1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Misted Headlights 998

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by canary man, Apr 28, 2013.

1. Hi,any suggestions regarding misted upheadlights on my 998.Seem's to pass the yearly mot ok,however cosmetically its not a good look.Are they sealed units?,or is there some means of clearing them which doesn't envolve a complete strip down of the front end?Any comments gratefully excepted.

2. Relatively quick and easy to take off nose fairing and then unscrew the headlight adjuster in the centre to remove the light unit. Once out remove the bulbs and you will see a couple of small screws holding the bulb locations to the rear of the reflector undo these and you can get a pice of lint free cloth inside the lamp unit with a bit of soapy water to clean it, use another pice of cloth to dry it and leave to air overnight in a warm place. Re assemble and all should be well. I did my 748 about 7 years ago and never had to touch it since, workwise it shouldn't take much mor tha an hour or so and quite easy to do.

3. Wot he said...............no big deal to remove the unit and clean the inside of glass and reflector.

4. what they said, but be very careful not to wipe chromed reflector face if you can help it as it can come off very easily. If you use warm or slightly higher temp water to finish as Hugh says then it will slip off chrome face cleanly without the need to touch it with a bit of luck. Sometimes the inner face of the glass needs a scrub to fully clean - a modified old toothbrush works a treat.

5. Yes - as above
    I used a stick with a sponge and cloth wrapped round the stick then taped on - job jobbed !

6. Hi,yep that sounds reasonably straight foward,the only point I wanted to check was in order to remove the nose fairing as described,am I right in thinking that the 2 sort of hex/alan headed screws on either side underneath the nose fairing are the things I need to undo in order to release the fairing?Might sound obvious but I just wanted to check.

7. you can also use wine decanter cleaning beads
    much more gentle and less risk of scratching the glass or stripping the chrome

8. Hate to be controversial here funkatronic but there's no way I would be using these and i'm confused as to why you would say this was a better method. 1/ How are st/st beads more gentle than toothbrush bristles? also these would never get in the gaps between the raised type approval writing etc to remove the 'white verdigris' that normally resides there.
    2/cleaning beads are more likely to come in contact with the chromed reflector and possibly cause damage.

9. your experience is greater than mine, (as is the extend of the mould and misting by the sounds of it ;-)
    the beads worked well to clear the misting and grime in the glass of mine but as with many forum tips, your mileage may vary
    but i totally accept your right, its probably best if the reflector should not come into contact with the beads

10. I bought and used Sterident tablets in my headlamp with warm water, worked a treat

Do Not Sell My Personal Information