1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thieving Scum

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by Casp, Apr 2, 2017.

1. Do they prevent the scenario of damaging the bike cos you forgot to remove the disc lock??

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. If I'm right, the roadlock type he's talking about give you basically zero movement. No chance of a run up to damage the discs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  3. Good point O.R. I see no reason why a Ducati accessory Disc lock shouldn't incorporate something to inhibit starting and riding away whilst the lock is deployed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

4. Thanks for pointing them out. I'd not heard of them before ... Just googled them and they look interesting ... ROADLOK

Edited to add ... Watch the "How it works" video from the tab at the top.

5. Sounds good :)

6. Got roadloks on each of my bikes... Expensive but the best disc locks out there!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. RADIAL ONLY... :(

8. Thanks for the feedback, good to know someone on here is using them. I'm just looking at some YouTube reviews ...

9. Broke a couple of mud guards in years gone by doing exactly that.... Doh... Now use the bungy cord to brake lever :upyeah:

• Useful Useful x 1
  10. I've got a top of the line Abus alarmed disc lock which I use when I'm out and about. It's not gonna stop someone lifting the whole thing up and putting it in the back of a van with the alarm going.

11. I'm going to be getting an Abus disc lock too and absolutely agree with you. But what's the alternative as it's the same problem with a chain unless you can find something to secure it to, which typically there won't be anything secure enough in that location and you'd need a chain long enough to go round or through what your securing to, so plenty of extra weight to carry. But even then, chains and locks are quickly, quietly and easily defeated, so an expensive chain and lock won't help either and once cut they'll either push it down the road with a scooter, or load it into a van.

Let's not kid ourselves, any reasonable security that we can use is only a visual deterrent to a determined thief. A delay measure at best. With such a variety of small, light, powerful industrial tools available, there's absolutely nothing you can put in the way that can't be beaten with enough time and determination, and that's all we're buying when we use these security measures, time. Time to stop the professional thieving scum bags from nicking our pride and joy, or just the low life opportunists from even bothering to have a go.

You use a chain and lock, I'll use industrial bolt cutters or a can of liquid nitrogen and a hammer. You use a disc lock and I'll use a portable grinder, or as you say, just lift it into a van and deal with it later.

In my opinion, the best chance of not having it stolen when parked up, is multiple security devices and make it more visually unobtainable than the bike you're parked next to. Of course, if your 1299 is parked next to a piece of crap, that may not help either :tearsofjoy: Alternatively try not to leave it parked up in public view for too long.

It's a horrible thing for us to be discussing, as I've not even picked up my new bike yet. But we (I) just need to be realistic to the fact that since my last bike, thefts have sky rocketed, criminals are becoming less concerned about being caught and therefore more brazen with their efforts and I'm about to own (as you all do) something very desireable to them.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. My solution would be buying a big chain and padlock and leaving it secured to something at work if I commuted.

When I commuted to work on the bike in the past that place had a secure parking garage and I was on an old GSXR, so there were more desirable bikes than mine.

If I worked there again or somewhere else where commuting on the bike made sense I'd buy a nice big chain and put it around a post or something. Beyond that there's not much I could do. But I am pretty happy when it's chained and disc locked. I do have a smaller chain but I don't really wanna carry it around when I go into town for a coffee or something and don't take a bag.

• Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 1
    • Love You Love You x 1
  13. thanks db. Had lots of mates posting all over the shop. Spoke to a local ex bike thief I know and he's made inquires and said he has an idea who may have taken it but unless they still have it and I can find the whereabouts, both of which are unlikely, there is still not alot I can do.
    I know what id like to do but the reality is quite different.

14. +1 for Roadlok

IMG_0443.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  15. Yep. They got my vote... 3 times!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

16. Unfortunately you can't get away from the fact that most bikes are easy to lift into a van, or to attack with tools including battery powered angle grinders. I don't have the answer to thieving scum, but I wouldn't just rely on a disk lock, however much it cost.

17. I wouldnt say it was but it's better than nothing.... Tbh I never really leave my bike anywhere, where I cant see it... Had one knicked years ago so I know how it feels.. Theres nothing worse...

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

18. I think another question is..... Are you prepared to risk a criminal record yourself should you catch someone knicking you're stuff? Most of us would say no as we're (I think) responsible adults and think forward in life but (and the problems that a criminal record could present) , thieves don't.... Cos they're fucking idiots...

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

Do Not Sell My Personal Information