1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Taking Fuel Cap Apart - 996

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Cream_Revenge, Feb 19, 2016.

1. Afternoon

Taking apart a fuel cap from a 996 for painting. All in lots of tiny pieces now except for the actual cap to the ring where it pivots on opening, the round silver ring to the gold cap. How do I get the pin out that holds it in? Is it threaded or just hit it? it it one piece or 2 bars that go through?

TIA

2. It just pushes out as it's only a rod.

3. OK. I'll give it a whack then!

4. Sure on that, I've given it quite a THWACK?

5. The hinge is held on by a roll pin and can be difficult to remove and it is possible to break it if you are too rough with it.

The trickiest part is removing the hinged flap over the key locking mechanism as there are two very tiny balls and a spring that hold it in place and allow the pivot to stay up when you want to insert the key into the fuel cap lock.

To do a full refurbishment properly it is best to dismantle this as there is a small buffer pad in the mechanism that should be removed to undertake a neat job.

The best way to dismantle this is to do it in a box or something that will contain the metal balls if they fly out.

Not a job for the faint-hearted or someone with bad eyesight!!!!

6. Anyone got some small ball-bearings and a spring.

Just incase.
    Steve

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Yep, all that's apart, its the main hinge is the issue.

8. This bit.

uploadfromtaptalk1455903834303.jpg

And I didn't have all ball bearings in mine....

• Like Like x 1
  9. To add to the above the one I took apart only have one roll pin, this was an early cap with the Cagiva Elephant on it, in which case then possibly later\other models had two pins.

As for the flap over the fuel cap lock the last one I took apart was for a 998 and it definitely had two balls in it as I lost one and had to replace it with a spare from an old cap, which also had two balls. So it looks like there may be some variance depending the year the cap was manufactured.

Ducati used to make a Carbonfibre cover to place over the original lock mechanism which had no key flap and also required full dismantling of the lock and some filing of a tang, which was all described in the accompanying instructions. I did one one and never again as it was very fiddly. The roll pin on that one was only a single item.

A pin punch of the correct size is the best thing to use for removing the pin\s. I bought one from eBay just to do this job quite some time ago and replaced the original roll pin with a stainless steel one.

Having looked at the photo of the flap in the link the caps I have worked on had no in and out vents\valves on them that I recall, which seems to me to suggest that maybe a monster cap is possibly different in design to a 748-9** item. As the cap on a 748-9** bears on a rubber seal in the tank neck and then through a hose in the tank itself finally coming out of the pump plate at the bottom. Does a monster do the same?

#11 Red998, Feb 20, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  10. I have stripped at least 5 caps over the years, all with Elefant motif, and all with a single ball-bearing but more than happy to believe that earlier design may have had two but can't think how the second one would be employed as the only detent needed is when the flap is up as the spring holds it shut for the most part.

11. Do we think this may not be a 748/9*6/8 fuel cap then?

12. Also, I stuffed a hex key down aiming to be able to then hit the bent over part. It only got half way in and stopped. Meaning, I think, that it must be two pins. Probably.

13. Right, kind of given up on that bit for the moment, I'll paint round it.

Anyone know which way round the little double filter thing goes, the orange one, and its little rubber gasket. It fell out on removal.

uploadfromtaptalk1456144025620.jpg

14. And it's also slightly different on the other side so which way up?

15. Bit difficult to see exactly but I'd guess it goes in exactly how you've got it, it looks like there's a tiny rebate which corresponds with the relief "channel" in the black parts , dunno about the gasket but if the black part still on the cap is "rubbery" I'd say the gasket goes underneath the white valve bit, look really closely at it for some sort of witness mark.

16. My thoughts were rubber "8" gasket goes in, then the valve bit too. but which way up or which way round is anyone's guess!

17. This was my experience, as I have that very carbon fibre cap on the 748 road tank; it's not really a cover, it's a complete replacement petrol cap but you need to transfer the locking mechanism from your original cap not only to keep your existing key but also because it keeps the cap down :) I also had to file bits down (which seemed a bit odd!) and the instructions looked like a fourth-generation photo copy of a badly taken picture that was slightly out of focus, and the English instructions run through a translator enough times between Italian and English to make it look like English but it just didn't make sense... but I digress...

I know that the fuel caps they used were all identical up until the 999/FuglyStrada where they started experimenting with the coffin-shaped fuel cap (and it went onto the 749 and SportClassic as well, iirc?) but then went back to the same design round cap with the 1098. The old SuperSports (and some Monsters, again iirc) used the same cap but with the additional outer ring that secured it into the tank via grub screws. I wouldn't be surprised if there have been multiple revisions, including with/without the Cagivaphant, and so it's probably a later version rather than an earlier one.

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. For future reference of others.

Valves go this way up with 8 seal underneath.

uploadfromtaptalk1456481882990.jpg

The spring and ball bearing are this small

uploadfromtaptalk1456481861416.jpg

They fit in here and will ping out!

uploadfromtaptalk1456481849070.jpg

And there is also a spring in here for the locking mechanism to return.

uploadfromtaptalk1456481843232.jpg

Never did get the pin out.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information