1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is This The Next Leap Forward?

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by El Toro, Jan 20, 2017.

1. In the article it talks about losing power, not creating it, due to restrictions within the system.

2. Moto GP should go back to two stroke!!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Indeed, reducing engine power through the drive train yet increasing thrust at the exhaust to counter the front wheel lifting is the general concept given :)

4. Should go the extra mile and make it thrust vectoring. The wheelies could be epic...

• Like Like x 1
  5. And not forgetting reverse thrust buckets for braking assistance...

6. I thought they already exited the exhausts at the rear or the bike?
    don't see many with the pipes at the front. Maybe you want to do some homework before finalizing the design on the kwakas you're building

• Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  7. :Bucktooth:

8. Butter :Facepalm:

That was supposed to say nutter, but auto corrected so left it for you.
    They don't exit in still air but mainly in high flow turbulent air :Bucktooth:

9. :Bucktooth:

10. You were onto something with the sail and mast, but had to spoil it didn't you by pretending to be stupid :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. why do you think they opt for a combo of under seat and side exit exhausts when with mass centralization, logic dictates that underbelly exhausts would be more beneficial for handling, if not for aerodynamics and air flow? It's not like no ones ever thought of this.
    lol... I just made that shit up... But I could be right!

12. You could be yes, I just made stuff up too - but I think there are lower pressure areas and if that was the case the pipes would be further in and probably central and probably not round too at the exit point :)

13. Exhaust position can have an effect on handling.Red Bull used it to that end until F1 bods said no.

14. Indeed, but getting full engine power down on the track through the rear wheel is not possible for large parts of the time. Power has to be reduced anyway, through rolling off the throttle or via the traction control system, much of the lap. So losing a bit of engine power some of the time because of a variable exhaust outlet restrictor is to lose almost nothing.

15. It would be interesting to know just how much thrust would be available from this source, and how many horse-power it would be equivalent to. Maybe it would be negligible as you suggest. But even if it was two or three HP it would surely be worth having in a MotoGP bike, especially in e.g. a wet race where tyre grip is limited.

#35 Pete1950, Jan 21, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2017
  16. They suggested about 3% more power on the merlin engined fighters (that's additional to none at all) with the bike it would be a marginal increase as there already is some. The merlin to gain max thrust had very short open pipes that were fish tailed.
    Even the 3% suggested was surprising to me though.

17. -------------------.
    You tying your laces is a suprise to me.

18. I don't have laces? :Smuggrin:

19. schlap!

• Drama Queen Drama Queen x 1
  20. Told you your idea was good dude :cool:, stick with it :upyeah:
    :Writing: mine have been ridiculed :D

Do Not Sell My Personal Information