1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 R New Monster 1200s Vs 1200r

Discussion in 'Monster' started by 1200r, Nov 25, 2016.

1. Hi Samieb
    I bought my 1200R without a test ride but on a couple of mates recommendations - not disappointed! In 30 years ish of riding I reckon it's one of the best road bikes I've ever ridden

Ped

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. I test rode one with absolutely no intention of buying one and after 30 minutes, I knew I had to order one and did. T'other half was delighted of course, and I still am. Every time I go for a ride or sneak into the garage for a peep, I just say to myself that " I've bought the right bike ".

• Like Like x 2
  3. I haven't ridden one, but after just sitting on one, I ( well my missus ) paid the deposit and can't wait to get mine in March. :upyeah:

• Like Like x 2
  4. Almost hit the button on a 2018 Monster S. I know the R has a bit more power and forged wheels, steering damper but is the suspension better on the R ? The Ducati website says both have 48mm adjustable Öhlins front forks and the rear is the same too...

Just curious....

5. I think the fork internals are different on the R and the forks are longer.

6. Absolutely the R suspension is better, different forks etc. Ridden back to back there’s a big improvement on the R but perhaps not as relaxed for every day riding

Ped

7. Hi guys,
    I had the opportunity to test ride the 2017 Monster 1200 S twice back to back with my 2016 1200R. Here's my hopefully unbiased opinion:

The handling didn't feel much different although perhaps slightly less nimble than the R. The power of the new S did feel somewhat lower than the R. I may be subliminally biased here or it may be because I have an SC Project on mine. Regardless, you may want to take this one with a grain of salt. In second gear, give it a twist and the front wheel still defies gravity even with the DWC "on" albeit at a low setting. More on that later.
    The rubber lined foot pegs are definitely more comfortable with less vibration although more slippery than the R's metal ones. Keep in mind that slippery is a relative term to the extreme grip and sole ruining ones on the R. That may be good or bad depending on your personal preference.
    Right heel space is as good as it gets relative to previous Monsters and may be marginally better than a stock R however, the SC Project slip-on is better than both stock set-up.
    The tank is noticeably slimmer and contains a liter less fuel which may be good or bad depending on your needs. Aesthetically, It's nicer but prefer the bigger tank with more fuel.
    The seat is softer and significantly more comfortable on the New S than the R. However, I have since purchased the DP comfort seat.
    The instrument console on the new S is not as nice as the R but does contain more information namely, a fuel gauge and perhaps other things which I did not see as I have not fiddled with all the settings except the DWC.
    About the DWC: on my second ride, I modified the Sport setting to increase the DWC from 3 to 8. I tried everything possible in second gear to raise the front wheel off the ground. DWC works, the most you can raise the front wheel is about an inch and for less than a second. An amber light turns-on for the same period of time. I was actually expecting to feel a cut in power but no, it was very transparent and unobtrusive. Nice feature for some that don't like looking at the sun.
    The quickshifter is impressive and is the biggest improvement IMHO although the down-shift feature is clunky where I don't feel the need to use it considering you still have to completely close the throttle for it to engage. It's just as fast if not faster and more reassuring using the clutch and maintaining the throttle. In closing, I've added an after-market Annitori quickshifter to my R nullifying the "S" advantage. All and all, I still prefer my R as the forward look of the new S looks bland and incomplete missing a steering damper, Marchesini forged wheels and the front windscreen. The R's paint job is much better also but again, that's just me.

#27 DarR, Feb 10, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2019
    • Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information