1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 DVT Satnav Advice

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Pembroke Boy, May 17, 2015.

1. For info - CoPilot is currently on sale, £8.99 for 3d/speech etc, full europe map about £22 i think

2. I installed my old MTS(2013) Garmin Zumo mount and cable onto my DVT (2015) see video below, that shows exactly how to find the elusive Ducati cable and what to do to get your SatNav ignition powered.

The mount is from SW-Motech and fits the current DVT handlebar clamps..

Enjoy.

• Like Like x 5
  3. Nice one Mark. You've just saved me a lot of searching. I'll be installing my Garmin 590LM at the weekend. Looks like I've got a lot of cable to hide since it's such a convenient and short cable run.

Thanks,
    Phil

4. My pleasure, perhaps you can like the video on YouTube my first offering into such a help-vdeo

As you can see I shortened the Garmin cable as not to wind it up under the side panel and risk it getting caught.

I looked for ages online and couldn't find anything with images of what was needed for the new DVT ...dealer just said the panel pulls off, so Wrong!

I tried to keep it short but I hope I covered the necessary.. Let me know if you need any more...

TTFN

5. I'll be sure to hit your video with a like Mark. I've also ordered a Navihalter so I'm going to wait for that to arrive rather than installing it on the handlebars.

Thanks,
    Phil

6. Phil, with the Navihalter you have more cable used up so you may find that you don't need to shorten the very long length of the Garmin?

• Nuke Post Nuke Post x 1
  7. Hi Rainman / Phil.

Have got exactly the same sat nav and mount to fit (garmin 590 and the navihailter mount) onto my 2015 dvt Multistrada. What did you do with all the excess wires from the mount? Short of wrapping them in black and nasty and trying to plasti tie them out the way I wondered what you did?
    Haven't had a good look at where it might go as I've only owned the bike a wk but keen to get the sat nav mounted.

Dave

8. I shortened the cable by about 30cm for my SW-Motech mount and then used heat shrink to tidy the ends. Due to Bluetooth most of the wires are not needed and I just chopped them off, at alternative lengths so they didn't short each other out. :grinning:

9. Bugger I thought you might say something like that‼️
    I'm not very techy so haven't the confidence or tools to cut and heat shrink. It's a shame they don't sell the device with the various attachments so you can remove them but I guess that may affect the waterproof nature of it all.
    Thanks anyway though!

10. You'll need to solder the cable to the Ducati supplied plug anyhow. Although with the Navihalter you may not need to shorten the cable (??) so why not PM Phil or wait until he posts his mounting experience here :laughing: Failing that if your in the area of Sunny Berkshire I'm more than happy to help you fit it...?

11. I'm still waiting for my Navihalter to be delivered, but I found that you tidy up the Garmin cables without shortening them, by making 4" to 5" long slim bundle with some cable ties to stop them coming undone. Then, they can be poked underneath the black plastic piece to the left of the clocks, or they may even fit inside the black plastic cheek piece that you have to remove in Mark's video. If you worried about the cables popping out again then go down B&Q and get some sticky-back plastic plates which are designed to have cable ties pushed through them, zip-tie one either end of your cable bundle and then push the whole lot into the place to left of the display and push the sticky pads into the roof and hold them there whilst they hold. Works for me.

Phil

12. Incidentally, the little plug that Ducati kindly leave in there to power the Sat Nav. What's the polarity? They're both black wires!

Anyone know to save me the bother of putting a meter across them?

Phil

13. That's a very kind offer thank you but I'm Herefordshire so not really local! I thought the sat nav cable simple clipped into the lead on the left fork leg. If it's more technical I may have to let someone fit it as I really don't want to bugger it all up.......I have form!! Still loving the change up from my KTM to the Multistrada
    Can't wait to do some serious miles as the weather cheers up

14. That was my original plan Phil! Out of sight out of mind!! Annoyingly I've got a lot of this wk but will give it a go come the weekend.

15. You're best using the multimeter, but the bike side of the wiring loom may well be colour coded?

16. Yeah you're right. I pulled back the protective sheath around the cables and the positive is identifiable by a blue stripe.

I solder a JST female onto the bike and a JST male onto the Garmin and put heat-shrink over the whole thing. Super easy.

Navihalter turned up yesterday so swapped my handlebar mount for that. Very easy to install and I just poked the Garmin cable down the right side of the bike's display. I'm assuming that the light piece of angled metal with the double-sided sticky pad along it is a packing piece to go along the front edge of the screen height adjuster where the Navihalter hooks over it?

I'm very happy with the whole installation, it's very tidy and still maintainable. Ducati and Navihalter make the whole thing a doddle compared to other bikes. Having the SatNav out of the way also means my Givi tanklock bag is useable again too.

Phil

17. image.jpeg So have roped in a friend who possesses both a soldiering iron and heat shrink stuff, he works for Morgan cars in the fabrication dep so hoped he would have the kit, to help fit the navi and Garmin. The video really helps mark in terms of locating the wires so thank you and am sure it will become obvious once we start but the wires I'm attaching are the two smallest out of the massive bunch supplied with Garmin? Such a waste really! Can't wait to get it on and see how some of the functions work as a group of us have a 3 day trip round Wales planned for early spring!
    Will be my first big trip on the Multi and early impressions are good! Just hope the chemo can keep things at bay to let me get out there!

18. The wires coming out of the Garmin dock include one red (positive) and one black and red (negative). You don't really want to shorten them unless you're happy doing away with the inline fuse that's included. Personally I kept the fuse and just cable-tied them up into a compact bundle and poked the whole lot into the void to the left of the display.

Phil

19. No I shall do as you and keep the fuse and tidy it all away. Appreciate the reply. It's one of those you know the answer but it's nice to have it confirmed
    Hopefully one day at some Multistrada rally we shall all be able to show off the navi mounts and garmins! Lol

20. If you check my video at 54 seconds you can see I have retained the fuse block as well as shortening the cables to make things tidy, as I like tidy!

I suspect the Garmin cables are so long as to allow people to wire directly to battery connected under the seat?

DTN, enjoy your trip to Wales and all things MULTi

• Agree Agree x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information