1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1199 New Battery, Not As Easy As Expected

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by Sam1199, Mar 19, 2017.

1. Fitted a new Motobatt battery to the Panigale. Should have been dead easy but was painful. The posts that came with the battery were fractionally too high. I could pull up the positive cable to the terminal but the negative is very short and was a swine.

IMG_6602.JPG IMG_6603.JPG IMG_6607.JPG

This was the awkward one. There just wasn't enough length on the neg cable. It wouldn't move up and it wouldn't move down. Got there in the end and saved a few grams. Not that I'll ever notice it, that's why I didn't go for the lithium one.
    IMG_6606.JPG

In the end I had to make the connections at the top first then screw the post into the battery.

Anybody else found this with a Motobatt battery?

2. I'm honestly not a fan of the Motorbat batteries, I've seen a few on service bikes where the connector adaptor has loosened up.

Would take a Yuasa every time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. That doesn't surprise me. As I was finally tightening it up I thought 'There may be trouble ahead.'

I wondered if a drop of locktight was a good idea but figured it might effect the current flow.

4. Loctite would be fine as long as it doesn't get on the mating surfaces of the post and terminal adaptor.

You may have been better bolting the cables directly to the posts?.

A quick wiggle every now and then to make sure they're still tight and you should be ok.

5. When I was looking around for a battery, I had a strong personal recommendation for the Motobatt but found that it's something of a Marmite product in that people either love them or hate them. The number of hates was worrying, so I decided against.
    The instant weight loss and high cca of lithium was a big attraction but again, too many reported problems for my liking.
    I went for the solid, dependable Yuasa and haven't regretted it one bit. Teamed up with a cable kit, the high cca of the Yuasa spins and starts the motor beautifully and not a single problem.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. My Lithium that I fitted to the 848 weighed in at 600 grams - just saying.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information