1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1098 Sigma Slippers Ordered Will This Clutch Tool Work?

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by Scott21, Jan 28, 2017.

1. Ordered a slipper from sigma on Friday and it arrives Monday Will this lazer holding tool do the trick as I can have it Monday from Amazon?

image.png

2. They are only made of some type of plastic, put under load they break.
    Steve

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. I had something similar Scott and it wasn't brilliant to be honest. I ordered an Oberon holding tool, which was spot on. Their website says it will work with the 12 tooth standard basket, the 48 tooth aftermarket clutch and EVR clutch.

They aren't cheap, but you only buy them once.

Ducati Dry Clutch Spanner Tool Essential Oberon Performance

You can buy a cheaper version here for the sigma clutch especially, but you'll need a tool to get your standard clutch off too. Hence why the Oberon one is useful.

Ducati 48 teeth Sigma clutch Holding Tool | eBay

#3 Robarano, Jan 28, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2017
  4. If you have an old steel plate laying around and access to a welder just weld a handle onto it, that's what I did and it's lasted years.
    Steve

5. Bugger! Was hoping it would do the job so I could fit in Monday

6. Like your thinking!

7. Correct me if I'm wrong. But that's fine with the standard 12T clutch, but won't work with the Sigma 48T clutch. You'd need to weld a handle onto one of your new Sigma steels.

That's why the Oberon tool is constructed with the outer teeth the way it is to fit the 12T & 48T baskets.

Screen Shot 2017-01-28 at 19.43.38.png

8. Haven't had access to a 48t clutch hub to check whether the spacings interlock with the 12t holding tool, obviously it wouldn't work the other way around.
    Steve

I have never seen the 48t close up, is the hub the same as normal with just a 48t basket and friction plates with the same steels as normal?

#8 Birdie, Jan 28, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2017
  9. Yes. '+title+' Andy

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. So my welded steel plate would still hold the center hub of that 48t slipper.
    The only difference is the outer basket and friction plates.
    Steve

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Ooh...I do like a post about massive tools!

• Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  12. bit of a noob question here.... what's the benefits of a slipper clutch over the standard? can give them more stick? aimed at track days Etc?

Cheers

13. The purpose of the slipper clutch is to prevent the rear wheel from locking up as you change gear back down the box shall we say vigerously. The clutch centre rotates only a few degrees which lifts it up on the ramps releasing the pressure on the plates. Although some will disagree, IMO such as it's worth, if you are track daying, it will eventually become essential. Andy

#14 Android853sp, Jan 29, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1

14. Nice one cheers Andy appreciate your info

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. Another noob question guys. Ive only been out on my1098s a few times so far on greasy roads but changed down a couple of notches and dumped the cluch to see if I could induce a mini lockup or tell if the bike has a slipper fitted, no drama resulted. Is it possible to tell if a slipper is fited just by removing the cover? Sorry if its a dumb question, the bike has lots of bling fitted by previos owners. Cheers Rick

16. I wouldn't go dumping the clutch if I was unsure if it had one. These machines will throw you off if you haven't and get it wrong.

17. If you have a slipper clutch the under side of the pressure plate will be smooth.
    [​IMG]
    not a brilliant picture of a standard plate but you see the teeth which engage with the clutch centre.
    [​IMG]

Andy

18. Cheers Scott I've been really cautious so far, you'd laugh your head off if you'd seen the width of the chicken strips on the rear tyre with road dirt. I'm off the road now till things dry up. What an engaging and aggressive power delivery these machines have.

19. Thanks Andy, from what I remember it's red and smooth but I'll recheck. Rick

Do Not Sell My Personal Information