1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1198 Slight Oil Leak

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by BB1000, Dec 12, 2015.

1. Ok, thought it was the oil filter plate but its not, seems to be weaping down to oil sump plug, oil level is 3/4 on sight glass so just below top mark so not over filled.
    Anyone had similar before?

2. Oil pressure switch on right side near filler plug is a problem if the oil hose to cooler recall hasn't been done, u can see from pic the tee piece added

image.jpeg

3. Ok, mine is definitely in the original place, is that a mod or a recal change? ... 2009 1198 i got
    But saying that the slight oil leak is near the sump plug, bit concerned its the crankcase near the sump and oil filter gauze plate as thats where it seems be gather

4. Thats a great idea, I'll do that, thanks for the info dude

5. True Ducati owner

6. Also, hopefully not ! but cases crack between crank and gearbox bearings

7. Had a good close up look ... Can't see any cracks ... Bike has only 7K miles .. was fine until I renewed the battery and starter motor cables lol

8. IMAG0152(1).jpg

Right, Oil leak seems to come from this join, there's oil up to the bigger blob of gasket (higher arrow) but dry above and only this side, completely dry on the other side . Dont seem as much liquid gasket on that part by the looks of it. Definitely no splits or cracks ........ please dont say the engine needs to be split ffs :(
    Or should i try and retorque the two lower bolts first?

#8 BB1000, Dec 14, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2015
  9. I would check those bolts if it were me. Is that leak after standing or after a ride, If after a ride wind force might be blowing it back from the sump plug area. Never heard of a leak there before if it's coming from the case join itself.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. All wiped clean Saturday and checked tonight.... so its definitely after standing .... all dry everywhere apart from that join ... I'll need to remove the lower down pipe to get access to the bolts so that will be friday on my day off.

#10 BB1000, Dec 14, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2015
  11. Managed to get an allen key on those bolts to tweak them up .... I'll check later if its still leaking .... splitting the cases to add new liquid gasket is the last thing im prepared to do tbh ... haven't got all the tools or knowledge to do that :(

12. I've seen a product by Frost that is for that problem never used it before, from memory you rub it over the joint and it fills in the gap and set's, sure it looks like a glue sick,

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Worth a try, thanks for that matey ... was thinking about putting jb weld on the seem tbh

14. I once had a leak from the engine cases on my rd 500. I covered the area with cold weld. Job jobbed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Just annoyed really, 7k on the bike and owned for 2 months ... so why would it start leaking just sitting in the garage :(

16. Maybe she is crying 'cos it's winter and she is not getting out to play.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Ha ha ... possibility :D .. though i been in the garage keeping her company nearly every evening lol

18. Tweaking the lower bolts has reduced the leak by 90% I'd say ... still a tiny bit of oil when i wipe my finger down the joint though, i dont think i dare tighten them anymore tbh as dont want to ruin the thread ... will see how it is at the weekend

19. Still a tiny amount leaking :( ... will order and try that oyltite stick ... failing that its a fooking strip down i cant afford at the moment :(
    So much for liquid gasket, cant beat the traditional type if you ask me.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information