1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Member 1199 ,hi To All. Rear Shock Bolt Broke!?

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by Chops, Aug 6, 2016.

1. Very sorry to hear this Ryan

Here's my effort for you Damo, it would replace the existing triangulated plate, probably wouldn't have to be as chunky as I've modelled it. One piece with the end of the shock inside a pocket, don't have accurate dimensions as it's just taken from photos, the only obvious problem is standard the shock end currently gets in the way of the forward fixing point, so the rod end would have to move back, on the Ohlins it looks like the end is adjustable but I don't know by how much if not enough it could be combined with a shorter tie rod.

Front.JPG
    Pocket.JPG
    Section.JPG
    section rear.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  2. :upyeah:

Hats off to you Tobytyke, I'm far from an engineer, but the fact you've even got as far as modelling up a solution in a short space of time is frankly brilliant.

Hopefully someone more qualified than me can help with the solution to the shock end.

3. Fair play, that looks great! Definitely agree that the Sato one is horrid in Gold, weirdly the make other parts in black but not this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. It is mostly hidden behind one of those odd little panels, and at least matches the Ohlins shade of gold on the shock.
    IMG_2332.JPG

5. Bloody hell Jolley, that'd mean I'd have to upgrade either the 959 or 1299 base just to match..... We need a black or silver one just to keep neutral

6. Just get the S!

You could easily paint it because it won't really wear or get any abuse where it is.

7. why not just a second ducati bracket off ebay, with some spacers and longer bolts. a fair bit cheaper than the sato

8. There are several options already out there - here's an alternative to the Sato version from Desmo Veloce :-

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  9. Cheers Chris, just had a look at that and I think it's more for additional tweaks aimed at racing as opposed to simply reinforcement.

899 959 1199 1299 PANIGALE BILLET RACING SUSPENSION KIT – Desmo Veloce

Oh and it's $495 which in today's money makes it nearly a million pounds.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. Do you mean modify a standard bracket? Forgive me for sounding a bit stupid as I don't own the bike yet, but how would modifying the existing bracket work?

11. sorry, but you have lost me now - it's most certainly another option to consider, try phoning them up and telling them the last bit ^ . The "495" is for all 3 parts, it's expensive stuff this motorbiking..

#71 Chris, Oct 24, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2016
  12. Emailed them so we'll see if they'll sell the support bracket as a separate item.

I appreciate the price is for all 3 parts, but I don't really need two of the three and won't be buying the 1299 S model with Ohlins which it seems to allude towards, although that could be just for one of the parts.

And unless I'm misreading it, which admittedly could be likely, its seems to say 'Billet Shock mount (moves it back 28mm)'

Well i don't want to move anything back 28mm, do i?

I just want to strengthen up the existing mount design which is what the sato offers isn't it?

You have me confused now :)

Regardless of that, whichever way its sliced $495 is more than what the Sato costs, so we'll see what the bracket alone from the kits comes in at.

Its all a bit odd that this thread now seems to be about satisfying my own concern, rather than what i would presume should be the concern of many Panigale owners.

Personally, given that the mounting design has proven on multiple occasions to have failed due to its reliance on a single bolt, i would have thought that Ducati should be the ones improving the design

#72 damodici, Oct 24, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  13. "You have me confused now :)"

Et Tu mate.. ET TU. :thinkingface:

as I said already, you have lost me now as the fact that the Desmo Veloce aftermarket replacement upgrades the original front fixing from single shear to twin shear clearly demonstrates that this modification is not merely an "additional tweak" If I had one of these set-ups on a bike I would be fitting this or similar in a heartbeat, and it's most certainly another option to consider.

Tried contacting them yesterday without success but from the website -

It's for all Panigales and clearly states this.

The 28mm movement is a separate mod and doesn't affect the front damper mounting.

please promise me you won't be fitting this yourself ;)

#73 Chris, Oct 24, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2023
  14. Gotta be cheaper than dying.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Hell no, what do you take me for?

Jesus, i only have to look at a bolt the wrong way and it'll be stripped, bent, snapped and completely buggered before you can blink. Thats what I've gotten on a little better with the Beemer because the bolts aren't made of cheese, clearly Germans like to swing on spanners like me :)

Oh no no no, I have 'mechanically sympathetic' friends that do this kind of stuff for me...luckily :upyeah:

#75 damodici, Oct 24, 2016
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. Why should we have to pay to fix Ducati's problem when clearly something isn't fit for purpose? We are talking about people's lives Ducati need to step up!

• Like Like x 1
  17. Well yes, we are.

I'm pretty sure given the recent news of Ryans father that they'll be looking at this extremely carefully.

At the moment it's not conclusive as I understand it, but early indicators seem to suggest suspension failure so they'd be having to prepare for the worst.

The problem is I presume that they've got a lot of data to consider.

Is it the design itself?

Is it the bolts?

Are some over torqued?

Is it the heat effecting the bolts?

The list goes on and on....

The problem is rare, that's obvious by the amount reported compared to units sold.

However, if a fix comes from ducati I cant see it being that quick, not quick enough for me as I'd like to ride my panigale when I buy it

18. This is very serious but let's have some perspective please.

19. Re read post #35 the root cause is mentioned...

20. Has there been a recall on the said bolt?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information