1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 Picked my 1200S Touring up today.

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Englishman, Apr 12, 2014.

1. Got in early to beat the Demo Day rush and picked up my Touring today. That 6K running in limit only really becomes a slight issue when going for nippy overtakes or wanting to just get up to speed quickly. Motorway cruising at 4 to 5K is fine, though I didn't leave it at any particular revs for very long in it's first few hours of life.
    I've done so many gear changes today - and what's with the false neutrals?! Got one going from 6th to 5th on exiting the M56, and about 6 other times in thinking I was in first and about to move off from lights. Do I have to be more direct with the gear shift or does it take a finesse that I haven't developed yet?

Anyway, the bike is here and I love it. I've got the first service booked in and should easily get the 600 miles in by that time as I've done nearly 200 today in bimbling around North Wales. This is one comfy bike and I love all the features and gizmos on it. Who'd have thought that keyless start would be so handy? No more fishing around in your pockets and then having to zip everything back up before you move off. I can't wait to let her off the lead and really see what she can do, plus I was very conscious of the new tyres today since it rained in Wales as per usual.

Too lazy, didn't read - Picked up my Multi and it's great.

2. I don't get this "false neutral" thing. Just boot it in. Works every time :)

Ps Congrats on the new bike. :upyeah:

3. Enjoy and as above, kick it harder!

4. When I got mine I too experienced some false neutrals going down the box. However now I have some miles on her and I guess have learnt to be a little more positive false neutrals are a thing of the past. Enjoy your new bike.

5. Enjoy! Tiz a fantastic bike :)

6. I also had false neutrals too, as others say, make it a firm gear change and no problem. I never found the revs being restricted to 6k an issue for overtaking tbh. and does not hurt in the lower gears to creep over 6k for a few secs. try not to labour engine or prolonged revs at same rev.

7. I was getting false neutrals between 5th n 6th and thought it was just me, but it turned out the gear leaver was set a bit high and the leaver was hitting the input shaft, a quick adjustment and all was well.
    My biggest problem is the hazard lights coming on if I switch from indicating right to left, say exiting a roundabout or nipping past a car on the motorway. It's driving me nuts.

8. These "false neutrals" that disappear over mileage (mine did), must mean the selector dogs need to bed-in, before they engage in the holes nicely? A firm shift will ensure that they slam into place and in time the dogs and holes will wear together such that they slot home easily. This and the piston ring seating will be why the 600 mile running in oil change (swarf removal!) is so important?

9. I had same issue in first 200 miles but nearly at 600 and issues seems to have dissapeared. Excellent bike but put a patch behind ur left fork where the brake cable runs past as it will wear if it hasn't already.

10. I didn't have a single false neutral today after taking the advice to just boot it into gear. Decisiveness seems to be key but it's good to hear that it's also a bedding in thing. Thanks for the replies.
    Damn, I really like this bike.

11. Ducati use quite thick oil for running in which will affect the gearchange.

12. You are in for a treat when you 'nail it' for the first time :)

13. In for a treat indeed when you nail it in Sport! Jeeesssuussssss :)

14. You're going to have a fantastic time on your Multi. I can't believe I've had mine for almost a year now (1st May) and it's got 7200 miles on it (4000+ on the continent). I just can't leave it alone!!

As a treat my Multi will spend its first birthday in Spain at the Jerez MotoGP. Can't wait!

I had false neutrals and found it very difficult to get the proper neutral for the first 400 miles or so.

There have been a few small niggles: number plate bulb blew and lens cracked. Replaced under warranty. When indicating left for about the 10th time (in between shut downs) the hazards come on. Indicator switch replaced under warranty but the fault remains. Brake line rubs against left fork. Applied clear parcel tape to stop wear. Slight leak from front brake reservoir top. Seal replaced under warranty.

All nothing to worry about and it didn't stop my enjoyment of the best bike on the street!!

Have fun!

Kevin

15. Thanks for the encouraging replies - I can't wait to get her all run in and have access to the full rev range. Until I at least get the first service out of the way, I'm steering clear of Sports mode. I think the throttle response will be just too quick to stop it going over 6K in a blink. It was on the demo bike I rode, and Sports mode near ripped my arms off on that thing.
    I am loving this bike - the only slight problem is how tight the gate into the works bike compound is when I've got the panniers on. About an inch either side and that's only after lining up to perfection. It would be a damn shame to scratch something so I look like a right pansy making sure I'm through it safely.

16. You have to remember with the panniers not to turn in too quick, need to go through the gap all the way before turning then no probs :)

Just got back off a 3 day ride over to Belgium, French, Luxemburg borders, over 800 Miles, great bendy roads very very very little traffic :) did I say no traffic :)

17. Ha. No traffic! Must have been bliss. Good Friday, the sun is out and the wind is zero, great time to get a hundred miles in to take me to the first service. Every single road had standing queues of cars and I could only do bits and bobs of overtaking due to oncoming traffic. Some typical Range Rover driver overtook a line of cars and only just nipped out of my lane back into his in time. I gave him the wanker sign, he gave me the finger. Also a trophy blonde passenger with what looked like her Dad in his Porsche convertible gave the bike (and me, I choose to believe) a very appreciative looking over.

18. Enjoy, had mine nearly 18 months now and still in love with it :D

19. If you had enough time to exchange hand signals then he was back on his side with plenty of time. its not just ourselves allowed to have some fun. relax

Do Not Sell My Personal Information