1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New To The Forum, Need Advice On Next Bike!

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by Tmac88, Apr 17, 2017.

1. Hey new to the forum and looking to get a ducati soon.

I'm 29 from Aberdeen, haven't been riding that long maybe 3-4 years on and off. I started with a Yamaha FZR400RR, Ducati Monster 1200 and just sold my MV Agusta F3 800 last year due to being made redundant.

So I'm looking at either a 749S or a 848. Would prefer the 848 but it is quite tall I'm only about 5'4" so dunno if it'll be a struggle.
    The 749 however seems to be a lot lower so it might be better starting on that and working up the 848. I don't fancy lowering the bike and I already have the Daytona boots that gives me about an inch.
    I've read a lot about the 848 really benefits from getting the suspension set to rider, would this lower it slightly if you got the right sag?

I know the best thing would be to try them but there isn't any close by for sale at the moment.

2. I know @El Toro always has to stand at the front when photo's are being taken and he has had a 848, perhaps he will shed some light on height. :smiley:
    Steve

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Welcome Tarmac :upyeah:
    Do you know Rod the obnoxious? He lives up your way and has a 749S and a white Harley. He's been quiet of late but he'd have given you a look see at his :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Yeah,but what about his bike?.........Hi by the way.

5. Not sure why @Chris tagged me on this...probably because I am a short arse who owns a 749 and a 1098.
    I do not have any probs with either the 749 or 1098 (which is the same geometry as an 848) with regards to seat height. I would say they are approximately the same height. Once riding, there iare certainly no issues at all.
    The 749 is definitely not "a lot lower".

• Like Like x 1
  6. Hello and welcome:upyeah:

7. That's surprising to hear, going by stats the 749 has a 790mm seat height and the 848 is 830mm. I believe the 1098 is 820mm at it's lowest setting.

Obviously the specs aren't what to go by but that's all I can go by till I get to plonk my short arse on one!

8. I will get my tape measure out and report back.

9. Hello and welcome into the mad house

@chizel how do you get on with height wise

Probably ET is the best one to answer height questions the little bundle of joy :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Get a red one.
    Best colour and fastest.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. You took the words right out of my mouth AC :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. not ridden an 848. My 749 I found quite tall but it wasn't set up right for me as my mates one is a bit lower and easier to dismount and maneuver.
    Something I was going to do was tap a lil bolt into the stand so I could hook it down first as I'm more comfortable getting off a bike like that. I'm 5'6 and the bike over all was a good fit.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Hurry up...

14. I'm 5'6" but I had to have my 848 lowered to make it comfortable when at a standstill. From memory they were able to lower it around 50mm.

No such luck with my 899 & 959 as the suspension doesn't accommodate such movement.

Anyway welcome Dave.

16. No issues at all from it being lowered. Though moving from an IL4 to a Ducati meant I had to recalibrate my brain and wrists to ride a much more focused machine (read more aggressive head down, arse up stance). Took about three weeks to do that, then all was good.

In fact all was excellent :)

17. I did read some where that the 749 can be lowered more by fitting a 748 ride height adjuster but I don't know how true that is.
    personally I think you should get an 848

18. Hello & welcome

19. Here's the numbers. Sorry about the delay.

Both measured on paddock stands with wheel centre 38cm from floor.

Measurement 1 taken from centreline of seat, across seat and vertical to floor
    Measurement 2 taken as vertical height of seat from floor

1098: 1 = 94cm. 2= 85cm
    749: 1 = 96cm. 2 = 87cm

Conclusion: 749 > 1098

It's an oxymoron. Discuss.

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information