1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poll : Riding Style

Discussion in 'Hypermotard' started by Jody, Jul 7, 2016.

?
  1. Bolt upright no matters what lean angle

8.3%
  2. Supermoto style leaning the bike

27.8%
  3. Knee out hanging off

50.0%
  4. Other

22.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. I could never make my mind up regarding sag as lots of opinion is 30% of the travel others a 3rd of the travel (which is more or less 30%) and others 30-35mm

They all give slightly different values though

2. Like I say in the right area I think with you on it, it just sits a bit high with you off. Potentially.

3. 30-35mm is about 30% of most bikes I think. That link is used by most I know as a good starter giude that I have raced with

4. Cheers for the settings @comfysofa

Worked a treat for me

Like night and day compared to before...
    Better over large bumps, Smoother on the road instead of a constant slight bouncing feeling, less dive on the brakes and corner tipping in, more feeling all the way through the bend instead of losing feeling when opening the throttle

Its weird how the human brain interprets slightly different feelings...Before it felt like my forks were 10ft long, made of spaghetti with something that resembled a wheel in a bowl of custard at the end....now my forks feel 2ft long, rock solid and I can feel the road through the tyre

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Brilliant! I did something right! Well, kind of!

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. Ha ha ha

I owe you one :D

7. TBH I'm not good-enough-a-rider to know whats good and whats bad (if it feels bad then I don't know what needs changing to make it better) so I just go with whatever its set at. While the lad was sorting my hyper out I was getting on and off etc etc and I was asking questions all the way through...he would push the rear of the bike down and then let it up and then make some adjustments and then with the front - id ask "what are you doing now?" and he'd pause and just say "just making some small adjustments.." and then followed by "you kind of get a feel for whats right and whats not...which tells me that experience seems to reign supreme when it comes to suspension...

EG: I had my RSV4 set up last year just before the TT and it was great....during the course of the year I scored a nitron race pro for the rear from a lad who was the same weight...fitted it, and immediately the front felt like it was made of oak...the reason was the rear had dropped down releasing the load from the front so without doing a thing to the front it all changed - had it set up again just before this years TT and again absolutely brilliant....well, it was on one of the coast roads on the north of the island that had just been relaid in lovely new tarmac. For a couple of hours there was just me and my mate on it going backwards and forwards with no speed limits...awesome.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Cool...

Ive got an idea on suspension but I'd never of thought to try 10 turns of front preload when the factory settings is 3......

Normally that would raise the front loads and make its stance like a chopper

I've read loads on ducati.ms that have the same preload wound all the way and in makes no difference to the sag.....don't know what it does on my forks but it feels better :D

9. i like to think of myself as like a marquez/woffinden/redding mash up - capable of getting my shoulder and/or head down on the faster corners and able to slide her round sideways when the conditions are a bit trickier

(this is of course absolute bollocks and im usually just happy to make it home in one piece)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Nuke Post Nuke Post x 1
  10. I think I'm a Carlos Checa....

It might look like I'm in control but it could go pear shaped very quickly at any point.....

• Funny Funny x 3
  11. I am a Luddite and only know that when it's set up properly I just go faster.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. I'm a knee off guy. Found it weird on the hyper at first as body position is so different to a sports bike, feels like my arms are getting in the way.

Got used to it now and have to get my knee down on every ride or I don't feel complete.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. Changed my style a bit and it seems better too.....

I was knee out anyway ( As much as my little legs could) but I was moving slightly back on the seat first......

Now I stay balls against the tank with my leg out and it definitely feels better

14. Interested in the settings, I have never really measured what I eventually ended up with, so I thought it was time I did, so this is how mine is setup:
    2012 Hypr 1100 evo (not sp)
    Rider weight 11.5 stone
    (front preload backed off to 0)
    Static sag rear: 13mm
    Static sag front: 13mm
    Rider sag rear: 30mm
    Rider sag front: 30mm
    Damping
    Front
    Rebound 2 turns out
    Comp 4 turns out
    Rear
    Rebound 2 turns out
    Comp 2 turns out

15. I used comfysofa settings then tweaked the preload to suit me again

50mm front
    40mm rear

And it feels much better again....feels like I'm loading the front more as before was 30mm front
    60mm rear !

16. I have no idea what that means but as long as its better....!

• Like Like x 1
  17. I just kinda ride my Strada.
    It was all a bit weird to start off with , dragging pegs and stands and what felt like normal angles of lean and the front very slappy to boot. I tightened everything up suspension wise , which is bugger all on a Strada , but that helped with clearance and I seem to have maybe calmed down my rider inputs and that seems to have sweetened it all up . Maybe I was just a little too aggressive on a bike that was lighter in weight than i'm used to with wider bars making it even worse.
    Yes I shift my weight to the inside of a bend , no I don't stick my leg out . Somewhere in between works for me.

18. Jody

Are these rider sag values?

19. They were total sag with me sat on it mate...

I read on some other forums that 50mm/40mm sag works good on the older Hypers and I'm inclined to agree....

20. My Hyper felt proper weird when I first got it but now It feel miles better thanks to proper sag and stealing comfys settings :D

Do Not Sell My Personal Information