1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1198 Prepping For Track

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by blackduc238, Mar 17, 2016.

1. Purchased a wrecked 2010 1198s corse se from an insurance auction and getting it ready to race regionally this year.
    High speed lowside on right side. Right clip on snapped in half, right controls, throttle, master destroyed. Front, right, rear body wrecked. Right rearset tabs broken off. Other than that it looks to be in good shape.
    I managed to get all the parts I need from various boards and have finally gotten some good weather where I can work on her in the garage.
    I've actually been pretty lucky so far. I managed to get in touch with the original owner and got the immobilizer card, spare keys and upgrades (pzracing gps for the dash and gear indicator)
    Then at a local motorcycle show I was chatting with a mechanic for one of the national teams, turns out he used to be a Ducati factory mechanic. Had a box of spares in his garage..met up the next day and ended up with a new full termi 70mm system, front rotors, woodcraft clipsons and rearsets. All for less than the rearsets. Huge score.[​IMG]
    I'm planning to get the speedy-moto rearset tabs welded on this weekend, Next will be to finish the teardown so I can install the throttle control.
    I still have a bunch of safety wiring drilling to do, but will do that as I remove parts.

• Like Like x 11
  2. Nice job!
    Lucky with the exhaust etc!
    R

3. Yeah what a fluke to meet the guy and find out he had all the extra parts! Can't wait to get the welding done so I can start to do some real prep work

4. Airbox off last night. What a pain to remove that! So many connectors, and clamps! I'm not looking forward to replacing it!
    New throttle cables installed (old ones were damaged in a crash)
    Frame tab (where the brake side clip on installs) welded on. Bought the motoholders tab and had it welded on (I suck at welding). As a bonus it gives me some adjustablilty with the rearsets.
    Couple more bolts safety drilled.
    Not bad considering it was pretty cold over here! (-2).
    Heres the new rearset tab. Still have to clean it up and paint but slowly getting there.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. While the weather was nice I got the forks off and discovered my Ohlins cap tool does not fit the cap on these forks. Waste of money! Ordered a pin spanner wrench (looks like they can fit any of the caps). Figured while I was at it, I would get the oil level tool as well. Might as well make life easy.
    I'be been collecting bits while I've been waiting.
    PZracing gps lap timer that integrates into the cluster
    PZracing gear indicator
    70mm full termi exhaust
    OEM quick shifter
    Woodcraft rearsets

DSC_0234.JPG

• Like Like x 2
  6. Picked up an oem quick shifter! Stoked to put that on. I have an S but the bike and ecu are setup for it. Just have to load an sp map and it should be good!
    Still waiting on the pin spanner for the ohlins caps..Ordered the Ohlins fork oil. Season is approaching pretty fast!

7. Awesome weather finally here. 23c and sunny.
    Installed the 70mm Termi race system. WOW it looks huge!
    Installed racing stay and cluster.
    Reinstalled airbox (NOT FUN). Brute force and ignorance works best.
    Installed PZracing GPS and gear indicator. Took forever to find the connector for the GPS! I would never have found either if it wasnt for the Ducati forums!
    Fitted the traction control module and new rearset on brake side.
    Removed and replaced old oil sight glass (was damaged in crash). It was WAY easier to replace compared to my BMW.
    Drilled the oil plug (had to drill on an angle) and oil/filter change.
    GBracing engine guard installed.
    Its way more fun seeing her getting put back together! I can't wait to finally get to reprogram and hear her fire up!

• Like Like x 2
  8. Nice so far, and assume its a cheap track tool

• Like Like x 1
  9. Ummmm ducati and cheap don't seem to go together! Haha
    But yeah, I'll be racing regionally in twin hwt

10. Enjoying reading this. Don't forget the photos !

11. Regarding the Ohlins caps...
    If nobody has had the caps off prior to you, you should be able to remove them without a tool. Just clamp the tube well below the cap and undo the preload until you hit the stop. Then undo it some more. Only use a small amount of force. If it is going to open it will open easily, otherwise find a proper tool. They are not done up tightly when they come from the factory. There is an O ring that seals the cap to the pipe. I was told this by a mechanic in the States and when I tried it both caps came off easily.

12. I backed off the preload but didn't try the caps. As soon as I tried to fit the tool and noticed it didnt fit, I raged and decided it was best for me and the bike to give up and order the proper part.

13. Pics
    Shot of exhaust (baby got back)
    Shot of brake side rearset mounted on new tabs. As a ghetto side note, I used tractor/farm implement red spray paint. The color was pretty close! The paint on the frame had a lot of chips out of it so I just wanted to get it covered.

DSC_0270.JPG

DSC_0271.JPG

14. Tractor yep sounds about right :upyeah:

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. When ever I see a 70mm pipe i'm always struck by how big it looks. That pick doesn't change that feeling. huuuuge.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. disadvantages of buying a salvage bike from a dealer auction...
    Someone stole parts before it got to me! ARGH
    Right away the brake master was missing. Figured it was off from the crash..nope..removed..the brake lines were fine. ARGH
    Next, I got a coil error code when winterizing it (yes..it does get cold in Canada in the winter). Thought maybe it was the battery or from being outside..didn't worry. Well I went to check and discovered, someone had taken the horizontal coil! Luckily I had around got one as a spare. Next up was the rear brake pedal missing. I bought aftermarket rearsets so no big deal. But the pin and spring were missing. What a pain to get! ARGH.
    These little bolts and parts are impossible to find and the deals have to order them all in, nothing ever seems to be in stock!
    On the bright side, tank is back on and connected, wiring for gps laptimer and gear indicator is routed and set, dry fitted the tail. still figuring out where to put the DDA plug so I have easy access.

17. Finally got some me time with the bike...well part of her anyway.
    Did a oil change in the Ohlins forks. Son of a bitch was it hard compressing the spring to get to the cap nut!! I had to get help, just couldn't compress enough and get the wrench in! But its finally done!
    Since I have the forks off and in my basement, I'm going to drill out the pinch bolts and then finally start to put the bike back together again!
    Next up is new Dunlop slicks, and front brake pads.

18. I love this! So much better than pics of super clean bikes with bling. Wish I had the skilz. Looking forward to the updates as you progress, good luck!

• Like Like x 1
  19. I'm also very bitter. First race of the series is on the weekend of the 28th. Found out yesterday my 9yr old daughter is singing in a professional musical that weekend..Gonna have to skip the first race..not enough room for me to live in the garage long term ;)

• Like Like x 1
  20. When drilling the bolts to safety wire...you will break bits...lots of them...and when the break they will break inside the bolt to make life miserable...
    Just a warning.
    Rear brake bolts are the last of the bolts to drill...yippee

Do Not Sell My Personal Information