1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 Intermittent Fault - No Response To Throttle

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Wally, Oct 3, 2015.

1. Hi All,

My 2010 MTS has developed a strange and worrying fault. Before the bike has warmed up fully the throttle response is sometimes hesitant and then the power comes in in a rush. This is inconvenient but doesn't last long and I could live with it. Unfortunately there is another symptom that is more serious and potentially dangerous. Occasionally there is no response to the throttle at all, the bike just idles. This can last for several, trouser browning, seconds and then it clears. It usually happens at a busy roundabout or when traffic lights turn green, which is embarrassing, but it happened once while I was overtaking a queue of traffic. I was giving it the beans and when I changed up a gear ... idle. A very scary moment. Makes me scared to go out on it - but I still do.

I've read some thread that suggests the hesitant throttle may be down to the MAP sensor but would this explain the complete lack of response I sometimes get?

Any help greatly appreciated.

2. dont know how it would work on the multi, but quite often on cars you can just disconnect it and it will run considerably better. the engine managment will only act on information it receives but if it goes open circuit it will often put a default value in.

3. I had a problem a few months ago, sounds very simaler but not, when ever I opend the throttle to over take it would speed up then totally die, then jump back into life but on full throttle it would do it on and off unti I closed the throttel it used to lift the front wheel and almost throw me off the back.
    it turn out to be water in my stand switch. the bike ran loads better with the switch bypassed, new one fitted now and waterproofed but at the time it was not only worrying it was dangerous.

have you checked your stand switch isn't full of water? you never know could be something as simple as that. I boubt it's an exhaust valve problem but hey I have been known to be wrong, just ask the wife ;-)

• Like Like x 1
  4. You had a look at the throttle cable? Has it had the recall done? Recently there was a recal on throttle cable housing as it was deteriorating and snagging the throttle cable, could cause ur symptoms. Dunno which years it was affecting but mine was check wen it went In for work, 2014s model.

5. Thanks finm, this is my second option.

6. Hey jcmental, this is my first option. The bike has been out in some fowl weather this year. I did 240 miles in the pissing wet one day so I wouldn't be surprised if there were small lakes dotted about the electrics. So guess what I'm doing tomorrow. :upyeah:

7. Hi Ff66022 (that name really rolls of the tongue :)), The bike was checked out for this by Ducati Glasgow a few months and they said it was fine.

8. Oh, it doesn't have an exhaust valve. The previous owner whipped it out.

9. I doubt if it'd due to a MAP sensor (there are 2, one each throttle body) as the bike would run crap but the throttle opening function shouldn't be affected. As finm suggests you could unplug one or the other, or both, and see if it makes any difference.
    I think the problem may be more likely related to the twistgrip position sensors or the throttle position motors, all of which are located on the throttle bodies. Perhaps, simply a connector isn't fully seated?

10. I'd be having a good look at that side stand switch as suggested by jcmental, that can cause symptoms similar to what you describe if it's been covered in water and crap

• Nuke Post Nuke Post x 1
  11. My understanding is that the side stand switch will either allow the engine to run or it will cut the ignition. A poor connection at the switch may cause an intermittent on/off ignition situation but I can't see it preventing the throttle from operating.
    Also, the switch is a sealed waterproof unit but it's connector may not be.

12. That will depend how long the ignition system is interrupted for, natural reaction is to open the throttle more when it dies, then if the ignition is reconnected you will get that whooo.! .... shit moment and shoot forward very quickly!

13. Aye, I suppose so but when the bike is stationary with no momentum to keep it turning it's more likely to just cut the engine.

14. Pretty interesting for the pillion too!

15. Had the sidestand thing on my 848. So nearly rear ended the car in front. You do unknowingly crack the throttle a bit more when it dies. You should however, be able to tell the difference between it cutting out and it not reacting to the throttle input so I would believe the rider and say check the throttle body.

16. Since the last big service and the throttle recall, mine has become slow-reacting to the throttle, but only when cold - I can snap the throttle right open and closed without any response from the engine. It's fine when warmed up, so I've been wondering if it's an updated firmware thing....

17. Any diagnostic routine on a Ducati that assumes their "waterproof" connectors to actually be so is doomed to failure ;-)

18. Thanks for all the responses. Sorry I've been a bit slow getting back to you all. I didn't get a lot of time on the bike on Sunday so just had a look at the side stand switch.

I don't think it's the side stand switch for a number of reasons. Firstly, I couldn't see anything that made the switch look like it might have water in it but I cleaned up the area and gave it a good dowsing in GT85. This made no difference to the problem. Second, I can be sitting at idle and open the throttle and I get nothing. My understanding of the side stand safety switch is, as Derek points out, that it just cuts the engine and I don't see it surviving that at idle. Lastly, when the engine is completely warmed up, say after 20 minutes, the problem never happens. If it was water in the side stand switch I can't see why warming up the engine would make a difference.

The fact that it takes 20 minutes of running to sort itself out makes me think that whatever component has the problem is something close to the engine so it gets heated up by the engine but is maybe thermally insulated a bit so heats up more slowly than the engine itself. I also found a workshop manual on line at http://www.madcogz.com/MSTD1200s/wsm/en/home.html and it says:

"In the event of a fault in the ride-by-wire system (throttle valve actuator motor, throttle valve actuator motor relay and APS and TPS sensors), the command to actuate the throttle valves is immediately cancelled and the valves close automatically.
    The ECU implements no recovery measure in the event of a ride-by-wire system fault. The engine either continues running at idle speed or switches off."

The section on a faulty TPS says: "Possible correlated faults: The engine does not start, cuts out or remains running at idle speed and will not accelerate."

I'm guessing this is telling me where to look but without diagnostics I can't know for sure. Are parts easy to get? How expensive is a TPS? Anybody replaced a TPS that could give me some advice? Should I just pay the money and get Ducati Glasgow to do it?

19. What TPS do you need?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information