1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

848 New Turn/brake Lights For 848/1x98

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by BKDUC, Sep 16, 2015.

1. Hi Guys,

My name is Brian and I am from Boston, MA USA. I love Ducati's and have always wanted some custom lights for the inside of my grills on the back of the tail of my 848 corse.

After a few years and nobody making such a light, i decided to make them myself!

My website (www.brakers.com) has a video of the functionality and i have attached some photos of me messing around with a test unit.

What do you guys think??? Trying to make these things a reality if people think they are cool.

Appreciate the feedback, cheers![​IMG]

PS - Love the forum, very slick and responsive interface unlike any site i have been on before!!!

20150810_152216.jpg

20150910_200403.jpg

20150910_202101.jpg

20150910_204405.jpg

harness.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  2. They look very interesting but more information is needed. What sort of price are they? Can they function as brake lights (red) and indicators (orange in Europe) at the same time. Are the LEDs angled to point to the rear or are they flush with the board/grill?
    They look just the sort of thing that I would be happy to fit and at a decent price would save me from making them and then blogging how to make them!

3. Thanks for the questions Bob!

Not sure of exact price yet but i would guess 100-150USD. I will be launching an indiegogo campaign soon once the design is locked down to raise funds for the molds and tooling needed to mass produce them. I will likely be offering them for 50% off (or less) on indiegogo so i can raise the funds, it will basically be a pre-order for half off retail price type deal.

Right now i am trying to get feedback from users so i can make the best lights possible with all the features people want.

They have 3 main modes which are shown on the youtube video on my site:
    -Brakes only (special modes: solid red or 3 burst flash then solid)
    -Indicators only (special modes: solid orange or sequential blink)
    -Brakes and Indicators

They are also compatible with aftermarket tail lights like TST industries integrated tail light, so you can run them in parallel with your existing lights for greater visibility.

Great detail also being paid attention to the angle which the LEDS throw out their light. These things are super bright already!!!!

Wire harness will come with it so ZERO splicing. :)

I have been working on these for months and really want to make this dream come alive!

4. I also forgot to mention one last feature, the middle button.

If you are in brake mode you can change the color to orange and if you are in indicator mode you can change the color to red.

The only drawback is if you change to red for indicator mode you cannot use sequential blink special mode, only solid flash.

With the brakes, you can still use the special mode "3 burst flash" if you change color to orange.

5. Well I wish you every success then. Sounds like you are intending to make a decent quality product.

6. Here in Europe the brake lights would need to be a solid red and the indicators a blinking orange/amber to be completely legal. Not sure that anything else would get through the MOT in the UK or the TUV in Germany, there is no annual test here in France so no problems at all.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Good thing you can change that with the press of a button :)

8. These look very smart indeed and I really like the flexibility built into the product, very thoughtfully made piece of quality kit.

Just loving the Ducati shaped controller board too

9. Overall I like it. Got a price in mind?

My only aesthetic query is that I don't like that you can see the LED plastic cover (think that's what it is) through the vents. That might just be the way it was photographed though. Can that be smoked plastic so it looks dark, or the lights fitted further back?

10. Estimated price range is in my previous post.

The example photo you are seeing is of a 3d printed "clear" cover, which is why its so obvious behind the grill. Here is another photo of the same part to give you a better idea of why i have "clear" in parens. Due to the angles of the face and some limitations of my 3d printer, i was not able to get a nice clear print so it comes out white-ish in photos. All that crap you see on the top is "bridge" material that gets broken off when the print is done.

The final product will be injection molded plastic like the tail light on the bike (smooth finish), likely smoked black to blend in even more behind the metal mesh. I will be sure to post up some pictures of different color options for the plastic to get everyones feedback once i meet with my injection mold guy again and get samples.

photo_1440436138887_resized.jpg

photo_1434133818415_resized.jpg

11. Ok that makes sense. Nice to see 3d printing being used. 3d is my line of work actually, thought not manufacturing. Would love a printer myself but waiting for it to become cheap and mature.

12. They are a blast to play with! Only thing that stinks is the prints take so long to finish! Just the bottom shell for the lights takes an hour to print if i have the quality at almost max.

Finishing up some testing on the boards right now to ensure compatibility across models.

If anyone has a 1098, 1198, or 2008/2009 848 and would be interested in helping me with some testing in exchange for a free set of lights let me know! (if you have access to an oscilloscope that is a huge plus)

Also looking for people to help get the word out over seas so if you are part of any Ducati clubs or know 848/1x98 riders register your email on Brakers - Ducati Brake Light Signal Light for 848, 1098, 1198 so i can keep track of who you refer. Whoever gets the most referrals for their region i will send a free set of lights (one of the first off the line).

Really appreciate the feedback guys, hope we can capture every little enhancement you guys have suggested to make some badass lights for our bikes!

13. Update!!!!

I will have new modules and wire harnesses in 2-3 weeks, and will be giving out a set of lights for testing to one lucky member in UK. :)

Requirements for entry to get the test unit:

- Must own an 848/1x98
    - Must be able and willing to remove exhaust and under-tail heat shield to get access to brake/turn indicator plugs to connect the lights.
    - Electrical background is a plus but not required (if you have access to an oscilloscope you're at the top of my list)
    - Agree to keep all testing results and product details confidential (will have to sign an NDA saying you wont disclose anything about the product)

Thanks!

14. So far i have Australia, France, USA covered.

Any other popular markets (germany, asia, etc) i'd be willing to send 1 test unit to a lucky person who speaks the native language and would be willing to help spread the word locally.

:)

15. Norway?
    I speak Norwegian;)

#15 RacingDuck, Sep 26, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2015
  16. Shoot me a PM, Norway is now taken! :)

17. Are these out for sale now @BKDUC?

18. Sadly not yet, i am shooting for XMAS at this point. Waiting on some test units as we speak and then once this last batch passes testing i should be ready to get things moving :) Thanks for checking in!!!

19. Thank's man.
    Still speaking Norwegian btw;)

• Like Like x 1
  20. I'd be interested in these Bob, think they look fantastic, well done. I have an 1198s which i use for commuting and would happily test it for you.

I have been looking recently at the Blaster X which is an integrated tail light for the 848/1*98, and while i type my phone has pinged to say the one i am watching on Ebay is about to end. Spooky!

I do prefer the fact that on yours the indicators are a separate entity from the brake light, which makes them wider apart across the back of the bike, which to me says more visible to a car driver, which has to be safer.

• Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information