1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peculiar tyre wear.

Discussion in 'Tyres' started by timberwolf, Sep 9, 2013.

1. I've no idea why my 748 seems to go through fronts quicker than rears but from talking to others, its quite common.

Interestingly my Multi has now done the same (though its due more to the wear pattern) but i've never had it on any other make of bike i have owned. Maybe i just enjoy my Ducatis more.:biggrin:

2. I can assure you it's not common. In 30+ years of riding I've never come across this ever.

3. Same hear, any Ducati's I have owned (998s,999s track bike, 848,1199) have never worn their front tyre before the back ones. AC

4. Bugger, I meant 2 rears to 1 front.

5. Well its what i find and talking to a mate who has a 748R, his does the same.

6. All this tyre stuff is so completely random.

The wear is going to depend on what your suspension settings are, how heavy you are, what pressures you are running the tyres at, and the riding style. If you generally don't accelerate much out of corners, but are a demon of the late braking, getting your front tyre to shriek on a regular basis (only ever saw one guy do that - and he was French Supersport champion), then the front is going to have a tougher time than the rear. If you give it plenty on corner exit but you don't brake too late and hard, then it's the rear that's going to suffer more. If you do a lot of motorways or straight roads ditto.

I'm about 1 1/2 rears to a front, but it varies. Also depends on tread pattern. The old TX Michelins of the 90s were the tyres to have, but the fronts always wore like a set of stairs, meaning that the handling would be horrible half way through the life of the tyre. No such problem with 2 CTs

7. You're right...som many variables.

Bin the current set and try a new set, only way to know.

8. Same for me, on all types of bikes it was usually 1.5-2 rears to 1 front. However when I got the 748 it used to wear out the fronts slightly faster than the rear. Turned out I had the front preload too high and the rear ride height set too low. Since having it set up for my weight with a correct ride height and a much softer preload on the front the wear is now around 1.25 rears to 1 front. These days they get replaced as a pair with the front with maybe 1mm to go.

On the sport tyre question I used to go for fast road/track tyres and accepted replacing them at 2-4k intervals until a recommendation from a tyre dealer (who supports a couple of racing teams) for Pilots or Metzeller Z6s. Since then I think it unlikely that I will ever go back to a "sport" orientated tyre for road use as they never stay hot enough and are simply nowhere near as good for road use, in the wet they are crap - like being on a knife edge. An added bonus is you get at least double the mileage out of them, the 748 has a pair of still legal (just) z8 roadtecs on right now with over 7k miles on them, simply the best tyre I have ever used on any motorcycle for over thirty years. Rated best tyre of the year by MCN in 2012 Metzeler Roadtec Z8 Interact wins MCN Tyre of the Year award! | Ridexperience UK and I can see why

#48 Denzil the Ducati, Sep 13, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2013
  9. So it's just 748's with shit set ups then?

So not common at all in the grand scheme of things. :rolleyes:

10. Trust me Tel, there are per-lenty of 748s with shit set-up...

11. Truth is you are really all a bunch of slow feckers isn't it?

C'mon admit it.:biggrin:

12. I wear out the seat before the tyres:frown:

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. By "grand scheme of things" I'm including the whole of the biking world.

So it's not common at all except for 748's with shit set ups. :wink:

14. My 848 is going through fronts as quick as rears too. Just got back from a week in Spain and the front is toast.
    I do trail brake quite a bit in the Pyrenees on downhill mountain roads so i can imagine the front gets a hard time.

My oem supercorsa's didn't do it but the last 2 sets of tyres have (Diablo and Diablo Rosso) with a bias to right side front wear.

15. I have to replace the front tyre now, bites me in the arse again. Been ringing around the Manchester area for a diablo supercorsa sp 120/70/zr17 m/c 58w (exact description on the tyre). Nobody has one. I am told its possibly a discontinued tyre and have been offered a V2 version for £140. Bit miffed at £140 for a front tyre and also not sure what a V2 is, anyone enlighten me please?

16. is it an original tyre from new.

personally if you cant get a match id be inclined to buy a pair

17. Supercorsa SP's wear both the front and rear at the same time on my 1198. No longer do I get 2 rears to one front on a tyre. Great tyre but its costly.

18. Waste of money on the road, I reckon.

19. Yeah, youre probably right Figs. But they're great for when we are in the Alps and in France which we treat like a track day. :) However I will likely go Rosso Corsa this time.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information