1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1199 Ouch! Result Of Shock Collapse?

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by bradders, Mar 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Is it the bolt or the mounting that's failed? What exactly was part of the recall?

If it's the bolt I can't see how an aftermarket double shear bracket will stop it. It will strengthen the mount point but the bolt will remain the same strength.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. My mate was there and he said the shock bolts had snapped. Funny thing is same thing happened to his 1199. I think it's something to do when bolts have been taken out and put back in. Be it shock change etc.

• Nuke Post Nuke Post x 1
  3. It shouldn't make a difference as long as they haven't been overtightened and lost their elasticity.

I know Honda used stretchbolts on fireblade calipers which were one shot use but a shock bolt should be a high tensile regular bolt.

4. .

But who put the shock bolts back in. And did they use a torque rench or just a breaker bar.
    Unfortunately we live in a world of idiots and half arsed people so who knows.
    Those sato racing mounts look even more appealing now .

5. The book says to grease the bolt too

Depending on what grease you use has a huge difference on the actual applied torque.

This is something where people go wrong regularly

6. I had a look at mine and it's s 10.9 high tensile bolt.

That's a higher grade than a car seat belt anchor point and is a very high spec

The bolt shouldn't see anywhere near its yield as the suspension is taking most of the force anyway.

If I can find stories of the mounting point failing then I'm buying the strengthening kit but to me it seems some unlucky people simply had incorrect bolts fitted and doubt there is an issue with the mounting.

7. I've seen it happen they were correct bolts fitted by ducati. M and s Newcastle checked it over and he got his money back on the bike. Caused 3k worth of damage.
    I just saw loads of smoke then when stopped realised the exhaust was on the tyre and on road.

8. I went with the Sato bracket myself. Even if the bolt does now fail, the shock would only collapse as far as the spring retaining collar hitting the bracket, rather than a complete collapse. Adds peace of mind for me rather than wait for Ducati to decide if there is an issue or not....
    IMG_4221.JPG

9. See I've looked at these and I think the bolt in question is near the S in sato racing. If that snaps the same out come would happen. Although you do get different bolts with the mount.

10. Can we have some perspective please people. These things happen in all kinds of products. If it was a failure on every bike then I'm sure something would be done.

However from what I am seeing and reading it looks like the failure is extremely rare. And not only that but "someone" could have messed with the bolts.

And a mates' aunt's friends, sisters' cousin being there and witnessing it all isn't perhaps the most reliable of sources.

Like I said can we have some perspective.

I have passed this thread to Ducati UK so they are aware of it.

Thread closed.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Do Not Sell My Personal Information