1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speeding I Think?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Nigel Machin, Nov 1, 2016.

1. popped out for a blast on Sunday, hit 58ish mph on a dual carriageway (40) speed limit, mobile van in the central reservation. He was sitting at the camera so I'm done for if there was a number plate camera? Thing is I had a good look at the side and front of the van for the offending item but couldn't make one out! Does anyone know if they use internal cameras on the windscreen similar to the police?
    Fingers crossed and all that!!

2. I have had a couple of times this year when I have sat for 2 weeks dreading the postie. Time will tell for you I guess.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Just hope that someone not far in front of you was speeding too and they probably won't have had time to recalibrate it..... apparently they do have side or front mounted cameras too... so we're not immune.... although I've passed loads and some of the side cameras are obvious but others not so much..???

• Like Like x 1
  4. Elaborate please.

5. I'm still waiting to hear back for my 85 in a 60

In a van!

• Like Like x 1
  6. They can't point and shoot constantly at every vehicle if multiple are speeding, i.e two or 3+ vehicles in quick succession as I've been told they need to calibrate and process which can take a minute or so possibly more, (a work colleague used to work on them)... I went through one not so long back following a car on a dual carriageway going at snappable speeds and my friends response was, you'll be fine unless they missed the cars in front you'll as they need re-calibration time (and I was.... unless of course he was asleep)... I don't know exactly what they do but can get info is anyone particularly cares...

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. It would be interesting to know what they calibrate against, why that calibration might change between "shots" and why it isn't all done automatically.

But if they can't "blaze away" then that swings the odds a little in our favour, not that I ever speed you understand.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. It doesn't need to re calibrate. Or at least the latest models don't. I went to an open day at my local nick and sat in the camera van and had a play with the camera gun. You look through it and there's a red dot that you line up at a specific point on the road, usually where vehicles come round a corner and a laser beam bounces off the vehicle and gives an instant continual speed reading, the camera then takes the photo purely for evidence. I tracked a pigeon that was flying at between 12-14 mph! It's a cushy job. The copper admitted all they do it set the camera point and leave it to it, then have a kip whilst the cash rolls in!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Clear road, came off a set of lights

10. I'd be worried if you were doing three-figures, not what you've stated. They will most likely offer you a speed awareness course if you do not have a track record for speeding & cleanish license.

• Like Like x 1
  11. 40,000 a year company car driver and clean licence, luck has definitely been on my side!

12. Keep your fingers crossed then... I guess at worst you'll be able to do a speed awareness course like the other chaps said...

13. you're right about non calibration (had a chat with my mate as I was also intrigued by what he meant), it was the older ones which had bigger delay with software.. read- very quick calibration and processing tasks but still a delay.. and were just crap apparently... what he meant about the vans, he was referring to the "human process" delay and no longer camera calibration/process delays like before...I'm not sure which county you're in but in the vans in Dorset police are not able to have a kip or knock one out etc whilst the money comes rolling in...whilst they all use the beam they need to physically initiate the process manually which means they can't hit everyone as they need to fix the camera on the vehicle they are targeting (like the handheld guns) each time and not set it to a point..thus why if there are multiple speeding it's likely to be the first one(s) they see that get it (but this all depends on heaps of variables)

14. Good luck and hope you don't get one of these ...

Day 9(i).jpg

15. the frontal area of a motorbike is harder to get several reliable readings from if it's to stand scrutiny in court, you will see a handheld-equipped officer merrily locking on cars all day but often won't bother with a solo bike mingling with traffic and definitely won't bother with a group of bikes, particularly at a distance.

#15 Chris, Nov 7, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2016
  16. Surprised an accurate reading could have been obtained from within a gaggle of motors (despite crosshairs on bike n rider) and 'shear' not be a factor. It may most often be deemed to occur as vehicles pass in opposite directions, but there must be an element of shear present due to the speed differential of 101mph vs law abiding road users presumed to be doing at best, 70mph, no?

Furthermore, the outer edges of the crosshairs clearly pick up the entire car ahead of the rider and an edge of the one nearest the camera

17. I got an average of 108mph, but no photo/video unfortunately....

• Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  18. I had no excuse - a rush of blood and I needed to hear the bark of the termi's - 6 point and a 'do not pass go' £200 fine. I was lucky!

19. I did have an excuse - I was stupid enough to overtake an unmarked police bike equipped with a video camera. I claim stupidity!

6 points, £340 fine plus costs plus some other surcharge - £550 ker*ching*! I was lucky too :)

20. Mine was an unmarked Silver 3 series BMW that I unwittingly passed at 135mph (allegedly), but I was slowing for a roundabout so the average was disappointingly low at 108! I ended up with 6 points, a £1000 fine + costs of I can't remember how much.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information