1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 Pikes Peak Lithium Battery.

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Kgsdb, Feb 24, 2017.

1. hi
    I need a new battery for my 2014 pikes peak I'm thinking of getting a lithium battery has anyone had any experience with lithium battery's if so what's the best to fit a 2014 multi
    Thanks dave

2. Why, are you looking to save weight? There's a few threads and different schools of thought, at worst your bike will burn, at best it won't :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. For what is worth, lithium batteries do not like a constant drain, alarm/tracker sort of thing and they do not like cold weather. A battery charger specific for a lithium battery is also recommended although it is usually a voltage limitation rather than a current limitation that you need to consider. I have lithium batteries for both my track bikes but do not leave them fitted when not at a track. My Multistrada will when required, get a new lead acid battery unless technology moves on a lot. Andy

#3 Android853sp, Feb 24, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Not looking to save weight just the best battery

5. Ok thanks Andy for your advice
    Dave

6. I doubt very much if you'd get any advantage from a lithium battery on the road. What does make a big difference is an AGM battery - once the OEM battery in my Multi dies, that's what I'll be fitting

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. I have fitted a lithium battery to my 2013pp,main reason being all my other bikes have them fitted and wanted to keep things simple for charging reasons,no reason not to fit one to a multi it's just personal preference, never had a problem with my bikes when they are in use but I do think the shido battery is better quality than the mm one I have fitted to the multi, I have on 2 occasions had to quick charge (15 minutes )the mm battery after longish periods of not using the bike, but the shido on my 899 has never seen a charger and never let me down in two years,my 1299 has a tracker and lithium battery and that is on the charger every other week because as Andy has said lithium battery's do not like constant drain.mm stands for a brand I have no idea how to spell marelli magiesomthing.

8. Ive had a shido LiPo battery fitted for around 3 years now, bike is always kept outside in cold/snow and never had a problem, Ive also left this bike 2/3 weeks with an alarm and tracker going, always had enough juice to start up with ease

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Coincidentally just took delivery of an Antigravity lithium battery for my MV this afternoon. Primary reason is decent cranking amps, any letup or weakness in starting can, theoretically at least, be a contributing factor in sprag failure. They're something of a weak-point on MVs apparently.

The above maybe snake oil but at least it's a good bit lighter than the OEM lead acid one which, along with the significantly lighter than stock HP Corse Hydro Tre exhaust will make up for the other crap I'll be bolting to the bike over the next week or two.

I've been on a bit of a spending spree :Shamefullyembarrased:

10. Thanks for all your input guys
    I think I'll stick with the original battery as I have a tracker fitted to the bike
    Thanks dave

• Like Like x 1
  11. I'm getting real bored of offering advice on this
    .... so here is what a leading expert in motorcycle charging technology* has told us.

"
    BATTERY DATA SHEET

BATTERY TYPES TO USE WITH OUR REGULATOR/RECTIFIERS ONLY
    Lead Acid - Liquid electrolyte (acid + distilled water)
    Sealed Glass mat types –modern version Cyclon cell

NOT Lithium-ion (Li-ion) or any other Lithium chemistry
    NOT Nickel Cadmium (Ni- Cd), Nickel Metal Hydride (NiMH) or any other types now or in
    the future

WHY ONLY LEAD ACID?
    These have been used for over 100 years for automotive and motorcycle applications.
    Motorcycles are supplied with them from new and like the OEM regulator/rectifier was
    only designed to work with lead acid batteries.

Note
    Battery capacity Ah needs matching to the output of the charging system so do not
    use a car battery for any motorcycle or large motorcycle battery with a low output charging
    system.

WHY NOT LITHIUM-ION?
    Requires very careful control of charging current and voltage –constant current with steady
    increase of voltage. Motorcycle charging systems have a wide range of voltage and current
    input completely unsuitable for Li-ion type.

Lithium-ion batteries do not accept overcharge or either excessive current when charged or
    continued charging when fully charged. This can result in serious damage to the battery
    and consequential damage to the regulator/rectifier, worst case the battery can catch fire
    or even explode.

Not suitable for trickle charging.
    With many varying environmental conditions which motorcycles are used; it is worth noting
    that Li-ion batteries will not charge below 0°c.
    "

Basically if your bike was designed and sold by the manufacturer with a Lithium technology battery then that's the ONLY one to fit.
    If it was designed for Lead Acid.... then stick to that.

I've investigated (as an electronics guy) a Ducati Fire caused by an overheating regulator, the last change being the fitment of a Li-Po battery.

My work here is done. :bucktooth:
    Over to the ney sayers and other "a bloke down the pub said" type advisers.: unamused:

* see https://www.dropbox.com/s/f5ekhntoafnc693/Battery Types.pdf?dl=0
    from http://www.electrexworld.co.uk/acatalog/RR53.html

• Like Like x 3
Do Not Sell My Personal Information