1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Chain And Sprocket Time?

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Cream_Revenge, Feb 11, 2017.

1. Hey

996. Does this front look worn? I have no idea on mileage it's done or age. (Its not so rusty in real life before anyone starts).

Chain needs adjusting too, do I just measure distance between X lengths as per Mr Haynes?

Cheers

[​IMG][​IMG]

• Nuke Post Nuke Post x 1
  2. I've never put a new chain/sprocket on. I've never kept them long enough.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Et.... That's rucking rockstar that is!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

4. The front sprocket teeth don't look excessively worn if that's what you mean. I'd look closer at the rear sprocket but it seems rare these days to use them until the teeth are visibly asymmetric (let alone "hooked"), and usually it is chain wear that determines replacement. Three things I'd take into account are:

- Are you able to tension the chain properly within the range of adjustment provided for the rear wheel? Sorry, but I don't know how that's done with the 996.

- Is there any significant "tight spot"? Last time I changed a chain there was some rear wheel adjustment left, but if you had the right tension in one place, it was like a bow-string once the wheel had been turned to a different position.

- Can you, at the rear sprocket, half way between the two points at which the chain joins and leaves the sprocket, pull a link away from the sprocket to any extent? If so, it could well be worn enough to deserve replacement.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. That's great, really pleased for you. Now, back to me.....

6. No. But at bout £15 to replace is it worth not doing? :)

7. Happy to change front but I thought chain and sprocket was best swapped together.

Back is only 1500 mls old as I had it changed when a cush drive decided to start grinding my eccentric hub down.

8. Just had mine done. Didn't look too bad before, but links appeared stretched.

Better safe than sorry? I knew someone who had the chain come off his Monster at 130, two up....

IMG_1676.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  9. New CnS looks lovely. Harder to judge stretch on SSSA than twin as no marking on hub.

Will have a look at @Recidivist ideas above.

10. CR your sprocket is hooked every second tooth, check the top edge of the tooth at 4 o'clock in picture 1 and every second tooth from there round. It needs changing otherwise it will prematurely wear the chain and rear sprocket. For £15 to £20 not changing it is a false economy. Also I would recommend trying to change the ratio slightly and strongly recommend a 15T as the 14T one that is partly why the wear is asymmetric - the chain is engaging the same way every cycle which means accelerated wear on every second tooth as the sprockets wear and eventually the load is only taken on every second tooth (which is what is happening now). If you get a new one compare the drive side of unworn and worn, look at the side wear pattern and you will see what I am on about.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. Hhuumm. Just checked and pull off rear sprocket not too bad and no real bad tight spot.

She is running 14/36 so if I go 15 up front I'll lose rideability and acceleration unless I change the back +2 or +3. In which case I may as well just buy a new CnS set and start afresh?

Can the front sprocket be spun round the other way and moved on a link? Or should I just by another 14T till next winter and then fit a new set? I only do 1500mls max a year on her.

12. My thoughts on the subject....

Just bought a rear sprocket for my z1ooo - marchesini wheels are on order and the rear sprocket fitment is different so like it or not ive gotta buy another one....the new rear I'm guessing will wear the chain a little more....the stock oem chain is pretty grimy, rusty but, not that worn....so, when the alloy rear sprocket wears ill be going to a 530 size (a bit more heavier duty) and thatll be the case for the hyper and the RSV4 (when they need changing)

#12 comfysofa, Feb 11, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2017
  13. If you aren't changing the chain I wouldn't do the front imho. It doesn't look that bad and if you are going to change in a cple thousand miles st worst then do it all then :)

If it worries you that much tho just change the front. Cheap and should be pretty easy and quick to do. And nearly everyone runs a 14t no problem:upyeah:

14. Gearing Options - Ducati Up North

I know it's been posted before and also contrary to what some people have.

I've gone 15/38 as recommended. We'll see what difference it makes.

15. I went +2 on the 999 and its good. Chain just ok on standard links. I think I'd rather +2 on 996 than 14t front when I do replace.

• Like Like x 1
  16. 15/43!!!!!!!!

17. HOW MUCH FOR A REAR SPROCKET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

18. If it's a 'keeper' invest in a quick change carrier and then you can swap rears for under £30 :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  19. Yeah, but I'd like to keep her fairly OEM apart from easy/quick change stuff and I'm not planning on putting many miles on her.

Don't see them that often used on eBay.

20. In which case keep the red you have, replace the 14t with another 14t, and enjoy it :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information