1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tank Bag

Discussion in 'Clothing, Gadgets & Equipment' started by broke, Nov 17, 2016.

1. Does any manufacturer make a waterproof tank bag. On my recent fraught trip to Spain, along with snow it also rained a lot, so I've now discovered I hate the stupid water proof cover that comes with the tank bag. If you have it on and your moving it appears to billow to twice the size of the tank bag obscuring the clocks, and then when you need access to your tank bag (toll booths etc.,) fight to get the damn thing off and then back on again :mad:
    Anyway does anyone have any suggestions ?

2. Kreiga do Dry Packs and a Drypack convertor to use it as a tank bag and in different sizes

Haven't tried mine out in foul weather but hopefully others might have.

I use the 10 Liter and the convertor is pretty good enabling the bag to be removed or flipped easily when filling the tank or for taking with you.

I don't even notice it when riding on a 1098, I like it a lot

John

3. givi top box

detach in seconds

look shite but work

make a rack that is also QD

4. Kriega stuff is the rolls Royce of bags in my opinion.

A bit fiddly to get in to in a hurry but very, very good.

I got caught in what can only be described as an ocean falling from the sky in Luxembourg and everything was perfectly dry (apart from me).

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. What he said. :)

6. Used Kriega camel back and 10ltr bag when trail riding, and I agree it's good stuff. But to me, the bag would be a pita on a road bike with a roll top, and not as convenient as a tank lock bag is. I was just wondering if anyone made a waterproof tank lock type bag with convenient pockets with waterproof zips ?

7. What! You went too Luxembourg as well ? :)

8. Use vacuum bags inside.

9. I've had / have a number of Givi and SW Motech tank bags with tank lock rings, none of them have been waterproof. I never use the tank covers but always use a number of small, roll top, waterproof bags (e.g. Exped) for the contents. For example, I put spare gloves in a separate bag, so I can swap out for wet gloves without getting everything else wet. Also useful for storing a bottle of water, just in case it leaks.

The biggest area of weakness of all the tank bags I've owned are the map pockets, all of which get damp in a downpour.

Touratech have a tank bag for the Multistrada which uses waterproof materials and has water resistant zips ("Exp" tank bag) which comes with a rain cover and optional waterproof inner bags - so even they don't say the bag is fully waterproof :)

I've used Kriega US20 and US30 bags as tail packs, they have been fully waterproof.

10. 20% off Kriega packs at J&S this weekend

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

11. I think the problem is a mental block with most of us. If you can get your head around the tank bag being a non waterproof container, then pack your stuff in waterproof bags as other posters have said, and expect the bag to leak you are there.
    I have the SW Motech Rackpack on my Multistrada, it comes with a dri-liner bag that velcros in. Although Motech do not come out and say it, that is a clue that we should see the actual bag as sacrificial when it rains heavily.
    As stated previously, if you want or need 100% waterproof, hard luggage is the way forward.
    Jon.

12. Don't see why they can't make a water proof one. If you use a tank bag for convenience (easy access), wrapping stuff up in water proof bags to me defeats the object.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information