1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ride With Earphones?

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by Cream_Revenge, Dec 23, 2016.

1. I've thought about this sort of thing, but I decided I quite like the fact that the bike is one place people can't call me!!

I don't know about you, but I find riding (like sailing and kung fu) is one of the times that I really switch off and live in the present moment.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Couldn't agree more.

I commute 3 hours each way to London every week in all weathers, mostly on boring roads, invariably with drivers trying to kill me. I find that music keeps me sane. I have moulded ear plugs linked to my iPod, I even have a bike specific play list.

Sometimes you get into a video game zone, filtering whilst listening to some of my dodgy tunes :dizzy: I am still at one with my bike, I can still hear and feel my Termi doing what it does best :smile:

• Like Like x 2
  3. Bluetooth Earbuds.

Personally I don't listen to music while on a bike. I like to be sure I'm taking everything in and I don't feel the need. In the south most drivers are inadvertently out to kill you.

In a car yes, preferably at ear bleeding volume...surround sound. Great.

However I find audio nav instructions best on a bike. Especially the speed camera warnings, so I can speed up to the required limit and not get done for improper progress.

Latest experiment has been a TomTom linked to a bulky Bluetooth headset. However. These Bluetooth earbuds look well worth a punt for £12.45 A bit medical looking but hey you never know, might work.

Happy Christmas everyone.

Bluetooth Earbuds, Mini Bluetooth Wireless Stereo, AirPods. Earbud (Gold)

4. I run some Shure SE535 ear buds that separate in such an occasion.
    They also block out noise and sound superb and I have a noisy bike too
    Talking to your mates whilst riding in a group on a tour just adds a different dimension to motorcycling for me , we have a right laugh talking shit , warning each other of certain road situations , or a nice ass in the street.

Would be gutted not having the ability to do it , as well as protecting your ears from wind noise etc.....

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Cardo comms system linked to my phone for music. Always use it when on my own if i'm doing a boring commute ride. If I'm out for a proper ride (usually signalled by full leathers not textiles or jeans/jacket) then i'll go with no music.

When I don't have music, I do an El T and make my own. Last week I was riding in the dark/rain and forgot my Cardo so was singing songs from that BBC Show - Walliams & Friends (The Il Prima Donna sketch where they do operatic versions of playground songs, TV Jingles and football chants etc...).

6. is this like, on your bucket list Cream??
    I always wanted to swim with dolphins

7. If ever you do set your alarm off on your watch (if youre wearing one) - they find that quite interesting - and also the fact my wife was pregnant at the time (they were gently nudging her belly with their noses) interesting to watch...anyway...back on topic...

8. You warn against nice asses?!?!

9. You sometimes need a warning. I nearly went into the back of a car when they had those Billie Piper - Secret Diary of a Call Girl posters at bus stops. Only warning the car heard was the low growling coming from my lid! :smilingimp:

10. That was a series and a half!!! I had a low growl coming from my lid too Hubba hubba

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. i was told not to by policeman on bike safe course
    cant hear other bikes as they roar up and overtake

• Like Like x 1
  12. Totally agree I only wear ear plugs.. I like the fact that I can gather my thoughts and listen to the bike noise when I'm out and about.

13. You can get different density/size plugs to customize the amount of noise that gets through.....
    And If a policeman told you , it must be true.......maybe people wouldn't pass you if you were listening to some decent chowns ;)

14. I have plugs that are molded to my ears.. the company i used to work for paid a fortune for them and theyre fine... block out most frequencies apart from the ones i need to hear.

My mate whose a road traffic copper in Cheshire has told me numerous stories and showed me disturbing photos of whats left after bikers who have had earphones in have been in RTA's.

Hence i dont wear them because it compromises my road safety by not hearing because of music blasting straight into my lug hole.

And no one passes me cuz i knock em off lol:smilingimp::tonguewink:

15. I use ear plugs normally when riding, now I found some silicone ones which are really easy and nice to use.

When I have to go on a business trip to the capital, which is 1,5h on a motorway with not a lot of traffic, I use the bluetooth helmet headset to listen to podcasts. What a difference has it made. That stretch on the motorway just going forward was transformed when listening to podcasts I usually listen to. Time goes fast, and I enjoy the trip. Ofcourse before the headset I tried to take smaller roads etc., but when you just have to go very early in the morning to do a day in the office, I just want to get there and not wake up 1-2hours before. I always had to think will I take the car or the bike before (also the compensation from the company when riding a bike is a little bit lower than by car).

16. Ipod shuffle for me. Can feel the buttons through the tips of my gloves so can instantly turn it off/on/up/down or pick the right track to set the tempo. There are only 5 buttons, headphones are from an old Sony mobile phone, the cable is real short. Clip the shuffle to my bag strap. Music helps me ride better...

17. Emm!sounds like more distraction to interfere with safety,saw a guy texting at traffic lights the other day,everyone had to wait until he'd finished before progress was made,he was on a motorbike?

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information