1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 DVT Succession Of Problems On 2015 Dvt

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Lgresh, Feb 26, 2016.

1. OK so far: the fuel tank gauge showing empty/ apparently a general problem (you can still ride), a leaky front fork (do NOT ride), the keyless key not working (at least you can fire the engine with the pin), and now (twice) the bike thinks the immobiliser is on/ apparently a general problem (so thé engine will not start). From your own frustrations, what else should I expect?
    Lemy

2. A replacement bike :rage:

3. Indeed one probably called a 1200GS.
    The question really is am I alone moving from problem to problem in which case I have a lemon or is everyone experiencing all sorts of issues?

4. Don't be so sure the 1200GS is problem free, ive had several and they had been problem free until I brought the latest WC version, the first one was exchanged by BMW Foc do to several faults that they could not fix and the second one had to have a new engine after 2000 miles after it leaked water and on inspection had a porous crank case, there still having corrosion issues, but one thing I must stress is Bmw do look after there customers.

My brand spanking new dvt is broke and it's not even done 1 mile, 1st time I attempt to turn on and it would not recognise the key, enter pin ok but still will not turn on, it needs a new hands free unit and software update, Ducati are aware of the problem and apparently there's a new replacement updated part. Tbh I can live with the odd electrical fault it's when there's corrosion or it needs a new engine things start to p1ss me off.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Another BMW troll in the Ducati forum! Never heard of a leaking fork before the rest are all known and already fixed bugs.

• Disagree Disagree x 6
  6. Mine's had a fuel sensor, clutch Slave, front and rear speed sensors, scu, r/h fork seal, seat cover fix, plus the updates for clock resetting etc.
    Fork seal has gone again? As has the fuel sensor.
    I'm lucky that my dealer isn't far away and is top hole.
    Still happy I've got it and not looking at anything else

• Like Like x 2
  7. My pal needed a whole new engine on his fresh 1200gs due to corrosion.

8. Sorry arihess but my fork leg was leaking and it hadn't done 2k miles.

9. My problems to date:
    1. DVT broke down after 308 miles with a DVT system problem (swarf jamming solenoid) - recovered and fixed within 3 hrs.
    2. Panel alignment was all over the place due to incorrectly positioned fuel tank - took an afternoon but fixed by dealer.
    3. Headlights couldn't be dipped far enough so washer pack was fitted to tip them down - sorted by dealer.
    4. The nose cone fairing above headlights separated from the black plastic trim - found and fixed by dealer (I hadn't noticed it).
    5. Side stand replaced on recall.
    6. Main key lost signal with bike and needed new key and updated receiver on bike - quickly sorted by dealer.
    7. Date, time and trip resets - booked in for software update.
    8. Stuck horn - booked in for further invest.
    9. Engine now cuts out when clutch is pulled in when coming to a stop - booked in for further invest.

Given all the above I ought to be looking for another bike but the truth is that I love the DVT sooooo much that I can't do it. My dealer is fantastic (Italia Moto in Lincoln city) and only 3 miles from my home. All of my bikes issues have been quickly sorted by them and they have always given me a replacement bike when mine has been in for work. I've ridden all of the competition except for the KTM1290 and, despite all of the bikes being very good, nothing else makes me grin as inanely as the DVT multi. At present, I can forgive the problems I've had thanks to the support of my dealer and the spanking performance of the bike; of course, that could change but for now I'm sticking with the DVT and hoping that all the issues get ironed out during the warranty period.

• Like Like x 1
  10. May the Force be with you (and your dealer!).

11. Only done 1200 miles
    Fuel gauge faulty (like 99% it seems) and needs the recall/reworks done yet
    Wouldnt come off steering lock when I used the bypass button, oh hold on thats because I hadnt done the pin yet...
    Panels fit as well or poorly as every bike I have ever had, lights are at their lowest and maybe still a tad high (or is that just becasue they are super bright?!)

After 3 months of not touching it, started on the button, within 5 minutes back to usual riding, comfy, smooth, fast, and built like it was designed just for me.

12. Unbelievable wer'e prepared to put up with all this shit with Ducati. I've had nothing but problems with mine and it just isn't good enough. And a good dealer is not enough...Ducati should sort their QA and put out a product deserving of the price tag. They need to realise the Multi is not the only gig in town any more.

13. Looking at the forums for the other european brands of bikes, none of them are immune to these types of issues. I nearly bought a KTM1190 before the DVT and was put off by the negative comments from owners on the forums. Maybe bikes these days are just too reliant on a mix of complicated electronics, rushed software and cheap plastic? I've been out all day today on my DVT and thoroughly enjoyed it, technology and all, but I'm still resolved to buying something seriously low tech if I ever get frustrated enough to sell the DVT.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Or maybe some expectations are too high, thinking a bike can be as reliable as a car.

15. I don't think expectations are too high bradders, when the bike is a damn sight more expensive than a lot of new cars.
    You ridden that CRF of yours yet ?

16. Only around the block. Looking forward to some gravel and mud :)

17. I don't have the DVT but had the choice of a new GS1200LC, a new KTM or 2nd hand 13 plate Multistrada GranTourismo.

I rode all 3 and the Multi won .... since then mates who bought the GS have had the engine corrosion issues and switchgear problems , the one who bought the KTM1190 has noticed corrosion and also has had issues with suspension

I have had a headlight LED not working, heated grips fail and a misfire, all sorted by the dealer I bought from FOC under warranty

The Multi is a superb bike that makes me smile everytime I ride it and fortunately I have a good dealer nearby I have known for years through 2 Kawasaki ownerships (Seastar in Norfolk who are joint Ducati/Kawasaki)

18. Wow. I'd been prepared to accept that all the corrosion/QA issues I had with my '10 were teething problems, but this and many other stories tell me that Ducati's much-vaunted Audi QA is complete BS: all of this is basic supply chain and production process QA that could and should have been sorted during line testing. Reinforces my view that Ducati quality peaked in the early-mid 2000s and has been on the slide ever since, perhaps not coincidentally related to the rise of their lifestyle marketing.

19. But BMW and KTM are also having the same issues, if not worse ..... perhaps its more of an issue with making the things more fly by wire and electronic thus resulting in more failures and issues ??

20. That does indeed seem to be the case. The impression I get though is that BMW stands by its warranty/goodwill better (I don't know about KTM - they have but a single dealer in Scotland and they have something of a mixed rep). I'd had very good warranty and post-warranty support from Ducati for all my other Ducatis but their attitude towards the issues with my Multistrada has been abysmal. I'll take a bit of a chance with an product if I know that the manufacturer will act with integrity when there are problems. What I won't tolerate is denial and bullshit and both seem to be rising commodities at Ducati, I'm sorry to say. Where next? I really don't know…

Do Not Sell My Personal Information