1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poll : Riding Style

Discussion in 'Hypermotard' started by Jody, Jul 7, 2016.

?
  1. Bolt upright no matters what lean angle

8.3%
  2. Supermoto style leaning the bike

27.8%
  3. Knee out hanging off

50.0%
  4. Other

22.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Ive dropped my front yolk about 8 mm down so my 30 sag is about 38 in reality,

2. 13/13? Way too hard, you have any fillings left?!

Seems 50/40 works well on these hypers, I'd go with that. Start with 30/25 static sag (ie no rider) and see how close that is to the numbers above hen you climb aboard

• Like Like x 1
  3. Front preloaded is backed right off so can't get more sag, will pull apart to see if I can reduce spacers to get more sag, static 30 , preloaad range is only 8 mm, not much I think.

4. When you say 8mm, is the how far the forks compress along the tube when stading the bike up OR how much thread you can wind in/out of the adjuster at the top?

Is its the first, sounkds like springs of rock not steel! Or way too much oil

5. I'm getting confused (doesn't take much)

If your static sag is 30, what is it with you sat on the bike ?

6. Jody, the static 30

7. Jody, the static 30 i stated is my target.

Bradders, you were right, something is wrong... I released the fork caps one by one & got a huge pressure release, & guess what? the static sag now is 35mm & rider sag is now 48mm.
    I hadn't noticed the change as it was gradual, the clue was how the bike sat on sidestand, seemed to be leaning over more than normal obviously due to high front.
    I used to bleed air from my ktm regularly, these forks have not been opened for a year (12k miles) or so.

Tip of the day, bleed your forks 3 or 4 times a year...

Road test in hour or so, will report back...

Thanks for questioning my results, without you I wouldn't have realized.

• Like Like x 2
    • Nuke Post Nuke Post x 1
  8. Jody, thats how mine was before bleeding & it made no sense, try it.

• Like Like x 1
  9. I've never worried about static sag just rider sag....

10. How did you hold your front wheel in the air while unscrewing the fork caps ?

All I think to do is to do one at a time and hold the bike on the sidestand with the fork extended fully before tightening it back up..

11. I'm just new to the Hypermotards having just bought a 796 and when riding on the roads I have found that a knee stuck out creates enough drag to pull the bike in the direction you want to go and for the tighter bends an added cheek off the seat works a treat.

They are great fun!

• Like Like x 1
  12. Jody, you are spot on with the method, back preload right off & just unscrew till the hiss of pressure release, the thread is still engaged at this point. If you remove the cap the bike will want to fall as only one spring will be supporting the weight.

Well, bike certainly turns in better with correct sag, felt less bumpy too...

• Like Like x 2
  13. Welcome gcon45

14. Mr Sofa - where is this suspension guru of which you speak?

15. Unity Road MC's - go past JHS (which would be on your left) you get to the end of the road and turn right - straight away you go under a railway bridge and then you go into a small trading estate. Past a building on your right and straight in front of you would be the side of a bank of units - thats Unity road cycles there - theres a set of steel mesh gates (thats the workshop) but you go in through the front. Ironically the lad who did my suspension left that week to work for Fowlers...! Although ive not seen him there (in Fowlers) im guessing he's in the workshop. So, im not sure who's doing the suspension work at Unity...Nice bunch though. Ill never set foot in JHS again ill say that much.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information