1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1299 Panigale To Be Replaced?

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by duke63, Aug 14, 2016.

1. Yep, of course.

It'll be light action cable operated clutch levers soon...

2. It's a still from the video that I took outside the factory.
    We were walking from the factory to the shop and heard a bike coming.
    We looked and it was blatantly a test bike (data logger, black fairings, no badges) with a test rider (non-Ducati leathers) so I grabbed my phone and managed to get a video before he came out of the factory.
    The odd angle is because he's just turned right out onto that road road.
    The full video is here:
    Ducati Sporting Club - Timeline | Facebook

Speaking to a (non-UK) dealer, he was pointing out some of the differences to the current model (around the forks, exhaust, etc) so it's definitely a new/revision bike.

• Like Like x 2
  3. The Anniversario model had already been announced at this point and is now in dealerships, so it's a bit late in the day to be testing software?

4. I think the supersport out next year will be a good seller.
    Will they build a larger capacity than the 1299. Doubt it. Just starts to get silly.
    Dropping the high capacity twin might be the route. Big risk though, most buy the Ducati for the engine.

5. I believe you're right on both counts.

In a meeting that I was present at, Domenicali was asked about the future of Ducati engines and dropping the L-twin for a V4.
    While he was quite adamant that there is a V4 in the future, without explicitly stating it, he also said that the L-twin was Ducati's strength.

I believe that there may well be a V4 Superbike in the range from 2018, but "in addition to" rather than "instead of".

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. This is an amusing speculation, but since all versions of Multistrada, Diavel, Monster, and Scrambler (including the latest ones) have trellis frames, belts, and V-twin engines it seems fanciful to say these features are "Gone".

7. As long as the V4 is not stupid money I'm sure it will sell well.As long as the Bike has the Italian twang and does not go Japanese.

8. V4 = £30k

You heard it here first :p

9. Have you pulled a 959 clutch? It is so light it almost feels broken!

10. Jesus mate I'm not sure I'd go THAT far, it's light, but go pull a 675 clutch lever it's half as heavy again....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. People have been talking about a v4 replacement since before the Panigale, so I wouldn't hold my breath.

Aside from that, I don't see what the problem is. If Ducati didn't shake things up they would have gone under. Personally, I like the new range and I much prefer my 959 over my 848, in looks and performance. They are moving in the right direction whilst keeping up with the legislation that allows them to keep selling bikes, and we should be thankful of that.

• Like Like x 1
  12. I couldn't.... I'd feel dirty! ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. I'm very interested in seeing a V4 but I really hope that if they do make it that it isn't as heavy as the RSV4. I've still only rode the Tuono which was admittedly very good but I'm quite put off by the weight of the RSV4. I've tried just about everything on the market at the moment and nothing feels as race bike as the lightweight Panigale.

14. Royal, are you quicker on track on a pani?

15. If it's a V4 isn't it a Desmosedici replacement? Just saying.

16. Yes, definitely. I haven't done much lap time comparison but I reckon I'm a second or two quicker at most tracks. Its partly because I'm so used to riding the Panigale that I'm very dialled into it so can use its advantages but there really is nothing that is as capable through quick direction changes. I ride with a couple of fast guys on Triumph 675 Daytonas which are about as good as it gets for handling and the Panigale is quicker through chicanes.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. I think the V4 will be along simply to win WSBK and the rest of the range will remain twins/belts/dry clutches mainly. They are limited to the 1199cc engine in a twin I think and its already a few years in now. It would make sense for them to be working on a V4 yet I don't think the twin range will be compromised as it has a huge following.
    Ducati have a huge interest in WSBK.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Wheeling them around the garage and on and off the trailer the RSV4 in Noticeably heavier. I do like the V4 sound and the engine feels smoother though nothing In my opinion) beats the look and ride of the Pani.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Nothing will be happening to the Pani, if anything does happen, before the end of 2017. You heard it here first :p

• Like Like x 1
  20. This is the sort of layout favoured by VW-Audi for some of their 8, 12 and 16 cylinder engines. It would make a cute W4 for Ducati.

W4 engine.jpg

Do Not Sell My Personal Information