1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recommended Gear For Uk/europe Riding

Discussion in 'Clothing, Gadgets & Equipment' started by flatairbag, Jan 4, 2017.

1. It seems my leathers have shrunk quite a bit over winter... must be the cold weather :innocent:

Im planning a few trips this year and so confused over what gear. At the end of the day if I was binning it down the road my leathers would seem the obvious weapon of choice.. but that opinion is just based off my lack of experience in using textile gear.

There were a few times in recent years when i've had my two piece leather suit dripping at track days/weekends away/bike shows etc.. not ideal. I considered perforated leathers for my next set of gear. Potential problem I could see with perf stuff is ive been generally ok temp wise once I get riding in the wind.. its sitting in traffic, or off the bike when the going gets tough when its warm. At the end of a long day out it can get a bit chilly as the sun goes down... So would perforated gear be too limiting for anything besides warm days in the UK?

I'm planing on going to Spain in June, France in Sept.. (maybe around 20C - 35C range??)
    Kicking about IOM/Scotland/Wales/Lakes/Yorkshire for Spring/Summer/Autumn.. (Anywhere between 8C - 30C??). So as venturing a bit further from home I was wondering if it best to go with waterproof well-vented textile gear, or stick to leathers (perf or non?) and use rainsuit/windblock layers.

Cheers for any advice.

2. Check out the carve master mate.
    Its a cracking bit of kit for touring. I did spain in November which went from about 2 degrees to 20 and it was brilliant. I think they're around 350 for the jacket.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. You need a system that layers. A textile jacket with protection where it is need and mesh panels where it is not plus an outer jacket for when it is chilly.

I have used a BMW Airshell jacket well into the 20's and down into low single figures with Knox outer shell.

Anything will be hot in the 30's when you slow down.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Dainese two-piece leathers zipped together, Sidi boots, Knox Handroid gloves. If it starts to rain, add lightweight waterproof jacket and trousers over the top, and swap to waterproof gloves. That suits all conditions from Naples in a heatwave to Stelvio in a snowstorm, I find.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Have tried everything. Hein Gericke goretex tcx with leather patches was great, but they too 'shrunk' and are no longer available. A bit warm at times as well..
    After that I would say vented zip together leathers. goretex cycling over jacket (got a great one for £55) and separate troosers. This will cover every eventuality.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. I have been dripping in a UK summer with these :Wideyed:

• Like Like x 1
  7. Laminated textiles (waterproof outer shell) are the warmest, strongest, most water-proof but also the most expensive (Rukka) and the hottest of the textiles in summer.
    Gortex textiles (waterproof liners) are lighter, cheaper and better ventilated. While good ones (Dainese Carve Master) do keep you dry the outer layer soaks up the water (though Dainese is better in that respect than most) and they can feel cold and clammy in the rain which leaves you feeling you're wet through even though you're not, so they need careful layering.
    Generally, retailers advise Rukka or similar laminates for year-round riding in the UK and Gortex for summer riding in Europe. Textile protection levels are very good these days but you can always up the protection with separate body armour.

Personally I'm undecided on Gortex. I've got a Dainese Carve Master and equivalent trousers and they are excellent. Far more comfortable than laminate in the heat and much cooler and lighter than leather but I've yet to find the layering combination that removes the unpleasant clamminess when its raining that comes from having only a thin membrane of Gortex liner between your skin and the rain which can make even a summer downpour in the UK feel cold and miserable. The outer layer of Gortex-lined clothing will become saturated eventually and if you get caught in a spell of prolonged wet weather it may not get the chance to dry out in between rides and the suit can get manky and heavy.
    On the other hand a saturated outer layer of a Gortex suit will dry out far quicker than leather.

The dryest and most comfortable I've been in the rain was with a cheap but very effective Spada one-piece over-suit worn over leathers as Pete says. The trick is to have the discipline (and the opportunity) to pull over and don the suit at the first hint of rain and not push on hoping it will ease off until its too late and you're wet through anyway. And you blow up like a Michelin man on the move.

#7 Gimlet, Jan 6, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2017
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. I have a set of Hein Gericke textiles but I also have two piece leathers with a perforated jacket and I find that I prefer using these on almost all occasions.
    They coped (as well as anything) in the sweltering Italian summer heat for the last two WDWs, but obviously they're chilly in cold conditions.
    BUT ... I recently bought a Spada windproof shirt to wear underneath and I can't speak highly enough of it.
    Using this, I've done 70 mile nightime runs in November this year with no problem and I was out in the same gear just yesterday (short commute) with no problems.
    Its windproof down the front of the torso and arms, but thin and very breathable at the back, and its also a good length to tuck in and avoid midriff draughts.
    The shirt folds small so its really easy to carry when out for a summer ride with the likelihood of a cold, late return journey.
    I also recently bought a Rev-it waterproof over-jacket .. their cheapest, lightest, thinnest model (cyclone 2). This will be carried for a rain layer if the heavens open and also as an extra windproofing option if it gets really chilly. Its close-fitting, hi-viz and has scotchlite reflective bits. Haven't tested this yet though.
    That lot is definitely my favourite all-round combo and I use it most of the time.
    Both additional layers will fit into a very small bag which I strap to the pillion seat.
    If the forecast is dire I still sometimes don the textiles, but that has become an increasingly rare event.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. A 3 layer Jacket, where you can remove the thermal layer and the waterproof layer to allow the venting to let the air pass through. While the Dainese Carve Master is an excellent jacket , you can not remove the cortex lining when it gets hot, so the air only vents into the lining. Dainese Sandstorm is about the cheapest of this type of Jacket that allows you to remove the liners depending on the weather conditions. Revzilla do a good you tube video of the product. The Rukka is the best but they are SO heavy

10. Haven't tried my Carve Master in hotter climes but on the hottest of UK summer days I found it very comfortable with the vents open. The trousers with non-removeable Gortex haven't as much venting and do feel hotter but they're better than leathers and feel less burdensome in hot weather because they're lighter.

11. I have never seen a local rider in this part of France wearing leather. The risk of dehydration when wearing them in our summer would be far greater than the risk of coming off your bike.
    When we are out on our bikes we see the French cops in shirtsleeves and can tell a visiting Brit biker without seeing the number plate, he will be the one clad in black leather.
    One thing that is now law in France is that you must now wear motorcycle gloves when riding a motorcycle.

12. Thanks to all for the info, great to get some detailed feedback.

I guess the other factor here is that using your bike to go further afield brings another dimension in terms of "nipping out for dinner" on it and stopping off at cafe's, walking to see some sights etc. The textile stuff looks to have a real advantage here. Ill checkout the carve master and others next week at the dianese shop.

I assume that two pairs of both summer and waterproof gloves would be the best call when away for a week or two?
    And Boot suggestions? Goretex and put up with the extra warmth in summer or vented boots with waterproof socks?

13. I wear these boots for more or less everything but scratching and trackdays and really rate them:
    TCX X-On Road Gore-Tex - buy cheap ▷ FC-Moto

I bought a pair of shorties to go with some kevlar jeans and then decided I didn't really like the jeans but stuck with the boots with both leathers and textiles because they were so good.
    I've worn them day in, day out through UK summers and they've never got hot or sweaty. Two years old this spring and still in excellent condition and I've only cleaned them once. They've got all the usual touring boot levels of protection but they're supple and comfortable on and off the bike and they've been 100% waterproof after 6 hours in the saddle in continuous rain. I lived in them for for week-long touring trips, wet and dry no problem.
    They are short though so you have to be sure you trousers or leggings will cover them. They were fine with my Dainese trousers riding my KTM 990 which has an upright riding position.
    I would confidently go for the longer more dedicated touring version from TCX for longer or three season trips.
    My gloves are Held Wave Gortex. Discontinued now but I'd buy whatever is their latest equivalent on the strength of these.
    https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/111535
    Waterproof, three season (just) with bonded liners that haven't budged in twelve months and reliably waterproof. Leather though, so the outers will get damp and clammy. Rukka makes some textile gloves with waterproof outers but they're not as warm spring and autumn.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Funny Funny x 2
  14. Ha.. yeah.. they would be useful.. I wonder if they would catch on tho?

I could see them being very effective when:
    Ive just given you the shits as I screamed past your car door at 90mph..
    As I did so, my cool exhaust system woke your baby which is now screaming its head off..
    The same cool exhaust freaked your dog out which is now barking its head off competing against the baby..
    Your 16 year old thought I looked so cool he has just told you he wants to get his motorcycle license..
    We stop at the lights.. you read my sexy "POLITE NOTICE" notice vest.. and you get this strange temptation to push the accelerator down really hard instead of brake..

• Like Like x 1
  15. Best combo I've arrived at is vented leathers and Held Wet Tour over-jacket and trousers put on when weather looks iffy. Breathable claim seems to be valid thus far, none of the sweaty boil-in-the-bag experiences of the older over-suits. I no longer ride though the Winter but do have Dainese Goretex jacket and trousers that are a bit long in the tooth but still work well for the odd late/early season ride.

The Held kit packs small, ideal for stuffing into top of panniers when touring, and seems well made. Jacket is getting a bit grubby around the edges. I can throw these over the top of my vented leathers if riding in lower temperatures, as well as when it's raining, effectively blocking off the perforations in the leathers and keeping comfortably warm. Not budget end considering that they are just over garments though I'm a firm believer in that the price is worth paying for function and performance.

So far as leathers in hot climates go; I've ridden in Spain and the South of France in highish temperatures and, so long as I'm on the move there is some air flow through the perforations, overheating isn't an issue. Around towns it can get a tad warm but we try to avoid urban sprawl if we possibly can.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. For daily commutes on my Multistrada I've invested in the Rukka gear, totally waterproof and still warm at 3C, went through massive thunderstorms in Europe last year but was totally dry. It has vents for milder days and I found that the trousers are usable whatever the weather. I tried mesh trousers in the south or Europe one year, but the heat from the engine and air made them no better. Armoured jeans are a bit more comfortable

I use a Dainese armoured mesh jacket and mesh gloves when the weather gets very hot and it's cool and comfortable (but not waterproof of course). It folds up fairly small and I can get the Rukka jacket in a roll bag on the seat when I'm on tour.
    Dainese Air-Frame Tex - buy cheap ▷ FC-Moto

Most important thing is to use a base layer to wick the sweat away. I find the Helly Hansen stuff very good, you can buy a thicker one for Winter and a very thin one for summer combined with thin leggings. Much better than a soaking wet T shirt. Easy to wash in the sink on tour at the end of the day. Cycling shops offer cheaper options than specific motorcycle brands.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. Rukka, every time.

18. Tex top/leather trous/hikers. Waterproofish textile jacket, easier to carry when you stop. leather trousers, +lightweight overtrousers and overgloves. I ride in goretex walking boots that can be worn out and about and look reasonable.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information