1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Monster S4r

Discussion in 'Monster' started by Cafe Racer, Nov 8, 2016.

1. Right guys,

Im in the market for a new bike having come from a Ducati Monster 900ie,i have my mind set on a S4R as it can be modded into a Café Racer (I like Retro).. Without major expense..

Anything to watch out for ? And how much better are they than the Air cooled predecessor performance wise ?

Regards.

2. Not that big a leap, as I understand it - more power but more weight. I'd personally look towards a 1000DS bike - still that lovely air-cooled engine character, bags of torque, and way less to go wrong...

3. Shame !!! To be fair I went and test rode a BMW R NINE T yesterday and loved it, A lot of money tho in comparison and I do like a Ducati ! Struggling to find something to fill the gap !

4. Yep, 1000 Monster would be my choice of weapon I think, or SSIE and ditch most of the bodywork

5. Sounds like you need a 1200S then!! Can't recommend mine highly enough :)

As an in-between, I almost bought a new Monster 1100S a few years ago - Ohlins goodness and a wonderful engine - quite a few around for sensible money these days...

6. Ive just looked at both bikes mentioned by you guys and I don't like the styling of them, Not yet done any investigation into Café Racer kits yet tho, I need retro in my life ! and I must admit I do like a Monster as im a short ass and the 900IE fitted me well.

7. You may like them more if you ride them... :wink:

8. Im sure they would ride fine but im into the Café Racer look in a big way, so the styling is very important to me. That's why I was looking at the S4R as there are many kits available to get the look I want. I also like a bit of poke as well.

• Like Like x 1
  9. not sure about clearance and if adjustable lock stops, but a set of clipons and a seat change and you are pretty much there! Not quite cafe racer, but you get the gist
    thumb_IMG_0863_1024 2.jpg

10. i am sure that many many bikes will ride brilliantly,, but at end of the day ( unless you are track bound ) a few seconds will not really matter and what you will really want is something that looks GOOD !! esp as you are confessed " cafe " fan .

11. I'm not one for track days if i'm honest, I have just seen the new BMW R NINE T Racer that's due to be released in 2017 and i've got to say that is going to take some beating !

And your right, it's more about the aesthetics for me.

12. yes, i saw that bike being reviewed on some TV prog,, got good reviews,, they do come in a few different dresses, even one ( for you :grinning: ) in pseudo " cafe " style with retro fairing clip ons and single seat, tbh i prefer the monsters ;)

13. They are excellent bikes an ride well,I also love the Monsters but the newer ones are too modern looking for me and I don't like what Ducati have done the exhausts.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. So ive decided to go try a Scrambler out on Wednesday at Reading to get a feel for it obviously in light of the fact that Ducati are bringing out the Café racer styled bike early next year.

Fingers crossed on the weather !

15. Thanks mate, I've been keeping my eye on that and have sent some questions about it already as I cant see any turn signals on it,It's a lovely bike tho.

16. I have an S4RS motor that would make the basis of a great project. :thumbsup:

• Like Like x 1
  17. Cafe racer, like you I am not a fan of the newer styling so I bought an S4RS a couple of years back (it was actually that years bonus from work) and it is fantastic, great looks, great engine and a smile a mile every time. Highly recommended.

• Like Like x 1
  18. So went for the test ride today and loved the way the Scrambler rode,but no matter how much I enjoyed riding it, I felt like a girl on it,it just doesn't have the road presence I need ! Even more so when I took it back and parked it next to Monster,the difference is massive.

• Funny Funny x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information