1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The 1198spr Build

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by Bullitt, Nov 21, 2015.

1. Hey Bullitt, One of the blokes (Lukefrs) on the site, gave me a heads up on a 1098RS swingarm in Germany. Little pricey, but after much hesitation, justification, consternation I wound up buying it. Had some hardware that came with it too, so appears they are out there. Final pieces are coming together. Will probably start the 1098 Stupid build thread soon...

#121 DJ23, Nov 16, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Nice, I look forward to following the thread.

3. You would be better off for cost saving, by buying a 1098SF arm, as they are longer than the RS swingarm and are a good alternative, along with the flat rocker.

You will need to rotate the chain eccentric the wrong way and adjust the ride height to suit.

The arm will also need trimming on the inside and re-welding a cover plate, this allows rear wheel clearance, because the wheel is adj towards the front of the bike.

• Useful Useful x 1
  4. Something nice to look at ❤️

5. I had thought about the SF arm, but I understand it is a good bit longer than the superbike unit. Thus the bike will turn much slower slower due to the increased wheelbase, plus there is a bit of a weight gain too!!

If you look at the picture below (stolen picture that is), the length difference is very apparent.

SBK v SF swinger.jpg

6. To shorten the wheelbase when using a SF arm, you need to rotate the chain adjuster the wrong way (into the bike) The arm will need relieving in the wheel contact area. You will need to chop out the back, where the tyre will hit, and recover the relived area. Not forgetting to also reset the ride height.

• Useful Useful x 1
  7. Thanks DD, but that sounds like a heck of a load of work. I'll hold out for an RS swinger - got a few feelers out there, hoping something turns up.

8. Good luck. Make sure you get the correct RS shock and ride adj bolts and nuts. (2 of each)

• Like Like x 1
  9. Thanks again. I just wish I could find one for sale - with all the bits that are needed..

10. Well, how times moves on...

Finally managed to find all of the parts to make a complete plug 'n play RS swing arm. It's complete with all Ducati parts; shortened TTX, Link, Rocker, Nuts/bolts, caliper bracket, chain sliders, carbon guards and all the other gubbins required to make it work along with some fancy-pants titanium bolts.

I'll be doing a test build up of all of the parts over the next few days, one to figure it out and two, well just to admire it. The swingarm and caliper bracket will be heading off for painting after. Any thoughts on colour? Matt black is my initial thought, but then I could match the mag colour too?

As usual, here are some nice pictures to look over...

IMG_0870.JPG

IMG_0871.JPG

IMG_0872.JPG

IMG_0873.JPG

IMG_0874.JPG

IMG_0875.JPG

IMG_0878.JPG

IMG_0880.JPG

IMG_0884.JPG

IMG_0885.JPG

IMG_0886.JPG

IMG_0888.JPG

IMG_0877.JPG

IMG_0887.JPG

• Like Like x 7
  11. Looks sweet!
    What is the difference between that and a standard arm?

12. About £23,000 :cool:. Andy

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Andy,
    Surely that's the price for an arm and a leg?

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Aye, it probably is about £23k, those two little black bolts and threaded caps are north of £1k alone.... Not that I paid that for it all, but hopefully the leg arrives next week @RickyX

The swing arm is 15mm longer, significantly stiffer, can accept proper slicks with 16.5in wheels and the setup has a more liner rate on the rear suspension thanks to the flatter link combined with the increased swinger length (better traction in turns on power apparently). It is a little heavier than the road version, but the bike isn't exactly heavy anymore.

I can't wait to get this on.

#134 Bullitt, Jun 19, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
    • Like Like x 5
  15. Like buses, many things come along at the same time.

I've been looking for a set of the aluminium/silicone DP coolant hose kits for a very very long time, much longer than the RS swingarm and thanks to an great lead (thanks Nick) I have managed to secure a full kit. Delighted.

Needs a proper clean up, but the kit is in great condition.

IMG_0892.JPG IMG_0893.JPG

• Like Like x 3
  16. Oh here we go! Bullitt, where in the world did you track down all that kit?

I have some new parts too, one big one on the way...

17. @DJ23 I have some excellent friends and contacts out there through years and years of looking.

Hens teeth and rocking horse poo come to mind for these parts.

18. Not a significant update, but the swing-arm is making some progress. It's back from the workshop where it was stripped back, all the bearings and spacers were removed and cleaned. The guys also prepped the caliper bracket for powder coating and it turn out really nice I think.

The carbon was cleaned up, rubbed back and lacquered. Steve at C-Tech does produce some brilliant carbon products.

I also too the the chance to have the rear subframe painted. There were a few little nicks and scratches here and there, so I had to strip the entire back end off the bike. It was well worth it though, subframe looks better than new if you ask me.

Not sure when I'll get the swingarm on as busy, but hopefully soon as I have all the parts I need.

More pictures!!

IMG_1060.PNG IMG_1061.PNG IMG_1062.PNG IMG_1063.PNG IMG_1064.PNG IMG_1067.PNG IMG_1068.PNG IMG_1069.PNG IMG_0894.JPG IMG_0895.JPG IMG_0896.JPG IMG_0897.JPG IMG_0898.JPG IMG_0899.JPG IMG_0900.JPG IMG_0901.JPG IMG_0902.JPG IMG_0903.jpg IMG_0905.JPG

• Like Like x 6
  19. Finally got around to putting the RS swinger on. Probably the easier of installs I've had to do, but did take a good 6 hours to strip it all down and then install the new parts. Just waiting on a chain to arrive.

Best tip was to loosen all of the frame bolts as the swingarm with all it's spacers is a snug fit on the right side. Thanks @DJ23 . All in all, it was a simple swap out that needs a good bit of planning. Should make a big difference.

IMG_0907.JPG

IMG_0908.JPG

IMG_0909.JPG

Quick game of spot the difference...!

IMG_0911.jpg IMG_0913.JPG IMG_0914.JPG IMG_0915.JPG
    Out with the old, in with the new.

IMG_0918.JPG IMG_0920.JPG IMG_0921.JPG IMG_0923.JPG IMG_0924.JPG IMG_0926.JPG IMG_0927.JPG IMG_0928.JPG IMG_0929.JPG IMG_0930.JPG IMG_0931.jpg IMG_0932.JPG
    More pics to follow.

• Like Like x 10
  20. Fabulous :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information