1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1198 Service

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by yev, Mar 9, 2017.

1. going to put my 1198r on the road this summer.
    quick question: don't really fancy laying out 1k for service just for 5 months summer use...
    so-
    bike was last serviced 2.5 years ago proper...
    am i correct in saying that all i need to do is to change belts, plugs,drop the oil and change filters?
    or would there be more to it? if there would be anything else i am afraid it will be out of my confidence zone ( even belt change sounds scary) and she may need to go to a dealer which i really want to avoid as it was expensive year so far...

2. I had mine serviced inc belts for £330 a couple of months back. Valve clearances are mileage dependent, so the time laid up shouldn't effect the bike.

3. As mentioned, the valves are mileage dependant. It'd need an oil service, belts, brake fluids and possibly coolant. Plugs and air filters are mileage related. They can be checked/cleaned, but probably shouldn't/won't need swapping out.

4. The belt change is fine. It sounds complicated but if you watch the videos and take notes it's pretty straightforward.
    Take your time and be methodical. You have to do some counting of teeth on the belts but i'm sure you can count that far. Count 3 times to make sure it's right if you'e worried. I use tippex to mark the belt.
    Things to really watch out for are making sure you rotate the tensioning pulley the correct way when tensioning the belt. Do it the wrong way and the belt runs will touch and the belt will still be loose.
    Not good...
    The other thing to watch is that the pulley is sitting flat after you have tensioned it. Do this by placing a flat edge across both pulleys.
    Don't forget to get your belts from @Exige - his belts are every bit as good as oem and a fait bit cheaper. Since being taken over by VAG, Ducati prices for belts have risen to rip-off levels.
    Exige will supply you with new Fuji nuts as well. I know he can also supply better pulley bearings for some bikes, I don't know about yours.
    Be patient, take your time and keep checking. You'll be fine :)

5. Would you be tempted with a fuel filter change with it being laid up @nelly ?

6. If it were me and a 1198R I'd be handing to a select few to do most things. With only 70(odd) made, they are to be cherished.

Ps. Can I come see her 1 day please???

7. They are a model year change of a 1098R with an alloy tank and an 1198 sticker upgrade :)

8. Still only 70(odd) of the beautiful things though.

9. Yes, I want one :D

• Like Like x 1
  10. Do tell, where did you go for your service? Thanks

11. M&S. Not too far from youself. :upyeah:

12. Me too.

13. Thanks for that. I popped in there a couple of months back and asked for a quote. They don't know me from Adam to be fair, but said they'd email me a full breakdown across. Which they did - it was something like £800! They have a reputation for being greedy and that confirmed it for me - I was actually quite insulted and vowed not to spend any money there.

Now it seems they only try to rip off new customers? I'm not impressed

14. Well, they service all of my Ducatis and have always been spot on. I've also bought a new bike from them, buy all my parts and tyres there. I'm genuinely at the point where they just give me discount on parts and servicing (also pick up the bikes for free) without asking. I bought 2 tyres last week cheaper than I could have bought them anywhere else, even online, and they fitted and balanced them for £6.

I guess I'm benefitting from the relationship I've built up over a few years. Was your quote for valve work as well as the service?

15. Have you mailed the dealer in Carlisle?

16. I'd say you hit the nail on the head.

A few friends warned me about them, they seem to very much divide opinion around here. I have to say as a potential new customer they've not done themselves any favours with me

17. I just went to a local Indy I trust in the end, and paid about what you did.

I would have preferred Ducati service history but wasn't willing to pay double. Ducati Glasgow and Preston gave reasonable quotes, but in the end I didn't want the hassle of travelling. Didn't realise there was a Carlisle Ducati - will give them a call next time, thanks :)

18. J & L Motorcycles

19. my local indy quoted me pretty much the same as main dealer. i am still undecided about doing service myself... not planning to sell the bike so stamped book don't matter to me, but shitting myself screwing things up. on the other hand its about time i learned few new things. will only use bike for the summer. so don't want to spend silly money just on 5 months of riding. and not even every day!

20. thanks a lot. out of interest, how much would you quote for a job like that?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information