1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Too Scared For A Ducati?

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by EL54, Feb 15, 2017.

1. If anything, I am sure we can agree that buying a bike, and for sure buying a Ducati is a ´heart thing.' If it was just rational or simple logic we would all stick to a family estate car (although nothing wrong with estates.)

2. Hi,
    I've just bought an 848 Evo... My first Ducati, picked it up yesterday (so only just registered on here) for my first ride, very nervous, completely different to the Triumph Daytona's i've owned. Wondering if i made the right choice. I'm more of cruising speed rather than racing, which would normally suggest a Ducati is not for me! I'm in the nervous category with you ELS4...

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ouch!

BMW call it a Touring... :/

4. Hi "Stupid",

How's the healing process????

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. My first ride on a Ducati was a 748, hated all 10 minutes before i crashed it.

Didn't ride another for about 12 years. Still felt awful but bought her anyway, my 996, as I REALLY wanted one. LOVE HER NOW. Get the tyre pressure right and new rubber if its old and the suspension set up, normally £50, and do a few hundred miles and it's a whole new world.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Same reason I bought my Hypermotard. Saw the first one in 2005 when they were introduced and said to myself that I wanted one no matter where, when or how.

Finally bought mine in 2015. It's how it is. Go for it and enjoy!

As they say: "Better to have loved and lost, than never to have loved at all."

• Like Like x 1
  7. Cream_Revenge, was the crash rider error or bike issues? - Now i have a Ducati, all the "...his front end gave out..." comments from MotoGp are coming back into my mind...lol...

8. Again thanks to everyone.

I not worried about riding one- I'm worried about it being in a garage with a mega bill and not being able to ride her.

I'm past my track days and at my age it's hard enough to put on my leathers let alone facing laps. All in all, you can blitz anything if you push it to far, so for me this is a opportunity to ride one of the most beautiful bikes that ever existed. I will do this with the most solicitously mindful use of the throttle (at least for the 100 miles)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. As I understand it, the main worry with the 916 etc is the prospect of worn or flaking chrome plating on the valve gear. Buying a 998 with the Testastretta motor should avoid that

• Useful Useful x 1
  11. Front end washed out at Cadwell park

13. Buying a Ducati is the same as buying a Alfa it's as mutch a style or look than just performance it's how it makes you feel just looking at it, if you want 100℅ reliability buy a Honda.
    I still have the Blackbird and 916 bought new in 97 the Blackbird has coved 100k miles but it's the 916 that stores the blood just looking at it

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Prevention better than cure get a piggy bank and save for services while your waiting
    Get a cheaper duke to ride to get used to the tractor noises or rattles etc
    The 996 is nice
    The 600 SS was cheap to run :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. I've got an alfa romeo and a ducati and neither has cost me a penny in breakdowns etc. The new stuff is just as reliable as any other brand.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. A very, very big piggy bank. Already once owned a Monster S4 so pretty much used to all the noises. I didn't have any problems with it, (at all) but only kept it for 6 or 7 months, before needing the capital in order to finish a car renovation.
    Funny, but at the time less worried about everything?

• Like Like x 1
  17. Camelfarmer- love your type of comments...

• Like Like x 1
  18. Don't worry everyone....I eventually managed it.

• Like Like x 1
  19. I have an Alfa and 4 Ducatis.
    2 of which have returned to my house on " The Big Yellow Taxi" (AA Van)! (Including the car.)

Edit: and one pushed home.

Still love them all for their style and performance!

#39 RickyX, Feb 16, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
  20. I had a 147 and a Brera the 147 never a minutes trouble
    The Brera probably the best looking Alfa ever made when it went it was amazing let down by dodgy electrics induction noise was amazing

Do Not Sell My Personal Information