1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MTS1200 exhaust reccomendation

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by CJS, Oct 15, 2012.

1. I often get asked my opinion on decat pipes so i thought i would write here.

After custom tuning around 39 of these bikes in i would say all exhaust configurations i have come to the following.

Full termi and race ecu or custom tune works well . The DP fuel tables per cylinder are not perfect but better than below. Of couse not having the o2 sensors switched off on the race ecu lets it down combined with silly emissions trims per gear per cylinder but this can be disabled with a flash.

Mivv de-cat. Total worst pipe there is . Apaprently its slip on and go but my dyno and my sensors show the cylinders fuel values to be thrown out the window whether your running the stock or termi ecu. This is because the shape of the mivv de-cat is totally different to the termi. The mivv de-cat pipe is noisy , too noisy. However once mapped powrwise it will be similar to the termi. The biggest mistake of mivv de-cat owners is to install the BR baffle . I have seen a couple of versions .Maybe one version was further modified by the owner but iam not sure. All mivv de-cats that use this small in pipe baffle make much less power than a stock exhaust. One was down 30hp. What a joke

The mivv decat and suone is ok after custom mapping

The mivv decat and ovel with no baffles at all makes good power but the design needs way more fuel to achive the same AFR and same power as the others and that means poor fuel consumption.

Exhaust shape and size really seems to effect fuel values

All MTS owners want power but dont want the noise.

Its true most MTS1200 make 150hp after custom fuel and ignition tuning but it is also true the stock exhaust can make 145-148 hp so its not far behing and its quiet.

Now my reccomendation based on new findings is for the leovinci decat pipe. Its got good shape and it has a small unrestictve silencer added to it. Its the quieter of the de-cat pipes and only 100 more than the mivv. The leo works with any can.

Just my 2 cents. It may help

#1 CJS, Oct 15, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2012
    • Like Like x 2
  2. i' m a bit confused.

this is what i got from you on a private message :

"The mivv decat throws out the stock mapping . It needs to be flashed . Mivv in my opinion is the poorest exhaust. Suono and ghilibi has too much back pressure with baffles in the can that makes tuning it difficult.

I would go mivv de cat , arrow or termi end can and reflash"

Is that the same MIVV decat you discribe above as 'total worst pipe there is"?
    I hope not as i just took delevery of the one i bought based on your recommendation....

please tell me something reassuring... i ve already got more then enough 'shouldn't have bought'-stuff lying around from the 999 project... i don't want to start piling up on Multisrada stuff...

tx

Koen

3. Firstly private messages are supposed to be private for a reason. They are private and now iam going to be carefull about ansering them .

The mivv is the worst in my opinion. The worst because it throws out the mapping or should i say the stock mapping is noware suited to the mivv .It makes my job correcting the fuel tables more difficult and thats why i dont like it. But if you read on after a remap or fuel table correction the mivv de-cat with good can is equal to any termi in terms of performance and it is cheaper :) and again is what people want.

Opinions also change . After experiencing the leo decat a few days ago i would say it is now the better option for people who cant stand the noise. Again performance is equal to the others

Is that reassuring enough ?

#3 CJS, Oct 15, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2012
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Fantastic and interesting and you certainly seem to know what you are on about. Also good timing as I have been looking to change pipes since I got mine.

One slight difference with me is that I do want the noise. I simply cant afford the Termi system or the best looking of the bunch, the QD system.
    My final choice before I read your informative post was a new Mivv decat and Ghibli...I like the look of it, I like the sound (baffle out) that I have heard on you tube.

I want looks, noise and the same or more power, in that order. I guess the question is, Will my choice of Mivv Ghibli harm my engine on the standard map with baffles out, or give me less power that I have with the standard system?

Any help gratefully received before I spend my hard earned. :upyeah:

5. Two things.
    Firstly,I'm with you 100% on the private message thing Chris.
    Secondly,you remapped mine with the mivv de-cat and Akrapovic slip-on and you said at
    the time it was a bar steward to do.
    However I have 149bhp at the back wheel, a bike that sounds awesome.
    The mechanic came back from a test ride recently after servicing it
    and said he was amazed how well it pulled in any gear.

6. Dawg, i dont know regarding harming your engine but the seat of my pants says you will get way more power with the ghibli and mivv decat running no baffles. mine hasnt been remapped i did ask the dealer he said it doesnt need it, and i would agree in terms of riding it as there are no flat spots.

it power wheelies off the throttle, its absolutely rampant all over the rev range. where abouts are you if up north welcome to check it out.

7. Thanks for that Rich, unfortunately I am down in the South west but thanks anyway.

8. Thanks for that Chris but I would value your opinion of the QD system - your thoughts?....

• Like Like x 1
  9. Thanx for informative post CJS. Just to sum up to make sure I've got it right before parting with money. In your experience the Leo Vince decat pipe represents the best compromise and needs no remapping, is this true if I used the existing tail pipes? I rather like the look of them and would like to keep them but I'm a bit concerned that the combination could be a bit loud.

10. Im in the same boat as Bob; Quat-D pilot. No Db killers in either.
    Interested in your thoughts/observations Chris.
    My seat of the pants dyno with DP AFilter fitted & FatDucs fitted is bloody Hell. God knows what it's cranking at the rear. Sport mode is nearly unrideable on a day to day basis. Dead or gaoled mode. Admittedly my PP is a good-un out of the box.
    Will get it dyno'ed after return from Phillip Island run mid-November.

11. Here's a vid. of your prefered option. It never sounds like the real thing on a vid. but does give an indication. Also, this bloke suffered some poor low down running after fitment and had to mess about with o2 sensors I believe. Maybe his bike was an earlier model which had a less than perfect fuel map perhaps?

Multistrada 1200 Exhaust with Leo Vince Mid-Pipe / Decat Pipe - YouTube

12. You know what you've done don't you?....if it makes you feel any better I do it all the time!

13. No?.....!

(I blame the machine).

14. My first time.........ooer, it must be a sign.

15. There's only one thing to do. Get down to CJS so that he can help you to........ "release the hounds".

16. Hi CJS Chris.

I quite fancy a louder exhaust with a full re-map but you're too far away. - If only you were nearer.........

17. How do you get these loud exhausts through a UK MOT or are most of these posts from farther afield? And is there not a big risk of a £60 fine from Mr Plod on a spot check which seem to be becoming more frequent? Also, is it really a good idea to annoy the general public with exhaust noise when we are trying to fight EU legislators that want to prevent us from even using aftermarket screens?

I don't believe these poorly silenced systems actually give more power - just that the rider thinks it does because of the noise!

As CJS Chris has pointed out the stock system is quiet and will give 145 to 148 BHP after he has set it up - mine was 146.6 (from stock 139.3) at 9130rpm whereas the best of the decatted systems might give 150. Who would notice that? Is it worth all the hassle and expense? All the extra power is at 7750 and above and I rarely use it but what was really worthwhile is the improved smoothness and tractability from about 2000rpm. This means I can potter around town in 3rd gear (previously 2nd) or slow right down on a tighter than expected uphill hairpin and power out of it without any snatch, hesitation or need to slip the clutch (and fall off!). My dyno chart shows torque at 3000rpm has improved from about 50 to 65 Ft/lb - now that really is noticeable.

Unless you really need the noise I would recommend leaving everything as stock and spending a small part of the savings on a CJS tune - worth every penny. And some of this has been recovered in 9000 enjoyable miles by improved economy. I get 46 to 48mpg which is about 3 more than I got before the tune. Chris will disable the exhaust valve and O2 sensors and set the ideal air/fuel ratio (individually for each cylinder) right across the range of operation. This gives a smooth, powerful and economical bike.

No offence intended. Just my two pence worth for anyone undecided. :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  18. My QD system is plenty loud enough with baffles in and EU stamped - so there! :upyeah: I also carry the homologation certificate under the back seat! All in Italian anyway so not sure plod would understand it anyway but you never know!

As for being more powerful not sure without a re-map but they certainly help the engine to breathe more easily without the huge baffling box and cat - by the way Boomer on here who has a QD system too got 159 bhp at the back wheel once CJS had fettled with it so does that answer your question?

#19 Bob_Cooper, Oct 17, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2012
  19. Mot time, stick the baffles back in and make sure it doesnt have 'not for road use' marked on it. Works for me.

that cat weighs shed load mine is off the bike must be pushing 10kgs, so it would be surprising if stripping that out for a bit of tube didnt have an effect on bhp.

the bespoke tune from cjs sounds a good mod, how much is it?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information