1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1299 Optimate 4 And Lithium Ion Batteries Help

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by ResB1299, Nov 13, 2016.

1. Sorry in advance for novice question. :confuse:

My Anniversario came with a change to the standard battery normally reserved for the standard 1299, in that it came with a Lithium-Ion Battery. The bike also came with the cheapest feeling and looking charger you could imagine and because of this it concerns me somewhat leaving the battery on charge for extended periods of time.

I have an Optimate4 Dual Program charger and used this on my previous 11/1299 but this was on a normal battery. The dual functionality of this charger means I can connect it through the CAN-BUS connector however, can someone confirm that "this doesn't mean I can charge the Lithium-Ion Battery through the CAN-BUS". I'm guessing not, and I should invest in the Optimate Lithium or similar.

Thanks in advance of any responses. :upyeah:

2. The limiting factor for the Shido lithium battery is the charging voltage which must not exceed 14.9v so theoretically any charger that in any mode charges at less than that should be okay. I use a CTek 0.8 on my lithium battery but not to maintain it, only charge it. For the winter I will be refitting the OE lead acid battery and using the Ducati maintainer charger which has been fine on the Multistrada and Diavel. Andy

• Like Like x 1
  3. So the bike came with it's own charger? Then surely it's designed to be the right piece of kit for the bike? Or am I missing something?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  4. That's what I use on my Panigale. I have an optimate for the Scrambler.

5. CTEK do a Lithium specific charger ...

LITHIUM XS

Which I use on both my bikes without any issues.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Yes it did come with the bike. And yes, one has to assume it is designed to be the right piece of kit for the bike. Albeit I don't think it was "designed" for the bike, rather it was sufficient for the bike more like. The charger itself looks okay to be fair, it's the adapter that comes with it which is terrible. The main charging unit comes with a shaver plug on the end of it and that plugs into a poorly made multi adapter, which then plugs into a 13amp socket . The shaver plug connects very loosely into the adapter and only makes a positive connection 25% of the time. When it finally makes a connection and lights the LED, if you breath near it, it looses connection. Basically, the adapter makes it look like it's a poor quality piece of kit.

I'm a fairly relaxed and easy going bloke and don't get wound up by much, but some things do annoy me and when you pay a lot of money for a bike you'd like to think the same amount of effort goes into sourcing the right components to be used with the bike as the bike components themselves. It is a premium brand by all accounts so I don't think I'm being unduly unfair. I guess there is a reason why none of the documentation told you what charger it was that came with the bike. Becasue of this I'm taking the view that something of better quality and doesn't look like its going to burn the house down would be in order. :)

• Like Like x 1
  7. Cheers Andy. To be honest, thats what I was expecting, but no it's a Skyrich - HBC-LF0201. Quick search on the internet shows as it being unavailable.

IMG_2317.JPG

libch01.jpg

8. I'll check it out thanks. :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  9. Mine fits really tightly. In fact at first I'd have said really tightly. But now I've got the hang of connecting it so it snaps in. And it connects all the time.

Either the bike connection is gash or the charger one is. Get it checked when it goes for its first service.

10. I got the same Skyrich charger with my R, however I didn't want to leave the seat cover off to access the connector so the dealer connected the CTEK lead connector directly to the battery.

11. Skyrich are fine,as you may know the battery is also Skyrich,the lithium battery only takes about a hour to charge,so just put in on for a hour every couple of weeks,assuming you have a tracker which will be the only battery drain,if you have no battery drain via alarm etc then the lithium battery will last for months.As said i charge mine for about a hour once a fortnight normally when i am cleaning the car.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Cut the end of the lead with the two-pin power outlet. Add a normal uk fused plug, job done.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Which Battery do people reccomend?

Anyone know of a direct fit for the panigale?

Fitted and AGM battery to my lotus and saved 6kg so interested in doing the same on the bike

CHEersp

14. I have Anti-Gravity LiOn batteries in two of my bikes and they work perfectly. One is the small case and the other the OEM case size. Both weigh the same too, with is about 4lbs...!

I charge them with the Opitmate LiFeP04 chargers, which are also excellent and condition them best to optimise their life span. Just don't let them discharge fully - you can save them, but it's hit or miss!!

• Like Like x 1
  15. I use a Shido Lithium Battery, and was told not to trickle charge it.
    Supposedly, they don't need the constant maintenance charge of a traditional battery, and should be recharged through a normal battery charger if they go flat

16. Was your shido battery a direct replacement or did you need to mess on with the existing cables and bracket etc? Does the battery cover for back ok ok etc?

Seems like an easy way to lose 2kg for not a lot of money

Thanks

17. It's even easier and less expensive to stop eating pies :)

18. Less expensive perhaps... :/

• Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information