1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peculiar tyre wear.

Discussion in 'Tyres' started by timberwolf, Sep 9, 2013.

1. Just like mine, same area. maybe you subconsciously push it harder in right handers than left.

OGR

2. A friend of mine had a 1098s and tyre wore bad on one side on front, turned out the suspension settings were different on each fork.

3. Hmmm..... had my suspension set up not long ago. To be honest, I think it would have to be some serious "pushing into right handers" to wear as quickly as it has? I am still puzzled.......

My mate purchased his 1098 at the same time, similar riding style/tyre/mileage yet no wear showing on his. He examined it last night and was also puzzled.

4. This isn't too unusual on road bikes. The side/sides of the front will usually wear before the centre. Think about what it does, whilst the bike is upright the front is just 'rolling' along the road, unlike the back which is working transmitting power. The front only works when the bike turns and has to resist the bikes urge to carry on in a a straight line. If you continued using this tyre it would next show signs of wear on the other side, not in the centre.

As stated above, roundabouts and road camber mean the wear shows on the right side in the UK, it's your most common lean angle.

This http://www.rattlebars.com/tirewear/index.html

5. It makes sense what people are saying, its just I have never had this on any bike I have owned. I usually get a squared off front tyre. I do notice much more torque from the ducati when exiting corners and maybe that's whats causing it as I do tend to lift the front wheel. Maybe exiting right handers (may subconsciously be favoured by myself) lifting the front wheel which then loses momentum and then hits back down on the tarmac and skims rubber off as its moving slower? Hey hang on, if that's correct maybe I am a bike god after all!
    Should I be looking for a Moto gp ride next year? :biggrin:

6. This is my Multi front Scorpion. Shows very similar wear characteristics.

Plenty of tread left in the centre and on the left but not on the right.

9718947044_e133c5c0c0_o.jpg

9718947044_e133c5c0c0_o.jpg

7. I don't think that would make any difference TBH. The fork legs are clamped together so can only move as one regardless of the settings of each leg.

8. They're very soft tyres that ain't gonna last long on any bike on the road. Perhaps your mate rides on a more neutral throttle round roundabouts where you either brake more heavily into them or accelerate harder out of them. There doesn't appear to be anything unusual to look at within the wear, other than the fact it's biased to one side, so there's no suggestion of a mechanical issue. To be honest mate, I reckon you picked the wrong tyre for your use. Dunlop Roadsmarts or Michelin Pilot Road 3's would be much harder wearing but still plenty sticky enough, and will give more confidence on slimy roads

9. Thanks Fig, tyres were on the bike when I purchased it, not had pirreli's before. I only ride in the dry so always go for a fast road/track biased tyre. I make sure they are warmed up before I push them. I had some bridgestones on my gsxr 1000 once and compared to the metzeler racetecs I usually have, they were crap. Not too sure about fitting pilot road 3's etc as I don't feel they would suit my riding. Are they really as sticky enough? My rear tyre is still spot on so I will have to be wary of which tyre to replace the front with to suit the rear supercorsa sp2. I used to get 3k miles from a soft front racetec on the gsxr 1000. Seems the torque on the ducati can see them off sooner?

10. A wise old man one told me "Tyres should match the conditions you ride in, not your ego's perception of your ability. Be a big boy, suck it up and leave the word 'race' on the shelf".

11. I guarantee you will find them confidence inspiring, they're the best road tyres out there. Times have changed, track tyres are now usable on the road nowadays because they warm up faster, but the PR3s will give you all the grip you will ever need for the road, no matter how fast you ride, they'll feel better, and they'll be a revelation on wet roads. All people do by fitting track tyres is throw money away. They're great on track of course - that's what they're for - but totally wasted on the road.

12. Really?

13. That's my experience anyway of my 748.

14. Found that with the 848 too, bars through on the front sides but back was still okish. Always worked on the 2 fronts to 1 rear but been changing both at the same time with Ducatis. No idea what the 1199 will be like....

15. The front does wear strangely if you're a heavyweight and/or late on the brakes - you end up with a triangular profile and no tread either side of the centre line.

16. Wow, I always go through 2 rears for each front.

17. +1.

Maybe Duke63 goes everywhere backwards :wink:

18. Same here

Do Not Sell My Personal Information