1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 DVT Question: Which Bluetooth Headsets / Phone

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by John W, Apr 19, 2017.

1. If you want to use any of these devices in the rain then you need to check out their IP rating. Sena is definitely not waterproof so seems a pretty pointless piece of kit. I've been using Packtalk with iPhone 7 on BT Channel 2 & the Ducati on BT Channel 1. My Garmin 590 isn't connected so music is from the phone. Everything seems OK but the Packtalk's instructions are absolutely useless!

2. Interphone f5mc is ip rated.

3. Interphone Tour is waterproof

4. The older sena 10 never failed , even in real pissing rain for days on end

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Thanks guys. Really good to hear the Garmin 59x works well with the interphone, iphone and bike.

I do like the look of the packtalk but worried by the number of negative reviews. hottubbiker, can you choose which bt channel and type of connection on the packtalk ?

None of my riding buddies have packtalks so its unlikely we would be able to form a mesh, despite their better technology. A couple of them have scala rider q3. Will these link to the packtalks or interphones if required ? (not top of my list, but would be handy for piss taking on the move :smile:)

When you guys are playing music, is it always from your phone ?
    I tend to play it from the satnav as its bike powered so doesnt run the phone down so much.
    I guess it might be easier for me to change my practice rather than try to make them work differently :blush:

6. With the Packtalk, you can choose which of the two BT channels you want to use for bike & phone or bike & satnav. You Then I pair the 'phone to the bike and the Packtalk (on the spare BT channel) to the bike. When you startup you need to power the bike up first followed by the Packtalk. That way you get true 'independent' connectivity to two media/control devices. I did try and connect the satnav to the bike's other channel but it screwed up the iPhone connectivity. I use Spotify on the phone for my music hence no need for the Garmin to get involved and complicate things. To answer your question, the Packtalk will connect with non DMC fitted devices via standard BT connection. Me and a mate did a bit of research at the shows and online and went with the Packtalk as it's the latest technology and has a separate jack socket for headphones or ear buds. I agree with others that whilst there are a few issues (what headset doesn't) then Cardo are sure to sort as it's now their flagship product.

7. ok, thanks. Your making me reconsider the packtalk again :yum:

now a more general usage question.

You mentioned turning bike on first. So do you leave the BT on the phone enabled, then turn the bike on, followed by the headset ?
    I'm wondering about petrol, coffee and lunch stops. It would be a pain to get back on the bike and to find I couldnt hear the wife :smile:
    More worrying would be having no satnav, as I often lead trips.

8. It's just a case of powering down the Packtalk each time and then powering it up after you've powered the bike up. The phone being on all the time shouldn't be a problem. You can always turn off/on BT on the phone as and when if there's ever a problem.

Don't understand your q re satnav. It will still work just no voice commands (which is my preferred method of route following!)

9. re satnav: music for the wife for the boring bits, and instructions for the technical bits. No directions is not a big deal, just annoying, especially if it works sometimes and not others. It would be a pain if I have my phone linked through it as I do now, but if the phone is linked through the bike in future that would be less of a problem.

10. I never switch anything off using the Interphone apart from satnav powering down with the bike. Both headsets and phone remain on, with satnav powering up when bike switches on...all connect and work perfectly every time.

11. Thanks for all your comments.

We dropped in to motolegends on Saturday to try on the new schuberth c4. Nice helmet and can be fitted with their new intercom modules. Interesting to see they have swapped to using sena manufactured kit.
    My concern is that the visor still has no adjustability. Our current schuberth's are shite for not sealing any more. A pair of helmets and intercoms is also ~1600 quid :anguished:

We also had a good look at the cardo pack talk, interphone tour, and sena 20s.
    We didn't like the tour (mount and cabling).
    The sena looks nice, and the app looks good. Not so keen on the mount.
    My wife preferred the cardo on looks and although we haven't tried it, she thinks it will be easier for her to get on with. Our riding buddies have cardo units too, so it's the likely choice.

We haven't bought them yet as I want to get new crash helmets first (another mine field !)

12. Don't do it. It's expensive crap and I both rue and lament ever buying them as they are buggy as hell, randomly turn off, become unresponsive and lock up. The fact that Schuberth have switched to Sena should tell you something.

13. Yep, it's a fair point rainman.
    Bizarrely having looked on the Garmin site I'm not sure the latest headsets will work with my 590.
    I thought Bluetooth versions were backwards compatible.
    The dealer is telling me it will work, but they would say that. I'm going to wait until after our trip and then see which actually connects / works in the shop.

My mates have card units and think they are great. Is it just the last ones are buggy, they have been out a while now ?

14. I'm using a Cardo Sho-1 the guts of which are effectively their top-end solution but packaged in a way to make for a better installation for Shoei helmets. I've had it for 2 years and have had to have replacements under warranty, and more lately I've had to buy new cabling which went faulty as it was out of warranty at a cost of £40. What is more annoying than that is that Cardo are extremely slow on releasing firmware for the various software bugs in this unit, of which there are many which occur frequently. These include:-

Randomly refusing to connect to an existing device - requiring a full reset.
    Voice control stops working - requiring power cycle using the power button.
    Unit works with sound, etc, but no response from any control input - requiring battery disconnect/reconnect.
    Cardo phone app stops connecting - requiring a full reset.

This unit isn't a new model but is still Cardo's "go to" solution for Shoei owners and the latest firmware is only v1.5, which for a model which is a few years old now is poor, particularly has it desperately needs some update loving. Their support guys generally take a couple of days to get back to you if you contact them by email - they're not quick but they do at least respond.

I've used it with an iPhone 5S, Lumia 620, Lumia 920, Lumia 930, Lumia 950XL, iPhone SE and now iPhone 7. Bizarrely enough it's been more reliable with the Windows phones but there is no app. It's been more temperamental with iPhones with varying results depending on the IOS version. I've no idea what it's like with an Android handset because my work prevents me from using one.

15. my samsung galaxy 6 works fine with the hub as does my interphone F5MC. The charge lasted for a couple of 6 hour days. I've changed lids for a Shark Evo which is noisy so the speakers on the headset need an upgrade. My issue is the Gamin 660 wont connect to the bike. The bike sees it but wont connect. The satnav connects easily to the headset

16. I still rate the Shoei Neotech with the Interphone (with pro audio option). The voice commands mean you don't get lost and choose the wrong option when scrolling through the buttons.

I have the older F5MC units, but think the newer slimline opens also have the pro audio option

17. Didnt know there were older and newer F5MC units....i thought there was only the one type....having said that ive been using mine for the last 2 weeks constantly (breaking new lid in) and trying to use the interphone to get used to it before the TT and i have to say i almost prefer it over my mp3 player now....the only real issue it noise...i get more from the outside world and the headphones arent in ear. My earbuds blank out alot of the nasty noises...

18. I have a c3 pro with src pro, and it links with the multi without problems, and I have a shark with a sena smh10 and also works well, time of use, with music without stopping, about 7 hours, but to link between the helmets, there are That link them as universal headsets, outside the system of the multi, I do not know if the two were of the same brand could, what I do is that I link the sena to the multi as rider, I link the phone also to the multi system, And use it for music and browser and then on the seine, selecting universal intercom, and the schuberth by selecting to look for telephone (as intercom does not connect) direct links, and from there, the sena has to share their music with the passenger, So I send the schuberth the music and I can also talk to the passenger, I suppose if they were the two of the same brand would link directly the two from the bike but I'm not sure, also if I connect the schuberth as a passenger helmet to the bike Escuc Ho the phone as music or browser but I can not talk to the other helmet or answer calls I think I have expiated, if you use experience, I record it and upload to youtube.

19. Hmm, written English and punctuation not a great skill in the last post methinks.

20. Iphone 4S - bought it just because my lg leon (H320) blocked my TFT of the MTS S - ducati/dealer never fixed that! And the most LOL of that it was on the day i took it home, the TFT blocked right in front of the salesman! "The LG phones do not work very good here"
    Works fine, i guess! Sometimes music is not available, sometimes music is available! When it is available, initially works with hiccups.

Scala Rider G9 (a pair) - Never have another to compare but for the price, is brown toilet!
    Conected to the motorcycle, the sound get low. And it interferes more on it, because in one moment it is high and in another moment is low. I'm refering to speaking with the passenger.

No GPS!

Do Not Sell My Personal Information