1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Removing Those Old Datatag Stickers

Discussion in 'Detailing and cleaning' started by tricolore, Aug 17, 2014.

1. Think this has been mentioned before with no real answers.

Has anyone tackled removing the old type of datatag sticker, the ones which seemed to be on every bike from the 90's.....I don't mean the numbers.

Before I tackle this has anyone tried before.

I've tried ringing Datatag but they said they're on there for a reason and you'll never get them off, surely it can only be stuck with glue and they've been on for 20 years !!

2. I've never tried to remove Datatag stickers but for other limpet-like stickers I use a hot air gun to soften the glue, then try and peel off. Hair drier would probably do. Take it easy with how long you blow hot air at it and how close you get to the surface concerned.

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. I have. When I bought my Z1000SX I fitted a very similar marking kit, and the very last sticker was the one to go somewhere nice and visible on the tank.

Except... I didn't quite get it on straight, and even though the sticker had only just touched the tank, that was enough. I spent the next hour alternately dousing the sticker in white spirit and picking at little bits of it with a fingernail. I got it all off eventually, but it's not an experience I'd care to repeat any time soon.

4. Not sure what you're doing with the bike but my concern would be 20 year old paint fade!
    For the removal hair dryer to warm up then isopropyl to get rid of glue could work.

5. Like AndyC I find white spirit is good for getting rid of what's left of the glue.

6. I have always used a hot air gun. Works for those pesky stickers all over the tank and frame. Works for bumper stickers etc. also.

7. Can also "saw" them off with dental floss or fishing line which will not mark the paint. Sticky stuff then can be taken care of with white spirit, Autoglym tar and glue remover or lighter fluid (stuff you use in a zippo not the aerosol can ;) )
    Done it a number of times removing badges from cars when replacing them with new.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Get the glue off with baby oil, especially good on screens

9. Petrol does a good job, I had a Datatag sticker on a fuel tank by the filler and it came off all by itself due to spills/fumes etc...

10. How did it go with getting the stickers off in the end?

I've got these I want to remove which I guess is the same thing?
    image.jpg

11. Can't help thinking a hairdryer might be a safer option... :/

12. Not tried yet but Hairdryer and a lot of patience sounds like the only option ?

13. Plus dental floss perhaps...

14. Mine came off all by itself-I had the tank tipped up overnight (fixing the fuel pump seal) and petrol leaked out of the filler and soaked off the Datatag label.

15. That sounds good.

I'll soak a cloth in petrol and tie it around the frame over the sticker for a few days and see what happens.

I'll have the dental floss to hand when I try taking it off.

I won't get the bike back yet for a few more weeks so I'll let you know how it goes once I've had a go at getting them off. Cheers.

16. How did you get on, any tips ? Going to tackle mine next week, been on for 23 years.

17. I've got no baby oil...will astroglide (personal lubricant) do?

18. I haven't been brave enough yet, or had the time. Still on the to-do list and getting closer to the top though.

19. I've just succeeded with a hair drier, a Waitrose loyalty card ('cos i'm posh like) and 1 hour of my time. No paint fade underneath for me, it was on black and had been on about 14 years but spent most of that time under a cover.

Removed the sticky residue (don't, just don't - you know who you are :Watching:) with chain cleaner, which is basically clutch/brake cleaner and it came straight off. Not sure how good that stuff is on paint but i'm going to be respraying so don't really care. I can't see any damage.

20. I removed one last week, easy job hairdryer then use connector cleaner for the sticky residue,
    ( Thats connector block cleaner as in on your wiring loom) it was on the tail piece no paint fade.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information