1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Relasing Chain If Overtightened - How To?

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Spikelikemike, Mar 26, 2017.

1. as title

Im a bit hamfisted with a spanner!

Adjusted the chain and now its at 40mm from centre of chain to underside of swingard when on stand - so about 9mm to taught

How do you slacken it?

Tried persuasion by wood and hammer to spindle block / ditto wheel tyre but ot wont slacken?

More persuasion? Or is there a right way?

Thanks in advance

2. Not sure what you mean? Can't you just undo rear spindle nuts and back it off?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Tried that but soesnt want to slip back when slackened off - Wd40?
    On the marker there are 3 grooves does anything clip into them? Or purely markers?

4. Have you undone the nuts enough to allow the spindle to push back? I would take the nut off the spindle (or as near as so no chance of tightened too much), back the adjuster right off (try and do equally each side) stand facing away from the back wheel and kick it back (imagine you are a horse being shoed). Have someone come bike if any risk of it falling over.

5. Will give it a whirl one afternoon this week thanks

Is it isual to be so taught when slackened off?

6. It may have something done up still a bit tighter than it needs, maybe the adjusters, it can need a good WHACK but normally a solid knee or whack with rubber mallet does it.

7. Do i have to loosed the main rear wheel nuts also!!!!!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. erm...YES!!

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. What a muppet!
    Thanks. - why didnt you tell me that:blush:

• Face Palm Face Palm x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. Refer you to post 5...

*walks away shaking head*

:tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

• Like Like x 1
    • Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  11. Not being harsh but things like that if you don't know what you're doing id stay away from, Silly dangerous grounds.
    We had a chain snap the weekend and we all go off lucky!

I have the full 899 workshop manual if you want it send me a message and ill email it you.

Stay safe

12. Its one of the only nuts I torque back up too, the wheel spindles. As Benny says, if unsure get a mate who can to just check it over; you will have to get it straight I'm the adjusters too :upyeah:

13. Take it to someone who knows what they're doing and have them show you what to do.

The owners manual shows how to do it and there's lot so of things in the net also.

I wouldn't advise you to go any further until your confidential how to do this job. It's very simple routine maintainance but very dangerous if done wrong

Basically slacken off the axle but (the big one!) slacken if the 2 adjusters lock nuts and wind in or out to correct position

If all is slack and the wheel is solid I suggest taking the wheel out and having a look

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Cheers buddy just being a womble thought the adjusters would do the job on their own - not riding it till i ease it off

• Like Like x 1
  15. Thanks also all makes sense now

16. I always do a final check with someone sat on the bike to make sure it's not too tight.

17. I wouldnt mind a copy of that please....ill pm you my email if thats ok?!

18. Thanks all

Cracked it today, all done and still in 1 piece, then popped and got the 1st MOT done all ship shape and like new.

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information