1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multistrada 1000 Starting Problems

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Dean Roberts, Dec 8, 2016.

1. Hello i am having problems starting my multi 1000 from cold the engine turns over when the starter is pressed & then stops with a whirring decompressing type of sound the first 2 trys then start on the third if i rev the thrittle a little.
    once the bike is started and walmed up it will start on the button perfectly every time untill the engine is cold again.
    I had my dealer have a look at it and he replaced a relay & said he'd cleaned up some rusty connectors. it solved the problem for 2 days but im now back to square 1
    I rode the bike yesterday and in 10 degree 0c weather it reached 100 0c in out of town riding
    also the dealer said the check engine light was comming on because of a faulty fuel level sensor but not to worry about it not sure if this has anything to do with problem?
    also if anyone can tell me how to retreave error codes from the bike i would be gratefull
    thanks

2. On my 1200enduro; I open the throttle a good bit. Pop the starter & release the throttle to which it starts, revs a bit then settles down. Whilst its been minus temperature here in uk I've sometimes had to turn it over five times till a stable tick over was achieved. Hope my tip works out'

3. Low cranking amps from your battery? sprag clutch could be worn and dis engaging?

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Hello i've read the warning code it says vertical cycinder coil short to ground, so seems like a bad earth to the ecu.
    can anyone tell me or point me to any info about ading an extra earth ( which cable to split where best to earth to etc) pis would be helpfull, any other advise on this would also be helpfull
    thanks
    spag clutch is a bit worn but the engine cranks just not getting a spark

5. more likely a dodgy coil or water ingress. i would recommend a set of starter cables from exige and keep the pressure washer in the shed

6. my 1100 done this intermittently. cant say if the 1000 is the same but it eventually took a new starter motor to sort. spin over fine but was drawing to much current, seemed to affect the coil drivers in the ecu.

7. Hi it had a new starter motor last year as i said when the bike has started once it will then start with no problems until cold again.
    The bike is kept in a garage and still has the problem after dry weather & i would of thought the dealer would of found a bad coil.
    i've unplugged the ecu connectors today put them back in and it started from cold on the button.
    will have to take it back to the stealership next week.
    A bit of a pain as its my only daily transport, back to being a bus W**ker lol

8. again not sure if its the same as mine but the experienced on here recommend renewing the two relays next to the battery every other year due to random starting and running issues

9. Hello just thought i would update my post
    after checking the ecu mounting points for corrosion and finding none
    i have run an wire from the ecu earth point to the front engine earth point on the left front of the engine (behind the oil lines) & the bike is starting wonderfully (so far) with more force and power than ever before the first touch of the starter & it roars into life.
    i would still like advice on how to fit a new earth properly if anyone can help.
    Thanks

10. speak to @Exige replace em all. i promise yah. :upyeah:

11. Hi guy,I bought Ducati multistrada 1000ds 2004 ,I was riding it and it when off.when I try to start it ,I heard the starter click but engine is not cranking.I opened starter changed the brushes still it just click no cranking.I tried to push start the back tyre just slide.I cleaned all the battery and ground cables but still no crank.did my engine lock it self up?or something else is wrong.Am waiting for plug spanner to remove spark plugs and try start it see if it will start with out compression.

12. Hi , I'd Check the battery holds a charge of 12.6v or more first then try jumping the starter motor with a cable from the battery positive to the stater motor & see if the engine tries to turn over, if it does then check the starter relay & make sure the engine earth point is clean.
    Did you try bump starting in second gear ? in first the wheel will lock up most of the time.
    When the bike did start ok did you sometimes get a slapping type noise when the starter was engaged ?
    Did you test thestarter motor was working before you refitted it ?
    Also my bike once cut out like this & pulling the Neutral switch cable from the back of the engine and earthing it to a clutch cover bolt allowed the engine to start. not sure why though.

#13 Dean Roberts, Apr 25, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2021
  13. Engine does not crank at all,I tried putting the positive cable still now movement.I checked the plugs one of the cyclinder broke both of the spark plug.and the particles some were melted on the piston.I have removed all the plugs still no cranking.tomorrow am planning to open the cylinder head see what’s damaged.

AA7361F3-5EBC-43CF-ADD4-3B43D9A55F25.jpeg

14. looks bad maybe dropped a valve or bent con rod , hope it's not to bad

15. Bad news ,piston and valve is damaged.any idea how much it cost?I live in Kenya and there is no Ducati dealer at all. image.jpg image.jpg

Do Not Sell My Personal Information