1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oil Leak After Service (then Had To Pay For Them To Fix It)

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Louis8x, Mar 25, 2017.

1. Hi everyone.

I wanted to get people's opinion on my recent experience with getting my bike serviced.

I have a Hypermotard 796, 2012 model. I've had it for 18 months and just had it serviced at a Ducati workshop in London.

The service went well, and cost quite a bit! But was happy to pay it because the level of service and knowledge seemed quite good.

After I got the bike back, I noticed it was leaking oil from the engine. Each morning when I'd go to get on my bike, a small fresh puddle of oil would be under the engine, about the size of a £2 coin or slightly larger.

After a few weeks of this continuing, I contacted the guy who did the service and he said to definitely bring it back in so he can take a look. Took it back and he said to leave it with him for the day.

That evening I went back and he said there was definitely a leak coming from the engine. He opened the engine, cleaned it and re-sealed it. He then ran the engine for a while, and observed no leaks over the next few hours. He said its now fixed and apologised for the inconvenience.

Then.....

Handed me an invoice for £144, for 1.5 hours of labour to fix the oil leak.

I was pretty shocked that he was charging me for this, that I simply handed over my card, paid it, and left. Path of least resistance. I couldn't be bothered with confrontation.

What's everyone's thought on this. Should I have been charged for this or not?

#1 Louis8x, Mar 25, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  2. I would have wanted to see *where* the leak was coming from. If it was something that he touched I would want to find out whether he caused the leak or not. If he did, he would be fixing it for free. If it was a co-incidence then I would expect to pay.

The main thing was to find out *what* was leaking and why. Could it have just been a leaky drain plug, oil screen or filter?

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. You say he "opened the engine, cleaned and resealed it.."
    Do you know exactly what he "opened, cleaned and resealed"?
    As above, was "it" something that he may have removed to do the service?

4. As said above, if he had the cover/ part off as part of the service then it should have been a free repair secomd time round..

Maybe best to go back in, be polite and get the mechanic to show you exactly where it was leaking and ask him if he'd had that part off already.

Be polite but firm if you're not happy about the second bill.

5. Completely agree, however louis8x has paid without questioning the mechanic at the time of collecting bike.....possibly a difficult conversation after the horse has bolted so to speak.

But, one will always get more from a friend than a foe, never go in with all guns blazing ... state you case, and give them the chance to put things right.

Hope you have a happy outcome!

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. If there was no oil leak when the bike went in for the service then logic would suggest that it was the result of their work on the bike? My face would have given the game away when presented with a bill! That's a hell of a lot of money to resolve an issue that they most likely caused.
    At least send them an email outlining your disappointment in being charged. I would be very surprised if they didn't at least offer you a credit from the next service (in order to keep your custom). If they don't then time to vote with your feet and go elsewhere.

7. Did you have the valve clearances checked?, if so it's more than likely a cover gasket that's failed.

Can you post the original invoice up?.

8. Of course, there is also the point of a £144 bill for 1.5 hours labour! Nice work if you can get it!

9. Would have been £75 at our spot (or free if it was where we'd been already)..

10. £96 per hour ....bloody hell

11. Wow they can't charge that amount they arnt plumbers like me.

12. Thanks for the replies everyone. He wasn't clear as to what caused the leak. And not exactly sure what he "opened, cleaned and resealed".

I'll be the first to admit that I don't know much about the mechanics of bikes... so unfortunately I have to rely on being given accurate and honest information from the person I'm paying to do the work for me.

Annoyingly, tonight while riding my bike, the orange "VEHICLE/ENGINE DIAGNOSIS-EBOD LIGHT" has illuminated and my bike has turned itself off, and now won't run properly. Had to push it the rest of the way home. Annoying, after paying so much money for a service just three weeks ago.

I guess I'll never know if it's just coincidence or if it's been dodgy workmanship... sigh.

13. The welding of the crankcase would ring alarm bells with me right away. :Wideyed:

[​IMG]

14. Did you get a written list of jobs done?, possibly on 1st page of invoice?.

Our invoices give a detailed list of all work carried out and list of of parts used.

15. I think your problem is you left it for a "few weeks" before contacting them. Why not straight away ?? I mean, it's not like it was going to heal up. When my GSA came back from service and dripped oil I got straight back to the dealer (Pidcock's) and they sorted it quick smart, and they were mighty embarrassed, and they (of course) charged me nowt extra.

#15 Jonnybiscuit, Mar 27, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
  16. Yeah fair point mate, i think it was about 1.5 weeks until I messaged him. I guess stupidly I did think it might self resolve. As I said above I know fk all about mechanics.

17. Considering what they charge per hour you'd have thought they would give you a decent printed invoice.

If we get a bike in with a fault we can go back through all the old jobsheets on the computer to see exactly what it had done and when, sometimes thats invaluable and a real time saver.

18. Landrover main dealers charge £160/hr. 'Kinmental or what ??

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. On the invoice it says labour £3.25!...Im sure welding a crankcase may cause an issue.Is the leak anywhere near the stand?

20. Or look at it another way... ride home from service and park the bike up for a week and a half before noticing it next ride. It's just the same. I still think they should have repaired FOC if it was a part they'd touched.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do Not Sell My Personal Information