side of having OEM panniers is single key operation. On my BMW F800GS I have asymmetric ARD Cases fitted to Touratech mounting frames, Roger makes whatever you request and they are tough, mine are five years old and covered 20,000 miles and still work and look great.

But I would stick with OEM if I was buying again.

13. That's the same question I was wondering.

14. True, but my DVT came with 3 lock barrels
    perhaps its possible to fit these to third part boxes

15. I couldn't find my 3 stock barrels so bought another 3 and modded them so that they fitted my ignition key. They were the OEM (givi) barrels though. 2 weeks later I found the original barrels. At least I had some fun with the 120 notes I spunked....

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. with reference to the givi plate.
    I have a ducati back plate on my DVT and the 52 litre Givi box fits a treat , it's exactly the same fitment ?

17. I had purchased two Krausser bags when I had a Versys 650. They are 47 liters each, very sturdy, very good quality (but plastic) and have been in my service for 6 years now. In order to use them on the Multi ('11 model) I purchased the SW-Motech Quick Lock Evo carriers, on which I attached the Givi2Krausser adapter plates I kept from the previous bike. I think it's an excellent combination, since I can attach/detach them very quickly on the bike and have enough room to keep things for two people for 15 day journeys (together with my 55 liter Givi topbox). The whole combination is accompanied by the top plate made by SW-Motech as well (the Alu-Rack somebody else has mentioned). The Krausser system for attaching the panniers is one of the most safe and sturdy I have seen. However, since it's a DVT you are talking about, you may have trouble getting carriers/racks for that specific bike. Development from other manufacturers is a bit slow.

#17 tzoykas, Jan 12, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2016
  18. 52L! That's big enough to carry a corpse! You're not running Courier Corpse funeral services, are you? :)

19. yeah something like that , its a box I use for big trips :)
    Just use a tank bag for little jaunts.
    It is a bit like a wing if you are at slightly quicker speeds :)

20. Problem with the oem case mounts is that if you get the rear one out and the front isn't free a slight twist will snap the lug tips off. They will not tolerate any misalignment going on or coming off.
    Those big GS style boxes are brutal, aside from the looks they introduce huge drag. Like driving a BMW X6 with a 12 foot enclosed trailer behind.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information