1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

899 My Bike Was Stolen Today

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by 749ducaticonvert, Oct 13, 2016.

1. Sounds like it's been stolen for a robbery as a getaway bike

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  2. Shit news pal. I hope you get sorted with insurance and move on. Makes you wonder about the basic security you expect from this marque.

3. Ducati thefts are on the rise it seems, hope you get some feedback - couple stolen from London over the last 2 weeks

4. Could they have bumped it using the other scooter they usually turn up on? Agree that the immobiliser should take care of that though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Just thinking aloud here.... could this be a fail safe? One thing you'd never want out riding is the immobilizer cutting the ignition. So does the bike bypass the immobilized above a certain speed so that that would never happen?.....

6. There's a Facebook group called stolen motorbikes UK or something similar.

Joining that group has made me aware of just how many bike thefts are happening daily, and bike jacking is on the rise too in city centres.

Be careful guys, and invest in a tracker or alarm.

Personally I'd not want my bike back after scum have had it for a few days joy riding it to within an inch of its life.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Fitting wall anchor to garage.

• Like Like x 1
  8. In the process of having new garage built so opted for one of those concrete in types that sit flush with the ground.

Drilled holes to slide rods through. No way this beast is coming out of the ground.

[​IMG]

9. Sorry to hear that Bud, it's a terrible feeling when to have it happen to you. Hope you get a new one soon.

10. So how the hell does that work? My understanding is that there is a chip inside the fob that shakes hands with the ECU. No handshake no start.
    Been to loads of euro trackdays and there's always one poor sod that forgets the ignition key. No ignition key = fucked mate, soz.
    And as for the bump start story from plod. Yeah, roger.

11. Any bike above £5000 should come with an alarm, immobiliser and tracker.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Yeah,abused and revved to the limit - not worth having back? The only thing you can hope for is they permanently maim themselves coming off it without injuring an innocent party

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. I have had confirmation from Ducati dealer, that their bikes can all be started with no key at all.
    So the immobiliser is going to be pointless.
    Mine was on cctv and bump started moments after breaking the steering lock.

I found this annoying now, as I expected a bike on this price and ducati's level of reputation should be not as easy to just take.
    I have called Ducati on twitter a number of times,but but they don't seem to care, as they are making a lot of money anyway.

This has put me off actually replacing mine stolen one with another Panigale!

Since bike thief is on the rise because the police can't do much, this will only get worse.
    After a bit of research this past week, there are actually a large number of motor thieving groups around, and most possing with the items they have stolen.

I would like Ducati to say something at least with regards on their security

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. So it isn't really an immobiliser at all? Very strange

15. Sounds like the kind of thing MCN would be interested in.

• Like Like x 3
  16. I thought most immobilisers were fuel pump based now. No fuel feed = no start at all. My KTM is starter motor based so you can wire the starter motor direct to the battery and it spins (but without engaging). I definitely think that MCN should be written to with regards to very expensive bikes having no security from factory. If that's the case they need to start fitting things like alarms or BikeTrac, from factory and throwing in a years subscription. It's not on to sell a £14k bike and the only thing stopping a thief is a factory fit steering lock and a factory fit immobiliser they openly admit to not doing jack!

• Like Like x 1
  17. Great idea. Let's tell the whole world you just need to bump one to steal it

18. The people that want your bike clearly know that anyway. What's needed is for manufacturers to not think it's acceptable. Car manufacturers have to go to increasing levels of security to combat thieves. We get the same immobiliser year after year and it now seems this has never actually worked.

19. I still struggle to believe this is the case. Chatted with a Ducati mechanic last week (older stuff but 1098 era) who couldn't see how you could as the halo around the key disables something, whether fuel, spark, ecu whatever.

I'm off to YouTube now.

20. I don't know how to inform them and obviously twitter direct to ducati hasn't worked as they don't care...
    I've called out Ducati on this a number of times as I've spoken to a number of people who have had similar experiences.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information