1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

749 Post Oberon Biting Point

Discussion in '749 / 999' started by tater, Mar 6, 2017.

1. At the back end of last year I installed an Oberon master cylinder to replace the standard one which catastrophically went pop. All works as it should except for the fact that the biting point is now at the point just before I release the lever. is there any minor adjustment I need to make? have I just not bled them properly? It's rideable but just not very easy to use.

2. Hi , Is this the master cylinder (handle bar end ) or the slave cylinder ?(engine end)

3. The Oberon is a bigger cylinder and the reason the lever gets a little lighter. It's a simple hydraulics system so as you have increased piston diameter but the master is still only displacing the same amount of fluid, the biting point has moved because the slave moves less for the same amount of displaced fluid. Not really any adjustment in the mechanics of it but you could try altering the span adjuster on the lever if your hands will allow or thin down the clutch pack with a couple of thinner steel plates.

• Useful Useful x 1
  4. Thanks for the response, looks like the price of the slightly lighter clutch action is a bit less usable bite point. Will give it another bleed at the weekend and see if that helps at all.

5. Yes, the lighter lever action is coming from extra mechanical advantage, which means you have to pull the lever further for the same amount of movement of the pushrod and pressure plate.

6. That's my point , couldn't believe your post was overlooked with out a response.
    Clutch set up is now more critical as you have less lever force needed to disengage the clutch .

7. Ah yes, hadn't picked up on the Oberon 'master-cylinder'...

8. ??

9. The master cylinder pumps the same amount of brake fluid as previously, the slave cylinder is a larger diameter piston so has a greater fluid capacity . So the master cylinder pumps fluid into the slave cylinder which moves a shorter distance .

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. sorry for the confusion it is indeed the slave cylinder (engine end).

11. Indeed.
    The pushrod and pressure plate are moved a lesser distance by the same movement of the handlebar lever. Therefore it is even more important to ensure that all air is bled from the system or you will be that much more likely to suffer clutch drag and consequent gear selection problems, particularly engaging neutral at rest.

#11 Old rider, Mar 9, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2017
  12. Theres a bleed nipple inside the master reservior.

13. It's all a compromise.
    The Oberon slave is not a magic bullet, it represents a different compromise.
    Ducati have chosen a compromise that gives you more lever effort but more range of movement of the pushrod and pressure plate.
    Oberon are offering a different compromise giving less lever effort but more movement of the lever and less movement of the pushrod.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information