1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

999 Quit Clutch Mod (again- Sorry)

Discussion in '749 / 999' started by postmaster, Nov 8, 2016.

1. There is a min/max stack height, go off that. Plates are pretty thin and don't have a lot of meat on them from new.

2. If you do the mod, the worn tangs no longer matter too much because the stack will no longer oscillate, so the tangs will take up against the basket slots as you release the clutch and stay there. Derek on here got 36000 miles out of one set of friction plates using the mod, so the friction material will last a long time, even if there's not much of it.
    I would try using your existing plates and basket, problems can arise with new plates and a notched basket because the new sharp edges and larger unworn tangs can catch on the notches as the motor warms up, causing really nasty drag.

#22 Old rider, Dec 25, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2016
  3. Grease --- Tell me about the grease.

Just kidding

• Like Like x 1
  4. Lithium....used it...it works...regreased them a few days ago...

5. Shhhhh, don't tell everyone...

6. I had heard that if you grease them a good thing to do is stick them in the oven to get the grease to soak in....anyone done that?

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

7. I might have done...

Don't tell anyone though... :/

8. Go on...spill it...how long and how hot!? [emoji1]

9. Ok but keep it quiet and definitely don't tell Steve R.
    Rub it well in, wipe off the excess, 200 degrees till the smoke stops but it stinks and the wife will not be happy. I waited till she was out for the day but she still complained about the funny smell... :/

10. A funny smell, like a clown's fart?

(Sorry, Christmas cracker joke)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Your supposed to fry bacon after yo cover the smell. Rookie error.

12. I might be able to get away with that....more questions...

Does the smell hang around/get in the taste of anything cooked in there after...

Once done is it permanent? Or doing it that way does it extend the times between decreasing them?

13. Same with aluminium, unless, like Derek, you use the quiet clutch mod and get 36000 miles out of the friction plates and negligeable wear to the alloy basket.

14. Just a quick update.
    I reduced the stack height but got really bad slip.
    Went back to using all the original plates all is good.
    I've had 3 100 mile rides now and the lack of rattle is, to my mind,
    a huge improvement. Still get it when disengaging clutch so I can
    tell Ime on a Ducati. Love it. Thanks for all your input (@oldrider)

• Like Like x 2
  15. Yes, if it's like mine, you'll be getting quite a musical jangling with the lever pulled in :)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information