1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

848 Spee 36.0 Error

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by phil4, May 3, 2016.

1. I went out for a ride yesterday, longest so far (on any bike, let alone the this one). On the return leg, I noticed that my speed was reading as 0mph, yet I clearly wasn't. It seemed to sort itself for a while, then dropped to 0 mph again. After a while it 0, it changed to the error above, which unhelpfully also removed the rev counter.

I stopped and turned it off and on again, and it was back for a few more miles, then back to 0, and then to the error.

So looking on the internet, it seems that relates to a speed sensor issue. I can see how that works and have quickly cleaned the sensor, and traced the wire back. No visible damage (albeit limited view), and have plugged and unplugged the plug fixed to the frame, just in case it was a strange connection there.

Starting the bike up and the sensor is up and reading... so it looks like an intermittent fault.

Does anyone have any ideas, why it might be intermittent, or any good ideas to remedy?

TIA

2. I'm starting to think it may be heat related... though I've no idea why or how.

On Monday, the problems started towards the end of my ride, and as the day was warming up nicely.

Today I rode it to work (about 20 miles), and no problems at all, but it was also still quite cool (10-12 degrees). On the way home no problems until right at the end of the journey, and it's quite warm (19degrees).

I'm rather puzzled if I'm honest. Clearly most of the time it works... but not all the time,

3. When I've had sensors go, they just go!

4. Had the same fault code on my 1198s with speedo reading zero. Replaced rear wheel speed sensor. Job done! Not 100% sure if yours is the same sensor but think it is. 1198s has the DTC so has a front wheel sensor as well, but think the speedo still takes reading from the rear wheel one on yours. Other members might clarify.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Thanks for the feedback, it's going back to the dealer towards the end of the month for a fix. At the weekend it didn't work once, so suspect the intermittent nature was a just a temporary thing as it failed.

Thanks CWhizz, that gives me hope too.

6. Hi Phil4, I realise this is quite an old thread now but can you confirm that it was the speed sensor? My 848 has just started showing the same fault. It wasn't intermittent at all, it just shows 0mph and the Error.Spee.360 code.
    Just wanted to check what your fix was before I take it to get fixed.
    Cheers, Deano

7. Hi Dean,

Yes, I can confirm that after the speed sensor was replaced, I didn't see that error return, and the speedo has worked since.

It's in for a service and MOT on Monday, and a new Pickup sensor, as that's now showing intermittent errors :)

8. Thanks Phil
    Could I be so cheeky as to ask a rough price if you can remember. I have 2 dealers in fairly close proximity, so might try and play them off each other!

9. Hi Dean,

Not cheeky, but I can't say as I don't know. I bought the bike with a 90 day warranty, and got it fixed just inside that period, so all done for free.

Good luck!

10. Hello Phill,
    I know this thread is a bit old, but my bike experiencing this trouble right now.. Im using SBK 848 evo and got my speed indicator randomly move up and down and then stay at 0 with engine light turn on (error code error spee.36.0)
    I do some small inspection and then found that my speed sensor cable got fried by exhaust pipe.. Im trying to repair it by remove the fried cable and swap it with common electrical cable, but no result..
    What I’m asking is, after you change the speed sensor, did you need to do something like resetting the dda or ecu? Or just swap it and then the error dissapear itself?
    Thanks in advance

11. Welcome. Why don’t you introduce yourself in the newbies section too please?

12. O
    oh sorry, I will do it now thanks

13. As the sensor is not particularly cheap do the free stuff first. Sometimes, if you are really lucky simply spinning the rear wheel with ignition on clears the MIL. As the sensor is a Hall Switch then check the flat surface of it that faces the rear disc bolts for metal debris as this can stick to the magnet and block the signal. Check the loom connector for integrity. If all this does not help then you need to bite the bullet and get a sensor.

14. Also might be a good idea to check the gap between speed sensor surface and the pulse disc thing bolted to wheel ....there are shims which can be added or subtracted to correct gap......unless your particular bike uses a different type of sensor.

15. Thanks for your answer Chris, I have actually tried spinning the wheel and cleaning the sensor head, I even have change the cable from end to end (sensor head to connector) to no result.., engine light still on and speed keep read 0..
    Did we need to reset the error message via ducati diagnostic tools after we do try something?

16. thanks for the response Gerr, I have done small inspection and I found that my speed sensor cable fried by touching the exhaust pipe, but then even after change the cable, engine light still on and the dash keep showing 0 speed.. Im gonna check the gap like you suggest tough.. did we need to reset the error message in the dash or did it will automatically disappear when the problem solved?

17. I don't know that one ....sorry ..

18. No need to reset the error using diagnostic kit

19. no problem Gerr, thank alot for your response :upyeah:

Do Not Sell My Personal Information